FM Spectrum Replan - Perth

Trying to think of any other FM stations that have been on 3 different frequencies under a permanent licence…

The only one that springs to mind is ABC Classic FM Orange… started on 98.9, then 93.1 and now 102.7.

2 Likes

Braidwood FM tested on 92.3 back in 2003, before gaining a permanent licence on 94.5. We then of course moved to 88.9 to accommodate the 2EC conversion:

You did say permanent licence but I thought I’d mention it nonetheless. I’m struggling to think of one as well.

2 Likes

Yes, there’s been a few that have changed frequencies twice, but were nearly all before when granted a permanent licence.

1 Like

Fresh FM/3CCC in Bendigo/Castlemaine started in 1982 on 103.9 before moving to 89.5 (for some of its time on that frequency they shared it with Phoenix FM) before moving to 101.5

3 Likes

Thanks!

Though wasn’t the 3CCC 89.5 licence cancelled (which got reallocated to ABC News Radio) and they then had re-apply for the 101.5 licence when that came up?

Option 1 would be the better option so that all 6 commercial services are on FM. It would be a good outcome for listeners and for Grant and Nine.

1 Like

Nine and Grant Broadcaster’s wouldn’t sell. Having a presence in the Perth market is significant, including the valuable DAB+ spectrum.

ARN and Nova already have a few extra stations on DAB+ so they wouldn’t be too concerned about not being able to launch new FM services in Perth IMO.

Absolutely. It is highly unlikely it will happen in other cities. If it were to happen, I would say Adelaide will be next in line but I can’t see it happening in the 3 eastern capital cities.

1 Like

On the contrary, it’s in their vested interest to reduce competition. Plus I can’t imagine Grants/Capital saying no to an over-inflated offer for the 6iX FM licene.

2 Likes

Yes that may be true, they could easily make an offer but I can’t see Grant and Nine selling a valuable FM license in the country’s 4 largest market. If they sell, they lose the DAB+ spectrum: Grant have 160 kbs and Nine has 128 kbs, which is significant.

If anything, Nine would probably convert 6GT to FM and keep 6PR on DAB+ only.

Moving 6PR to DAB+ only would kill the station almost immediately.

7 Likes

They may decide that it’s better to have a music station on FM rather than a talk station, if they can make more money through advertising revenue, or they may just keep 6PR on FM if they see that station as a priority. Anything is possible.

the cost of running 6PR would make it impossible to be viable just on DAB. It needs to be on AM and/or FM.

4 Likes

Who’d buy it though? It’s in neither ARN or Nova’s interest to do a deal to undo the Nova ownership arrangement - as ARN buying it would let them format a station as KIIS and compete directly with Nova, and Nova making it a Smooth station would likely grab lots of audience from 96fm.

And Grant/Capital owning it ensures they’ll use it ineffectively and be no real risk.

I’m 100% sure you’d see 6PR stay on FM - people listen to the AM talk stations in spite of them being on AM - not because of that. Especially as the other talk format stations from the ABC and Triple M will also be on FM there.

4 Likes

ARN owns 96FM outright - the Nova JV is solely for 937. Nova therefore have the most to gain and the most to lose.

Granted, ARN selling out of Nova 937 to launch a CHR in Perth could make for an expensive gamble: a lot of energy for an increased revenue percentage (100% for the new KIIS vs 50% for 937) that may not amount to an increase in revenue. With that said, blocking your closest competitor is priceless.

3 Likes

I suppose I totally forgot that Nova would be free to buy it without an impact on the JV.

Though, just to wildly speculate for a sec - a crazy move I would think would work well for all, would be to let 6PR die, and sell Nova the 6PR frequency in return for 5AA. Would probably be easier than to pry 6IX away from Grant/Capital. I could see Nine giving up on Perth Radio, and Adelaide is a lot easier to network with 3AW than Perth is.

4 Likes

As per existing legislation, if two extra commercial licences were made available in Perth (unlikely), it would create a second Cat 1 DRMT, a huge increase of digital spectrum in Perth.

That’s unlikely to happen, so let’s not get carried away.

It is a consequence not mentioned in the consultation paper, that more commercial licences would trigger the creation of a second Cat 1 DRMT.

1 Like

How it will work out in Perth is the same as everywhere in Australia with the CRA cabal.

All owners are cosy with each other, all facing commercial limitations due to their penny pinching ways destroying audience and revenue growth.

CRA members are all keen to maintain the status quo.

We will see complaints within about IX & PR converting to FM but the cabal will let it through/get over it so long as no new licences are added.

New licences is the biggest scare to all owners, especially in this financially conservative environment they’ve been in for at least the last twenty years.

There won’t be any wild moves, no one has cash, appetite or brains for that.

What’s a pity out of all of this is that West Coast Radio aren’t the owners or JV shareholder in 6IX. Then Perth would’ve had an innovative programming approach as seen on the very successful and creative gap filler that West Coast have executed with 91.7 The Wave.

Expect some concern from them about the 0.4 MHz spacing with a 40kW Bickley blowtorch next to their modest output.

3 Likes

It’s actually better off than Coast 97.3 - as it’s sandwiched in between 96.9 SBS and 97.7 Classic, both at 100kw

1 Like

Well said. I think you’re spot on.

5 Likes