FM Spectrum Replan - Perth

??? Do the ACMA live in the TARDIS or something (where cause follows effect)? The above is the cause and this would be the effect:

We have:
consulted on:
5 options to replan analog radio services in Perth

Seems we have regressed from “5 options” to replan to “potential” to replan!

4 Likes

Yes the ACMA is very much KPI driven. Just tick the key boxes (“potential”, “options”, “consultation”, “feedback”) even if not the correct order!

3 Likes

I think nothing will happen with the Perth FM replan. The preferred option where all AM stations convert to FM is a) brave (i.e. will set a precedent for other metro areas), b) complex (need to negotiate with existing operators and slots are moved around, advertise the change across 5 stations) and c) will lock out FM from any future expansion / new operators.

The other options are dog’s breakfast / arbitrary and the most obvious option to move the music-orientated stations (6iX, RN, maybe ABC Perth) to FM and leave the talkie stations (ABC Newsradio, 6PR) on AM is based on actual format which is a no-no (even though there is a clear as day difference with music on FM rather than AM where for talkback AM actually sounds better)

3 Likes

Wish there was one about enforcement of allocated licences - and not this situation of services never getting to air year after year.

4 Likes

FM conversions aren’t just about giving clearer sound. It’s also about ensuring there is adequate reception. In a world where AM reception is reducing due to the noise floor and AM radios are becoming less popular there is also a business case for the popular talk formats to be on FM. You could argue that’s where DAB comes in, but I think FM will outlive DAB.

5 Likes

I agree, 2GB would still be a powerhouse on fm but they would need to educate their older listeners on how to switch to fm.

My elderly mother is technologically illiterate, if the radio station accidentally gets changed she rings me for instructions. These are rusted on listeners who probably have not hit the fm switch.

2 Likes

This is the only reason there’d be support for any of the models for change among existing broadcasters. Because based on population growth, there is absolutely grounds for new allocations. Filling up the FM with ABC stations is quite a good option in that regard, and allowing 6IX and 6PR to convert is a relatively low price.

6PR almost certainly would stay with a talk format, and 6IX is already beating Triple M while on AM!

5 Likes

So it looks like the FM conversion in Perth, if it does go ahead, will be in 2023?

1 Like

I am OK with it going ahead in 2023, but not if it will be decided in 2023 (so will go ahead in 2024). Once a decision is made it takes up to 12 months for a simple conversion (as when 1116 AM converted to 93.7 FM for Mandurah) let alone one requiring conversion and relocations which will probably take longer. We will be lucky to see any of the AM-FM conversions on air by 2023, and that assumes the ACMA decides on this by month’s end.

4 Likes

Will the ACMA even make a decision in 22 or even 23?

3 Likes

22 or 23 centuries, maybe.

3 Likes

Highly doubt it. I don’t think they’re in any hurry after reading the link above. It would be nice for them to pull their finger out and give some sort of indication what their plans might be. Overpaid people doing 1/10th of the work.

2 Likes

Who knows, hopefully after the election this year.

2 Likes

ABC Request for Information on FM services in Perth (and DAB+ in Mandurah).

https://www.tenders.gov.au/Atm/Show/6e7fff86-e883-4bfc-8f8f-a7de92b9bf93

The ABC has issued this Request Document to seek information from the market for the provision of FM transmission services for five high powered Perth FM frequencies to broadcast ABC Radio Perth, Radio National, ABC NEWS radio, triple j and ABC Classic services.

Additional information is sought for the provision of a potential single frequency FM network and DAB+ services in Mandurah.

The ABC is also seeking interested parties for the provision of a communications and marketing strategy for the conversion of AM listeners to the proposed change to FM frequencies in Perth. The plan will need to also assist affected existing broadcasters, who under the ACMA proposal for Perth, will need to change frequencies to accommodate the ABC high powered FM services

1 Like

What’s interesting is a four site SFN for News Radio on FM to the NW of Perth.

No such requirement for the other four services, especially the more popular local radio and JJJ as intimated on their tender requirements.

The ABC proposal assumes its three AM services be allocated FM frequencies. That ensures frequencies can be allocated to the two AM commercial licensees.

3 Likes

I think that this is the way ACMA will go. Give ABC what they want and give the opportunity for the AM commercials an chance to convert to FM.

2 Likes

According to ACMA’s FYSO 2021-26 Annual Progress Report that has just been released, further information about the replanning of the Perth FM band is set to be published sometime during Q3 2022, ie. by the end of September.

2 Likes

Awesome, that would be 18 months the ACMA has been consulting, and further information on this consultation. What happen the “decision” part of the process?

3 Likes

It will be the review of the review of the review of the review. And a decision on this review will be made in 12 months.

3 Likes

Well the federal election is over so we might get a decision before Christmas.

1 Like