Facebook To Unblock Australian News Content

I think Facebook has taken things a step too far tbh. Think about how much money they make off data handed over for free by users, yet they’re not willing to pay for any content likewise given for free that attracts users?

Theyve blocked BOM and Queensland Health… it’s a dangerous game they’re playing.

3 Likes

So all the fake news has been left in tact, and all the legitimate news removed.

Shows you how dangerous FB is

9 Likes

But the legitimate news from Canada, US and UK is still available (although for how long remains to be seen).

Then why have government departments been caught in the crossfire? Emergency organisations like SES could be next.

2 Likes

Hadn’t thought of it like this, a fair point.

On the one hand, you have an organisation complicit in genocide in Myanmar telling me I can’t post about a bushfire emergency in Australia. On the other hand, the entire news bargaining code has been written with little understanding as to how the internet works, and I have no confidence that the Morrison government of all governments can pull this off.

The best case scenario for all of humanity is mutually assured destruction for Facebook and News Corp.

6 Likes

Whatever your leaning on the issue, Facebook’s attitude of “my way or the highway” is insanely dangerous.

9 Likes

I tried searching NBC news, BBC news, NDTV news are there are no results. Facebook has blocked Australians from seeing news - all news worldwide. I’m guessing if you can still see some they just haven’t got around to blocking it yet, or its not considered news.

The WIN News pages I tried are all still working.

2 Likes

It’s their platform and they can do what they want with it. No one is forcing anyone to use Facebook.

4 Likes

Fury erupts over Facebook’s Aussie ban:

It’s such a 2 sided issue. One hand of me hopes that the government comes to their senses about this stupid plan but the other part of me wants Google and Facebook to not use my data for god knows what.

Ugly ugly ugly

2 Likes

Federal Labor having a normal one today.

4 Likes

This is a media discussion forum and many of us have been following the media for years and have enjoyed doing so, but that doesn’t mean the industry is perfect. Far from it.

I understand the hatred towards Google and Facebook for what they do but this whole situation is ridiculous.

Old media, a dying industry, expects new media to keep them alive. What old media doesn’t understand is that Google and Facebook don’t need them, but they need Google and Facebook. No news on Facebook will mean a massive drop in their (old media) visitor numbers. If they thought they had it bad before, wait until they see the full fallout from this.

Google caved because Google has other interests in Australia which they won’t give up.

Facebook doesn’t and they don’t need to care.

This was 100% self-inflicted by old media. Google and Facebook didn’t steal their content in the way they are claiming. Google and Facebook sent more people to their content than they would have otherwise had.

Old media took forever to embrace online. They didn’t innovate themselves until they had to and now they expect someone else to keep them afloat.

I hope Facebook doesn’t cave on this. Let the industry see what this will do to them and they will come crawling back.

5 Likes

Mark Latham’s Outsiders page has been wiped, and it now just has the link to his website. Facebook considers Latham’s website to be a news website??

1 Like

Ticketek Australia Facebook page is affected too. I think they have cast the net a bit wide.

1 Like

What are you talking about?

Facebook has done this because their revenue and bottom line is under threat. If other countries like cañada and France start to follow Australia- you’re talking tens of billions of dollars to Facebook.

They care. Oh boy, do they care.

6 Likes

The official media release mentions “Australian publishers”. It’s deliberately vague, and their implementation has clearly been messy.

1 Like

I meant they don’t need to care about the media industry. Of course they care about their bottom line.

1 Like

No one has claimed their content has been stolen.

They are claiming their content is worth something of value.

And google and FB have just proven that. In massive ways.

1 Like

The Australian Unions page is still available, but Facebook has blocked sharing the website.

2 Likes

I reckon if they really wanted to cause more havoc, they’ll block Australian access to Instagram and Whatsapp if they don’t get what they want. Watch people crack the shits then. :rofl:

3 Likes

Here in the UK, Sky News UK has been removed from FB also.

1 Like