ESPN

Minor point in all of this - will ESPN show filler programming in New Zealand when their NBL Coverage is airing?

Sky NZ have the local rights. (https://www.sky.co.nz/-/introducing-the-sky-sport-breakers-)

Wouldnt that also happen during the Tennis?

Doesn’t ESPN show the US Open in Australia?

Not sure about the grand slams, but doesnt Spark have the WTA?

edit: im an idiot, the WTA is on bein here

From what I understand they couldn’t guarantee coverage with their other sporting properties (tennis in January, Golf in November, league season starting earlier and earlier etc) taking priority.

that was before SBS was announced as the FTA broadcaster. That tweet I thought was satire.

The NRL season actually started pretty late this year with the first game of the regular season being played on the 14th of March?

But yeah, I get your overall point. With their other (and probably more popular) sporting properties I can understand why Nine are letting go of the NBL.

Yeah, must be all those other sports 9 had on 9Go stopping them from covering the NBL on 9Go…
:upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face::upside_down_face:
You’ll find the NBL wanted more games on FTA, 9 weren’t happy to commit to Sunday 5pm and giving up more ad revenue to the NBL.

The 2019 FA Community Shield between Manchester City and Liverpool will be shown on ESPN tonight at 11.55pm AEST.

Ony Suggestion, a Third ESPN Channel.

All sports subscribers on Foxtel, and Vibe or Ultimate subscribers on Fetch can use the WatchESPN Australia app that has multiple live streams available. So a third channel really isn’t needed, I think.

Neither Foxtel Now or Kayo subscribers have access to Watch ESPN

Ok thanks. I’ve only ever tried it with my Fetch account.

Details of ESPN’s coverage of US Open tennis

Despite what the article says, there will be FTA coverage of US Open, on SBS, from quarter finals onwards.

ESPN have announced a expanded rights deal for the NFL. As discussed in other threads recently, the biggest change in this new deal is the addition of 2 Sunday afternoon (Monday morning in Australia) games. However, that comes at the expense of NFL RedZone which the NFL apparently decided not to licence to ESPN

What does this means for the FTA component. 7mate used to air all 3 Thanksgiving Games

I assume that coverage will be basically a blank FTA, unless 10 offers ESPN rights to share (Anti Siphon)

NFL is not on the anti-siphoning list. ESPN, in this case, would have to sub-lease the rights to a free to air broadcaster or the NFL would have to do a separate deal with one of the networks

So I suppose you’ll end up with just the Superb owl on SBS or ABC, and no other NFL on FTA.