Emergency Radio Broadcasting in Australia

This is my temporary bed in my office as its highly likely i wouldn’t get here in the morning

14 Likes

Your team is doing a great job Greg!

3 Likes

Is the ABC doing anything? Online streams seem to be networked programming.

2 Likes

NOW if only we could hear 2VM over the internet…

5 Likes

That’s dedication to the community, well done!

4 Likes

You have always been one of the more dedicated staff in the SRN network, even during my time with the network your dedication was always more then most people would ever even think about giving to their job.

Keep up the good work mate

3 Likes

Agreed. Now98.3 and 2VM wouldn’t be where they are today if it wasn’t for @hatdj. Well done.

5 Likes

Since the start of the week Len Johns has been interview local SES in a segment he calls flood watch which was originally scheduled for 2:15pm each day but pushed to 2:30pm due to SES commitments. It goes for 12 to 15 minutes This airs on both 3SH and Mixx. Sarah shift
on Mixxfm has also been extended to 3pm

2 Likes

Thanks @djpower , far from adequate for Swan Hill and typical of the poor coverage of commercial radio in regional areas insufficiently responding to a significant need for emergency broadcasting.

3 Likes

To be fair their not that much to report on apart from road closures this is a very slow beast and the river is not expecting to hit its peak (in Swan Hill) until early next month with minimum if any township flooding expected. Unlike what mainstream media was reporting Kerang has never had total isolation. Certainly roads are closed but their has always been ways in and out of town.

My biggest complaint about Ace is they focus on certain areas and make little to no mention of others. The Tyrrell Creek (which comes off the Avoca) has been flooding causing road closures out west of Swan Hill with little to no mention of it

3 Likes

I would contact Ace group PD Mat Cummins to explain this and all other very useful points you’ve made.

Both ABC Central West and ABC Western Plains have gone into bushfire mode.

Interesting that even with emergency warnings they are not using the SEWS.

1 Like

ABC Kimberley and Pilbara have gone into Cyclone rolling coverage mode overnight tonight, with dedicated programming due to the pending landfall of Category 5 cyclone Ilsa.

2 Likes

Howcome WA doesn’t seem to use SEWS and a different alert system to the eastern states?

The BOM Cyclone advices are requesting the use of the SEWS. However, the actual playing the SEWS is more at the discretion of the broadcaster to do, as it’s just a request, not a direction.

2 Likes

Seems a bit weird for them to not include the SEWS when it has been requested.
Growing up in tropical QLD, anytime we had a cyclone incoming every single cyclone warning that aired on radio and TV that I ever saw always included the SEWS when it was requested.

2 Likes

ABC Brisbane broke into programming for a short period at the top of the hour at 2pm to broadcast information about the emergency warning bushfire at Beerwah. The presenter said they would be giving updates as often as they can.

3 Likes

Good to know @Trains_and_Sports , did 4BC mention it in their program or hourly news bulletins?

2 Likes

Wasn’t listening so unsure.

2 Likes

Appreciate it @Trains_and_Sports

1 Like