Digital Radio - Technical

I heard that JB Hifi currently have 30% off most models right now.

4 Likes

The push to sell more DAB+ radio’s is probably because a lot of money needs to be spent on fixing & replacing end of life parts of the DAB network over the next 12-18 months & they also want to make some technical changes, going down a similar path to how the ABC/SBS does their multiplexing.
None of the networks want to spend that money, especially if they can’t get a reasonable return on the investment from stacks of listeners.

4 Likes

this should also be used for a Parliament Mux - at a minimum they should have live proceedings form the HOR and senate on DAB. it might not rate, but in this case its not about ratings, its about increasing access to democracy

3 Likes

It would help if more models were available, I don’t think there are as many DAB+ radios for sale now as there used to be… I have a Sony XDR-S41D which is on the way out and needs replacing but not in stores anymore and no replacement model (could probably still get it online).

6 Likes

Yeah certainly I think 10 years ago there were more models in your local bricks and mortar store to choose from.

4 Likes

Yeap for example the lacklustre offering at my local Big W earlier this year. I bought my first digital radio a Pure One at a Big W in 2009.

3 Likes

No DAB Radios from name brands on those shelves from what I can see

3 Likes

Worse still very few DAB radios!

3 Likes

If you are serious go to JB hifi: Digital Radios - Buy Best Bluetooth Radios At JB Hi-Fi

Best is the JBL tuner speaker: DAB+/FM and bluetooth streaming. What more can you ask?

2 Likes

Funny how so many of those radios are promoted while tuned to Koffee - it was such a strong brand to kill.

7 Likes

ABC multiplex seems especially strong today.

3 Likes

Have the ABC and SBS launched DAB services on the Gold Coast?

Not yet.

2 Likes

looked at getting one for my office, as i want to take my JBL tuner 1 home. almost no shops around me have them in stock. i’ll probally stick to streaming

2 Likes

I have the JBL Tuner XL (not at JB Hifi).

Its a good unit, but there’s no headphone socket and FM reception isn’t as good as the Sony or Sangean models (it’s only OK).

3 Likes

Is it just me or are the SCA stations back to sounding like crap?

No dynamic range at all, very flat and mono.

4 Likes

Switzerland plans to cut FM by Dec 31, 2024.
I do wonder if that will happen within two years; it’s a bold leap.
Anyone know what the typical bit rate is of their existing DAB+ stations?
If there was no FM & only typical DAB+ station offerings at 32kbps I think I would drop listening to radio altogether & seek my content elsewhere.

6 Likes

Looking at fmscan.org, Switzerland’s DAB+ stations are mainly 64Kbit/s or higher, with a few exceptions. Each location has three national MUXes and one local MUX.

9 Likes

One of the reasons given is: “Local radio stations can also broadcast over a much larger area than that limited by their FM signal.” I thought FM would propagate better at the lower frequencies than DAB+? Or is this referring to the crowded FM spectrum will make listening difficult when stations are too weak due to co-channel interference?

And aren’t DAB+ radios more expensive and battery hungry than FM radios?

Definitely a bold step.

2 Likes

I initially thought the same & then realised what I think they ‘meant’ was similar to, take for example, the case of 2RES (or even 2SER). These stations only have a very localised local FM footprint coverage, eg eastern suburbs of Sydney & whole of (mostly) Sydney area, where as, if they hopped on the DAB+ bandwagon (nation wide DAB+ multiplexs), they would be provided with much greater coverage, assuming duplication of their presence on each multiplex across the country.

3 Likes