Digital Radio - Technical

Ah ha, correct! Coast FM is now using EEP -1A protection and The Wave has changed to EEP -3A. I think this occurred when KIX Country SW was added to the multiplex. I have no idea why they changed this.

I observe the same as you living in fringe reception area - Coast FMs 1A often the only station decoding. Even more so during multi path costal ducting. Huge 30db+ signals from Mandurah and Perth, but Coast Fm the only station playing on.

4 Likes

Thanks @robtog and @Informer. Fascinating to read of the practical consequences of the more robust DAB error protection.

3 Likes

Elf Radio is the first Christmas station to disappear - the bits just jumped over to KIIS/Gold - making those stations 64k, but that leaves all the other stations on 32k.

So,

The Edge - 32kbps
KIIS 90s - 32kbps
Gold 80s - 32kbps
CW Remix - 32kbps
Kinderling - 32kbps
Gold 104.3 - 64kbps
KIIS 101.1 - 64kbps

Ideally for me they would move Kinderling and CW Remix over to their unused space on 9A at 32k, and then increase the bits of the other stations, but either way I think it’d be better for them to improve their digital only stations than boost the ones with FM simulcasts.

Sure personally I listen to Gold 104.3 via DAB all the time - as FM reception is quite poor in my location while DAB is fine - but 32kbps stations are just terrible to listen to, while 48k or even 40k is much more tolerable.

8 Likes

Meanwhile, in Sydney, the current bitrates for the ARN stations are as follows:

WSFM - 48kbps
KIIS 1065 - 48kbps
WSFM 80s - 48kbps
KIIS 90s - 48kbps
The Edge - 48kbps
CW Remix - 32kbps
Kinderling - 32kbps

5 Likes

Don’t know if this is the right thread for it, but…

Are there/were there any devices that would allow someone get DAB broadcasts through their TVs? (Besides what the ABC and SBS do on their DTV multiplexes) I know some DAB radios can be plugged into an aerial, as I have a Cord DAB adaptor for my stereo, but it didn’t like my aerial splitting configuration.

1 Like

Something like this one?

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/master-antenna-tv-systems-hospitals-hotels-etc/3566/89?u=motosenokia

3 Likes

I think I’ve seen one of those in a Cash Converters! wonder if it’s still there?

3 Likes

I did indeed find it at Cashies, for $75 without a manual (got it online).

Had a bit of a play, hooked it to the stereo to begin with, sounds OK, but didn’t like me hooking it up to the aerial on the roof. Did prefer me to hook it up to a powered aerial. Picked up around 40-something signals, but I suspect I need to position the aerial away from the TV.

2 Likes

It should have picked up 60+ channels.

But yes, a different aerial might help.

2 Likes

About to go and buy a longer aerial cord and extension cord so I can sit it on the window sill. The powered antenna I used for the Cord DAB addon worked.

2 Likes

The music on 2SM DAB is mono again, also mono on 2HD 97.5.

Also, a common Super Radio Network issue, there’s no sound again on FUN or Gorilla Dance, but it’s still there on ZOO.

2 Likes

2SM should rent the space out to someone who wants to use it.

5 Likes

So, an update on me buying the DGTEC DAB reciever…

I put the powered antenna up on the window sill with an extension cord. Still only around 40 stations. Same thing with the Cord DAB adaptor, although it did get the full complement with the same antenna elsewhere.

For now, I’m going to hook up a spare monitor with my Fire TV stick to the stereo and stream the stations using Tivimate, plus use it as a dedicated Spotify player, with audio going through the 3.5mm AUX cord.

That’s not to say I’ve given up on it - the system does have the ability to play MP3s through a SD card, and the idea popped into my head to use it as a jukebox. There’s also the idea of moving it to my bedroom and hooking it up to the TV that way.

I’m thinking it’s either a signal issue (I am in the north west area of Sydney), an antenna issue (even using a powered antenna with gain control), or a codec issue (it can’t decode whatever codec the signal is using, even though it’s supposed to be DAB/DAB+).

Makes you wish they’d just put digital radio capabilities into the TV itself. :thinking:

5 Likes

Has anyone in Perth had any reception issues with DAB+ in the last few days?

It seems to be breaking up a lot more than it used to in the car.

I’m mostly listening to SCA’s Old Skool 90’s Hits or whatever it’s called this week. I’ll check other operators stations too, but just wondering if there’s some issue with the signal or transmitter.

3 Likes

Smooth FM still works fine driving from around south of Perth and at home I have no problems with the other stations (including Old Skool 90s). And as these are all on the same commercial multiplex (maybe different error correction?) they should all provide the same reception performance. However I can say that the audio quality of the signal is quite variable (e.g. Smooth FM, MMM Soft, 6GT and Coles are nice and loud, while My Perth, 6iX, Old Skool 90s, Easy 80s are much softer).

4 Likes

Massive changes on the 9A multiplex in Hobart today. All SCA stations have dropped to 32kbps with lower error correction. All additional stations that have appeared currently have music relating to the label for each station. Only station without audio is ‘SHOWS’.

Presumably all from SCA I think?

Ensemble 0x1380, Label: 'DAB+ HOBART', ShortLabel: 'DAB+ HB', LTO: +660 min, ECC: 0xF0, NumServices: 30
    Audio-Service 0x1380, Label: '7HOFM', ShortLabel: '7HOFM', PTY: Pop Music (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 1, StartCU: 384, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 2-A (FEC: 3/8), Datarate: 48 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x1381, Label: 'Kix Country', ShortLabel: 'Kix', PTY: Country Music (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 2, StartCU: 432, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 2-A (FEC: 3/8), Datarate: 48 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x1382, Label: '7HO Classic Hits', ShortLabel: '7HO Clas', PTY: Pop Music (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 3, StartCU: 480, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 2-A (FEC: 3/8), Datarate: 48 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x1383, Label: '7HO River', ShortLabel: '7HO Rivr', PTY: Pop Music (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 4, StartCU: 528, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 2-A (FEC: 3/8), Datarate: 48 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x1390, Label: 'Triple M HOBART', ShortLabel: 'Triple M', PTY: Other Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 16, StartCU: 0, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
            User App 1 / 1, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', UaType: 0x2 (Slideshow), DataLen: 0 []
    Audio-Service 0x1391, Label: 'Hit100.9', ShortLabel: 'Hit100.9', PTY: Pop Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 17, StartCU: 16, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
            User App 1 / 1, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', UaType: 0x2 (Slideshow), DataLen: 0 []
    Audio-Service 0x1392, Label: 'MMM CLASSIC ROCK', ShortLabel: 'MMMCLASS', PTY: Pop Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 18, StartCU: 32, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
            User App 1 / 1, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', DSCTy: 0x3C (MOT), X-PAD type: 12, UaType: 0x2 (Slideshow), DataLen: 2 [0C3C]
    Audio-Service 0x1393, Label: 'OLDSKOOL90s HITS', ShortLabel: 'OLDSKOOL', PTY: Rock Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 19, StartCU: 48, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x1394, Label: 'EASY 80s Hits', ShortLabel: 'EASY 80s', PTY: Pop Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 20, StartCU: 64, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
            User App 1 / 1, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', DSCTy: 0x3C (MOT), X-PAD type: 12, UaType: 0x2 (Slideshow), DataLen: 2 [0C3C]
    Audio-Service 0x1395, Label: 'MMM COUNTRY', ShortLabel: 'MMMCNTRY', PTY: Country Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 21, StartCU: 80, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x1396, Label: 'TRENDING NOW', ShortLabel: 'TRENDING', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 22, StartCU: 96, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x1397, Label: 'BLENDER BEATS', ShortLabel: 'BLENDER', PTY: Easy Listening Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 23, StartCU: 112, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x1398, Label: 'GOODVIBES', ShortLabel: 'GOODVIBE', PTY: Country Music (static), AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 24, StartCU: 128, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x1399, Label: 'ALMOST ACOUSTIC', ShortLabel: 'ACOUSTIC', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 25, StartCU: 144, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x139A, Label: 'HOMEGROWN', ShortLabel: 'HOMEGROW', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 26, StartCU: 160, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x139B, Label: 'KARAOKE STAGE', ShortLabel: 'KARAOKE', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 27, StartCU: 176, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x139C, Label: 'FIT HITS', ShortLabel: 'FIT HITS', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 28, StartCU: 192, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x139D, Label: 'TOP 30', ShortLabel: 'TOP 30', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 29, StartCU: 208, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x139E, Label: 'NOUGHTIES', ShortLabel: 'NOUGHTIE', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 30, StartCU: 224, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x139F, Label: 'HEART BREAKERS', ShortLabel: 'HEARTBRK', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 31, StartCU: 240, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13A0, Label: 'STRESS FREE', ShortLabel: 'STRESS', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 32, StartCU: 256, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13A1, Label: 'YACHT ROCK', ShortLabel: 'YACHTROK', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 33, StartCU: 272, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13A2, Label: 'LATINO', ShortLabel: 'LATINO', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 34, StartCU: 288, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13A3, Label: 'COVER UP', ShortLabel: 'COVER UP', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 35, StartCU: 304, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13A4, Label: 'ROADTRIP', ShortLabel: 'ROADTRIP', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 36, StartCU: 320, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13A5, Label: 'SHOWS', ShortLabel: 'SHOWS', PTY: -, AnnouncementSupport: No, NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 37, StartCU: 336, NumCU: 16, ErrorProt: EEP 4-A (FEC: 3/4), Datarate: 32 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 1
    Audio-Service 0x13B0, Label: '7RPH Print Radio', ShortLabel: '7RPH', PTY: Information (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: Yes, Flags: 0x07FF [Alarm, Road Traffic flash, Transport flash, Warning/Service, News flash, Area weather flash, Event announcement, Special event, Programme Information, Sport report, Financial report], NumClusters: 4 [1, 2, 3, 4], NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 50, StartCU: 624, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 3-A (FEC: 1/2), Datarate: 64 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x13B1, Label: 'Ultra 106.5', ShortLabel: 'Ultra', PTY: Religion (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: Yes, Flags: 0x07FF [Alarm, Road Traffic flash, Transport flash, Warning/Service, News flash, Area weather flash, Event announcement, Special event, Programme Information, Sport report, Financial report], NumClusters: 4 [1, 2, 3, 4], NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 49, StartCU: 576, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 3-A (FEC: 1/2), Datarate: 64 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x13B2, Label: 'Edge Radio', ShortLabel: 'Edge', PTY: Other Music (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: Yes, Flags: 0x07FF [Alarm, Road Traffic flash, Transport flash, Warning/Service, News flash, Area weather flash, Event announcement, Special event, Programme Information, Sport report, Financial report], NumClusters: 4 [1, 2, 3, 4], NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 48, StartCU: 720, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 3-A (FEC: 1/2), Datarate: 64 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
    Audio-Service 0x13B3, Label: 'Hobart FM', ShortLabel: 'HobartFM', PTY: Social Affairs (dynamic), AnnouncementSupport: Yes, Flags: 0x07FF [Alarm, Road Traffic flash, Transport flash, Warning/Service, News flash, Area weather flash, Event announcement, Special event, Programme Information, Sport report, Financial report], NumClusters: 4 [1, 2, 3, 4], NumComponents: 1 (Audio: 1, Data: 0)
        AudioComponent, SCIdS: 0, Label: '', ShortLabel: '', ASCTy: 0x3F (AAC), SubChId: 51, StartCU: 672, NumCU: 48, ErrorProt: EEP 3-A (FEC: 1/2), Datarate: 64 kbit/s, NumUserApps: 0
7 Likes

That’ll be the new stations for their LiSTNR app. Getting them on DAB+ rather than being online-only saves money on music royalties.

Nova pulled this trick with their Smooth 80s/90s, Nova 90s/00s/10s/Throwbacks and Coles Radio offerings:

6 Likes

My guess is SHOWS, will loop some of the LiSTNR music documentary podcasts for the same reason of royalties.

Is this only in Hobart? I guess they need to get them on to DAB+ somewhere for the sake of music royalties.

4 Likes

Though a ‘Yacht Rock’ station in Hobart is very appropriate.

4 Likes

Well that’s a weird way for Hobart to end up with a lot of station choice and not a lot of quality/signal. Crappy that they couldn’t juggle things a little bit to ensure that Hit and Triple M Hobart were 3-A and/or higher quality.

EEP 2-A and EEP 4-A fighting it out will be good for coverage comparisons I suppose.

“LiSTNR” is an awful name, would be smart of them to have a ‘LiSTNR Showcase’ station on DAB with samplers of these various online services - either rotate per day or have a few hour blocks of each? Make more sense than Soundcloud Radio…

3 Likes