Digital Radio - Technical

true, but i’m sure vision for example would pay for access

2 Likes

Either I’m wrong, or there is actually an FM single frequency network on the Sunshine Coast.

If you look up the ABC coverage maps here: Help Receiving ABC TV and Radio
Then enter Noosa Heads,
Then choose to view by map
Then choose ABC RN at the left

You will see two transmitters, one at Nambour and one at Gympie. Both are on 94.5 MHz and have overlapping coverage with each other.

The ACMA’s TV Radio Handbook also lists ABC Radio National on 94.5 MHz in both Nambour and Gympie.

Does that mean that single frequency networks are possible on FM, not just DAB+ or DTV?

4 Likes

Yes, in analogue broadcasting, its known as synchronous transmission. Another example is ABC Local Radio on 855kHz at Pialba and Eidsvold.

3 Likes

I’m sure it’s not me, but Gold80s audio on Melbourne DAB is really choppy, like sections missed and gaps with no audio, it’s unlistenable.

ARN are generally quick to fix DAB issues, in Sydney at least, hopefully this will be fixed soon too.

1 Like

@ron12 you’re right, this is what blocks reception of previously clear channel ABC Local Radio from Mt Nardi.

@RFBurns I read the tender docs and was disappointed. Only synchronous transmission was a possible four site FM translator network from Toodyay, Chittering Valley, Bindoon with I guess coverage to Gingin.

Was hoping for a SFN for DAB+ between Mandurah too.

3 Likes

Pure One Classic has been surpassed by newer
models in terms of the signal threshold field strength.

Now many models which will resolve at EEP 3A at far lower signal strength.

4 Likes

The Pure Move R3 is also excellent for picking up a clear and consistent signal for EEP 3A and 4A.

1 Like

I guess this will not surprise anyone, but i discovered today that Melbourne’s City Link Tunnel (crossing the Yarra River) does not retransmit Melbourne DAB either.

And that Melbourne commercial DAB coverage into Geelong is still excellent. No dropouts from Corio down to the Town Centre.

5 Likes

Melbourne DAB a touch broken - SCA’s “JAZZ” and Triple M Hard and Heavy are broadcasting blank station names. I’m not 100% sure but it might be messing with the DAB Player software as I can’t view the advanced station info right now.

For some reason 3AW have renamed their extra station redirect back to ‘NTS’ rather than the ‘Newstalk’ from a few weeks back. No change to the actual usage of it however.

3 Likes

NTS has also replaced Newstalk in Sydney. It is a simulcast of 2GB.

1 Like

What they need on NTS, Is broadcasting AFL Coverage for Sydney & Brisbane & Rugby League (NRL & State of Origin) for Melbourne & Perth as an Alternative to the Popular Codes, Probably better than Nothing.

4 Likes

@Moe what other SCA digital radio change have you noticed as of today?

1 Like

Possibly related to the studio relocation? New gear in the chain not configured properly maybe?

1 Like

Oh yeah, now you mention it - Australia Today is gone. I don’t know for sure if that was today, but it would be recent.

Those bits have gone back to get most of the stations back up to 40kbps not 32.

3 Likes

Yes, there Thursday yet gone Friday without any notification to audience.

Their social media remains current, indicating the program continues. It would have to for the regional post Hadley stations.

I am surprised as SCA were keen to own and control the talk content. That requires a long term commitment.

The show only began April 2021.

To last only 15mths is short sighted.

The hybrid format of 7-9am digital and Listnr followed by simulcast 9-11am on post Hadley regionals worked well and sounded great as looped content over a three hour span.

Four stations gone from 32 to 40kbps is it?

2 Likes

Yep - if anything I’m surprised they didn’t lean into it further with some podcast replays from other talk focused shows

Yep. SoundCloud is still 32k, but otherwise all of the 9B stations from SCA are 40kbps. Blank, Blank, MMM 80s, MMM Classic Rock and MMM Country on 9A are all 32kbps.

3 Likes

Yes I am quite surprised, maybe Steven Price could do Breakfast on 2sm. Make some deal with 2sm. Although with John Laws there that probably won’t happen. I did from time to time tune in, an alternative to 2gb.

1 Like

What’s going on with the DRM at the Moment for Regional Australia?

1 Like

So JAZZ and Hard and Heavy are fixed - with Triple M 80s and Triple M Classic Rock now broken instead.

My alarm clock doesn’t seem to have an issue with them - a rescan still shows labels on those stations - but I haven’t tried factory resetting it in case it’s keeping them in memory.

Part of me thinks Australia Today wasn’t intentionally removed, just whatever’s got the other multiplex in a mess means they are running some failsafe setup?

3 Likes

What is this ‘Jazz’ station?

2 Likes