Daylight Saving

Often use that to my advantage when returning home from the Southern states at that time of the year. It could get me a cheaper flight (although the early wake up is still a pain) and still leave me time to get to work the same day.

Pitch black outside here in NQ by not long after 6:30pm tonight, despite the fact that it was broad daylight when I got up early this morning at 5:30am while everyone else was still in bed.

Really makes me wonder why the hell no one in the QLD government has had the balls to implement daylight saving over all these years!

2 Likes

And be a time traveller!

Because the good people of Queensland simply don’t want it. There was a referendum and the vote was a no with a good majority of these no votes from outside of Brisbane. People in the country don’t want their cows fading or something to that effect.

4 Likes

If you ask me, Daylight Saving is probably one of those issues where you’ll never get a 100% clear answer as to whether we should have it or not. It’s rather hard to disagree with the often trotted out opinion that we probably should either make DST completely national or scrap it entirely though.

From a Sydney perspective, personally I think it’s absolutely fantastic and if anything should probably be extended just a little. But in contrast, you’ve got people who live in country areas of NSW (particularly those away from the coast) who want DST either scrapped entirely or reduced.

As for North Queensland, don’t you guys up there generally get the better weather at the time of year DST isn’t on? I suspect this is reason why there’s not much support for DST in North QLD and other parts of Northern Australia: Because it’s the monsoon season for most of the time that DST is on, afternoon/early evening showers and thunderstorms almost every day. Even when you do get days during Summer completely devoid of showers and thunderstorms, North QLD (and NT/Northern WA as well) is probably staying indoors in front of the air conditioner during the Summer months rather than spending quality time outdoors because it’s too damn hot/humid.

In the states currently without Daylight Saving, I think it’d most likely only work in the South East corner of Queensland and from November to February at that, because you’d probably get people in Brisbane complaining that the sun isn’t up until around 7.30am at the start/end of DST if they were to follow the system that the South Eastern states currently run with.

I’ll pay that.

The ONLY way daylight saving will be put in place in Queensland is if the feds over-rule the States on the matter & that won’t happen. All you have to do is look at rail in this country to realize how the different states have always put the national intrest first…NOT

2 Likes

It takes a very brave person to bring up DLS at a dinner party in Qld.
I think here in Vic the bigger question is whether we should just permanently switch to year round daylight savings and give the average 9-5er some daylight after work in winter.

2 Likes

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:22, topic:602, full:true”]
Pitch black outside here in NQ by not long after 6:30pm tonight, despite the fact that it was broad daylight when I got up early this morning at 5:30am while everyone else was still in bed.

Really makes me wonder why the hell no one in the QLD government has had the balls to implement daylight saving over all these years!
[/quote]… And here we go again! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not trying to sound rude or anything, but FFS, every year I hear and read discussions about the lack of DLS in Qld. Probably doesn’t help that I have friends up there that go on and on about it. :persevere: Clearly the majority don’t want it for whatever reasons. I seriously can’t see this ever changing to be honest. :slightly_smiling_face:

[quote=“ando9185, post:20, topic:602, full:true”]
Was great for other things though, you could fly to Melbourne and arrive 5 minutes before you left.[/quote]Haha, that’s true! I did that on many occasions. I’d think to myself when looking at the time “geez, that was a quick flight” and then going… oh yeah, right!! :smile:

[quote=“AlanCramer, post:23, topic:602, full:true”]
People in the country don’t want their cows fading or something to that effect.[/quote]Haha, that would be frustrating I suppose. :yum:

1 Like

The QLD Government commissioned comprehensive analysis into the support/opposition to DST in 2007 and found 64% of QLDers supported it. They then chose not to follow on, so as to not lose the votes of those out west.

Thunderstorms are actually rarer up here than they are down south. Haven’t had a good storm in Townsville for a couple of years now, and while it does rain a fair bit during the Summer, we also get a lot more sunny days during summer than most people realise.

While it is quite hot/humid here often during the peak summer period, the majority of people (my family included) still spend most of our afternoons/evenings outdoors, and don’t come inside and switch the air conditioning on until dark.

In Townsville, the city is full of outdoor precincts that are thriving in the afternoon period, even moreso in the summer time than they are in winter.

A big plus for if we did have daylight saving too would be the fact that we’d actually get to enjoy the cooler part of the day instead of it happening when everyone is asleep.
The coolest part of the day in summer usually happens between about 5:00am-6:30am currently, with the temp rising sharply from there, so I’d love to have it pushed ahead an hour.

I’ve found over my years living in NQ, that the opposition to DST in this region is purely down to people being misinformed. Knowing what this area is like, I honestly could see DST working really well here if it were implemented, but that is never going to happen because a lot of people seem to think that implementing DST will mean the temperatures will somehow miraculously rise by 5 degrees.

I was mostly thinking about DST today, as it was an absolutely lovely day, and as I got home just after 6:00pm and wanted to go out for some exercise, but by the time I was ready, it was already dark outside, which seemed like such a waste given how light it is early in the morning.

While I can see why some people here aren’t fans of the idea and it sounds like it could be unpleasant at times, I could actually see it being a benefit to this area.

Above all though, there just shouldn’t be a difference in timezone on the east coast just because of a few people in Western QLD being worried about their cows fading…

Over my years of talking to people in Regional QLD about why they don’t like DST, I’ve found that most people honestly believe that DST will cause the sun to rise 1 hour EARLIER in the morning AND 1 hour LATER in the evening, and because the sun is “up” for 2 hours longer (in their minds) that means that there’s 2 more hours of time for the temperature to be hotter…
People will swear to you that with DST the sunrise and sunset will go from, example
Sunrise 5:30am
Sunset 6:30pm
without daylight saving, to:
Sunrise 4:30am
Sunset 7:30pm

1 Like

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:29, topic:602, full:true”]
The QLD Government commissioned comprehensive analysis into the support/opposition to DST in 2007 and found 64% of QLDers supported it. They then chose not to follow on, so as to not lose the votes of those out west.[/quote]Really? I could’ve sworn the support was far lower than that. Interesting. I wonder if they should commission another one to gauge whether support has changed after all these years…

[quote=“NQCQTV2, post:29, topic:602, full:true”]
I’ve found over my years living in NQ, that the opposition to DST in this region is purely down to people being misinformed. Knowing what this area is like, I honestly could see DST working really well here if it were implemented, but that is never going to happen because a lot of people seem to think that implementing DST will mean the temperatures will somehow miraculously rise by 5 degrees.

Over my years of talking to people in Regional QLD about why they don’t like DST, I’ve found that most people honestly believe that DST will cause the sun to rise 1 hour EARLIER in the morning AND 1 hour LATER in the evening, and because the sun is “up” for 2 hours longer (in their minds) that means that there’s 2 more hours of time for the temperature to be hotter…
People will swear to you that with DST the sunrise and sunset will go from, example
Sunrise 5:30am
Sunset 6:30pm
without daylight saving, to:
Sunrise 4:30am
Sunset 7:30pm
[/quote]Haha, yes, I’ve heard most of those pathetic excuses many times before. Really, they don’t even make any sense. :expressionless:

Even simpler still, ditch daylight savings, just permanently shift the time forward half an hour and thereafter leave the clocks alone!

3 Likes

It is a bit ridiculous that in a country of 24 million people we have FIVE time zones again because of DST.

I think all states/territories except WA should agree that we adopt +10.5 GMT as our time zone during summer as a compromise (so that NSW/QLD/VIC are all putting clocks forward 30 mins).

I think SA and NT should consider adopting AEST (+10 GMT) permanently too.

I think SA have considered it on more than one occasion over the years, citing some economic benefits in being in the same time zone as the eastern states, but it’s never come to anything.

Because people here in the backwards state hate change and reluctant to do things like normal states do. Heck I can’t even go to woolies on a weekend after 5pm.

I think Alan was referring to SA adopting EST.

Settle down mate…I say Backwards State, and you assume I am talking about WA? I realise there are two backwards states, but I am talking about my backwards state.

Or maybe three by the sounds of it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

You guys opened shops on weekends yet?

2 Likes