Daylight Saving

What, like every German, French or English city? Basically every advanced western European city that has had very restricted or just now relaxing Sunday trading laws?

It always makes me laugh when Sydney and Melbourne people think they’re sophisticated because of something that WA doesn’t have, when in fact WA is in line with the rest of the world. This is particularly the case because Perth is swollen with migrants from English speaking or European nations, whilst Sydneys slightly greater %, and Melbourne’s slightly lesser % of migrants are from cultures and backgrounds that don’t fully integrate.

As for people not being able to get in a supermarket after 5pm on a Saturday, I see absolutely no need. Supermarket staff shouldn’t have to alter their social lives to cater for a few bogans that want to trundle in at any time of the day.

Further, from what I’ve seen in Melbourne at least, the supermarkets post evening cater for an exclusively Asian foreign student population. We don’t have that in Perth, so why would a business open at that time of day to lose money?

Spoken like a true person from a backwards state.
I don’t know where in Melbourne you’ve been to the supermarket on Saturday night (probably the city, in which case it’s important to know that foreign students make up a very large chunk of the people living there) but I can assure you that the supermarkets are quiet busy with local residents of all ages and cultures until late on the weekend. In fact, they are one of the busiest times of the week.
The supermarkets are only open the hours they are because it’s profitable- no one is forcing them to stay open longer than they want to.

1 Like

What ridiculous and racist generalisations. Can you keep you xenophobia out of the forum please?

6 Likes

What a cliched comment. Everything I said is simply a statement of fact. How do you think supermarkets determine where they open, what lines to stock, what hours they open? Demographics, dopey. :joy:

1 Like

Exactly, they’re usually busier in the early evening than they would be 11-12 in the morning.

This has gone way off topic (and I’m at fault for this) from the daylight saving, so can we continue this in the Supermarket and Retail thread please?

2 Likes

time and time again, has shown WA don’t like it, and don’t even want a bar of it.

In the 21st century is there really a purpose for DST anymore?

Here in Tassie for sure, much better having light at 9pm than 3am. Arguments about the kids and stuff unable to cope are moot because there’s about 8 hours variance between summer and winter day length here so when the changeover occurs it’s only a few weeks before it would have been the same time anyway non-DST.

1 Like

How does the era we’re in change it?
Sunlight is good - everyone enjoys it more. DST allows people to go out at night more during summer which is good for the economy. It means we get more sunlight, which is good for health. Particularly in the southern states, this would not be as easy if it was dark before 8pm in summer. If anything, I’d say with the technology and stresses of the 21st century meaning that we choose not to wake up and go to bed with the sun, DST is more beneficial now than ever.

7 Likes

You forgot NT (everyone forgets NT).
Standardisation is good.

How about also asking Should we abolish the state (& territory) governments? (Or does everyone suddenly like politicians?)

I’d much rather get rid of “local” government (thieving councils). State government is essential to how the country runs, leaving the federal government to make decisions on nationwide and international issues. (not about liking pollies, but yeah, it hasn’t turned out well though :rage:)

2 Likes

Well we definitely don’t need 3 levels of gov’t.
I think some of the stuff state govts do now would be better standardised & so done at federal, but yeah the councils aren’t exactly representative or value for money.

1 Like

literally elected representative government but okay.

2 Likes

Yes sorry you’re right, technically, but practically… how many of us even know the names of our local councillors?

1 Like

I’m in Brisbane this week for work.
Noticed my Apple Watch is showing sunrise in the morning is at 4:44am.
Given that, it would have to start getting light around 4am.

Absolutely ridiculous that daylight saving isn’t used here, honestly.

8 Likes

As a QLD that isn’t used to Daylight saving, I have a question for those that are used to it.

After holidaying in Melbourne over the last few days, i’ve been really surprised to see how many clocks are still left on AEDT, despite DST ending a week ago.

Obviously it’s only been one week since the change, but I was actually still surprised.
Obviously in most places everything is correct.

But I have noticed a few clocks attached to billboards, in a few shops, etc. showing AEDT time still, and then where i’m staying, every single clock is still on AEDT, the clocks in each elevator, in the lobby, and all clocks inside the apartment room, all still on AEDT.

Is it common for these to not be changed for a while?

1 Like

Always takes a little while, the automated ones are so much better now with the mobile networks being pretty seamless now - before it used to be a bit of a gamble of if and when and whether your device needed a restart etc…

As for the manual ones, depends where and how long they take for people to get around to them. I remember in school each classroom teacher would get a kid to do it or do it themselves in the first lesson. But I noticed the gym I go to finally updated their clock a few weeks ago to daylight saving time which I thought was pretty pointless now that there was less than a month left.

3 Likes

The only clocks I have to change are the oven, microwave and the two in my car, and it usually is a few days before I change them as they are not that important. Everything else including my clock radio is automatic.

I honestly don’t know how the cows handle the change… without opposable digits, just how are they supposed to get the crown out on their watch?

Poor animals.

5 Likes

I’m a Victorian and I just wanted to come in here and gratuitously rail against daylight saving once again. That’s all, really.

2 Likes