Cyclone Debbie

So when did The Morning Show start, 10:30am AEDT?

Did Seven resume regular programming from midday AEDT?

1 Like

@LukeMovieMan l switched over to Seven at 10.40am and TMS was on and looking at twitter it could have started around 10.30am?

1 Like

It was just after 9:20 am in Queensland - Sunrise closer:

4 Likes

Thanks.

Yep, so 10:20am AEDT (Melb & Syd).

It’d have been ridiculous for any network to continue with rolling coverage throughout today!

Any thoughts and/or opinions on why The Today Show (in fact Ch 9 in general) performed so poorly (against Ch 7) yesterday during the Cyclone coverage? Ch 10 apparently even worse :confused:

One factor that sucked me into Sunrise for a bit (even if it’s a bad reason), is the amount of reporters on stand-by for live crosses, as well as their analysis/points, including Kochie on location in Bowen. Paul Burt (albeit how ridiculous he turned-out to be) was also another factor, for someone way down South, pained a very realistic picture.

1 Like

Not as ridiculous as yesterday. Yesterday nothing had happened. Today there was actually damage.

Just goes to show how silly yesterday’s coverage was.

1 Like

This?

13 Likes

Are Nine worried about their images being copied?

3 Likes

How do you propose networks financially support the 15 extra reports and cameramen (not to mention the other behind staff) in every single locality for the other 360 days of the year when only 2 minutes of local news and 30 seconds of sport is happening each day?

Malcolm Turnbull (and many others) describing the cyclone-affected area as being in North Queensland - I imagine that won’t go down well in the area.

Unfortunately the Big Mango survived the weather :thunder_cloud_rain:

Also tonight - multiple backgrounds

6 Likes

Mackay is the southern boundary of North Queensland…

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s a difference between ‘North Queensland’ and ‘Far North Queensland’ (which I’ve always thought as starting from around Cairns?).

2 Likes

He’s correct though. North Queensland is south of Far North Queensland, as far as I know there is a difference between the two terms.

1 Like

For those interested:

Nine had Nine News Now live into QLD from 2pm. Then Melissa Downes and Shane Doherty co-hosted coverage from 3pm - 5pm.

Seven had Afternoon coverage with Sharyn Ghidella from 3pm - 5pm.

1 Like

Becasue of the severe weather now being experienced, ABC Radio Brisbane is not broadcasting AM but is staying with the breakfast show until 8.30pm. Very late notice that all schools are closed in SEQ.

"

1 Like

A local station does not need 15 reporters and cameraman to cover a huge local story like this. Perhaps 5. A local station should have the ability to go on the air live in their own local market when something like this happens. Staff can be flown in from other locations - freelancers can be hired. Staff can be re-assigned from other areas. Just like Nine did.

Do regionals have the money for that? Having to shell out copious amounts of revenue for access to network programming and to pay for the upkeep of a huge network of transmitters probably hinder a lot of initiatives that could improve news coverage.

Channel 9 would probably barely break out the petty cash for such a thing but regionals are another story.

1 Like

WIN News microphone seen during this morning’s coverage.

5 Likes

A quick look at the stories on my snapchat feed tells me South East Queenslanders are far more panicky about rain and flooding than most Northerners were about the cyclone.

3 Likes

No, it’s just that there are 3.4 million of them!