Cricket TV Rights 2024/25-2030/31 (Seven/Foxtel)

You don’t apologise for not having something ready if it hadn’t been implied it would be ready.

That much is true. And again, I agree is should be a basic functionality. I’ve really enjoyed watching this weekend on YouTube, because I can pause/rewind!

Seems to be a running theme with FK…

Why would they? The Test season finishes with the NY test in Sydney.

The minor rounds of the AO series already are on GEM and GO and won’t need to be moved.

But the fact they even initially bid that lower amount speaks volumes. If 10/Paramount are serious about improving their offerings in Australia, then they would’ve realised that they needed to get on the front foot early and go hard otherwise they’d look like a pretender, and aim to outbid Seven/Fox in their final bids.

Bottom line is the cricket rights are going to be competitive but it’s clear where it will end up. Why would CA want to sign with a low-rating network like Ten, a network whose rating share last night was only 12% (main channel 6%)? Many more opportunities for promotions and advertising on Seven and Nine’s high rating programs. CA will not want to separate from Fox who bring a dedicated cricket channel and a streaming service in Kayo. A one-stop shop for fans who want to see every ball of every game during the summer. Fox need a partner, which is where Seven come in, (forcing CA’s hand to reduce the value of the rights).

There is no evidence of this.

1 Like

These were the days… even two thirds of these numbers would be amazing for CA…

1 Like

I don’t think CA should put it all one location. The mix across two networks 9/10 in the past drove new viewers to the game.

Both networks drive different demographics, so therefore it would benefit cricket better.

Also Fox needs cricket but cricket doesn’t need Fox.

To promote their game, it’s gone backwards with fox. ODI aren’t even an event anymore, on the 17th Nov the ODI series starts, who is even aware?

2 Likes

Probably because that low rating network helped bring big bash to the masses where it saw record breaking crowds and record breaking ratings for the program. There is no doubt 10 knew how to promote and broadcast the product.

3 Likes

Conversely, is there actually any evidence Ten bid $6b over 10 years (600mil a year) as their highest bid apart from media reports? In fact Beverley McGarvey alluded to the fact a few months ago that the number was ‘plucked from thin air’. So how are we to know 10 even made a bid that high? I guess we’ll never know.

Dare I say not many sadly…

I agree, there are many things to consider.

It seemed to be their specialty.

1 Like

Yes it was widely reported. Stop clutching at straws to suit your bizarre narrative. You have selected early articles which were speculation. Post the rights deal being signed there was coverage of $6b over 10 years and even Gil reported that they had to go back to fox/7 to push them above the 600m per season.

Can you now refrain from this weird agenda of yours?

2 Likes

We do know the figure was high because there was a record breaking bid by 7/Foxtel. Do you think they would pay that much if there wasn’t a bid from another player? Seriously this is a strange narrative you are pushing. And for what reason?

2 Likes

Same as the Dan Andrews conspiracy theory he’s been peddling. It’s all some sort of weird News Corp agenda.

1 Like

So 9,10,Fox wants all Test, ODI, T20, BBL, WBBL & women’s cricket while 7 only wants Tests?

1 Like

Rupert, is that you?

:wink: :joy:

4 Likes

Conversely, how do you know they didn’t?

At the end of the day unless any of us here are involved in discussions, I guess we’ll never know what’s right or what’s wrong if we’re not to believe the media reports.

You make a key point.

However, CA wanting BBL during especially the Aus Open (I’d guess if Nine won both they’d get all parties together and push/ agree BBL finishes by mid-Jan whether CA like it or not) and biggest question about be about ODIs and T20Is, probably all before and maybe after the AO (only real window during the AO is like Day 12, 13 and 14 during the day which is usually juniors and mixed doubles finals or the like.

2 Likes

Again considering the record breaking money 7and Foxtel spent we know that parmount went hard. I just don’t understand why you don’t want to believe it… the fascination with 7/Foxtel/Murdoch doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

7’s Test cricket coverage has been good so I don’t mind if they keep that.

With 7 only wanting the Tests, I see them retaining it if they work with 10 & paramount+. Where 7 gets Tests (maybe women’s internationals?) & 10 & paramount+ everything else.

But most likely it’s If 7 & Fox again go together where 7 gets Tests + Women’s cricket & Fox gets everything else.

3 Likes