Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

Yes but not $1b massive.

Everyone knew CA were obsessed with the magically $1b figure so after all the back and forth, why end up offering $960m?

Ten only have themselves to blame.

2 Likes

its close enough to the magic figure. has a FTA network offered that amount of money alone for AFL or NRL? probably not.

Because they wanted the full package, why else would someone stump up that sort of cash for a few months of the year.

I think your maths is a bit awry there. I donā€™t think Ten offered 960 million and Foxtel only offered 1.4 million. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cricket Australiaā€™s board includes former captain Mark Taylor who also happened to be a Channel Nine commentator.

The $1.4 should be $222,000,000, not sure how I came at $1.4. One billion is one thousand million, the combined deal from Foxtel/Seven is $1,182,000,000.

Part of the agreement is for Seven and Fox to use Fujitsu air conditioners in their commentary boxes.

10 Likes

No, mate. You should have paid more attention to what you wrote. You had millions instead of billions.
Oh, forget it. :tired_face:

Which is why I fixed it. No idea where I got 1.4 from.

I think youā€™re the one getting your millions and billions confused.

The article overwhelmingly mentions executives, rather than non-executives (i.e.) board.

Sutherland and Amarfio.

1 Like

Least next season I wonā€™t have to watch Youtube quality BBL matches on One, always shoved over to One due to Ten News and The Project.

1 Like

That article certainly improves my opinion of Ten.

1 Like

ā€œTherefore, has the Communications Minister already agreed to waive this statutory condition?ā€

Yes, on Friday he verbally waived it through. The author of that article missed an important point.

1 Like

Sure, if youā€™ve got Fox Sports or plan on subscribing.

Iā€™m fairly sure Seven would do the same thing as to not interrupt their flagship 6pm news bulletin.

According to the ABC article it was $1.2 billion ($750 million from Foxtel and $450 million from Seven)

If this is true, then although Ten might not get the rights, perhaps they should try for at least $300 million in compensation from CA. Because lets face it, Peever didnt want Ten re him calling them ā€œBottom feedersā€ .This and a possible threat of Foxtel walking lead us to the current outcome

Cricket Australia are taking a big gamble on the games future and really they only format will be reachable will be test cricket to non-pay tv sports subscribers.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/money/finance-news/2018/04/14/cricket-tv-deal-foxtel-big-risk/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Sunday%20Best%2020180415

According to The Sunday Telegraph, both Seven and Fox Sports will be able to show archives from Nineā€™s cricket coverage over the past 40 years during rain interruptions, as Cricket Australia now owns the vision.

Wasnā€™t that one of the items which could be bid on? So essentially they failed to monetise the archives. Gold star CA.

1 Like

Seven and Fox Sports might have both paid for the use of Nineā€™s cricket archives.

1 Like

The whole deal needs a gold star award to CA. I thought V8SC was the worse deal ever, but CA said watch this space we will show you how you can stuff the whole game up.

I am so looking forward to the numbers watching the cricket on Seven. I still think Seven think Test cricket is the one Aussies watch the most! :joy::joy:

Just look at last summer, and the ratings behind the one-days compare the pair! :joy::man_facepalming::joy:

2 Likes