Cricket television rights 2018 (Foxtel/Seven)

If you actually watched 7.30 you’d notice they do lots of stories on lots of notable topics. As Australia’s third largest sport by some measures, I’m fairly sure cricket is therefore warranting a story, especially for something as important and game-changing as broadcast rights.

The ABC isn’t lobbying for anything.

4 Likes

With more floating thumbs ups and love hearts going across the screen everywhere.

then the polar opposite type of comments - the shitposts and the /r/oldpeoplefacebook-styled comments.

1 Like

Here is the segment from tonight’s 7.30: http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/cricket-broadcasting-rights-up-for-grabs/9274344

I just find it strange, seeing the ABC talking about commercial broadcasting rights.

I don’t know why, just the feel, it’s odd.

I acknowledge your points.

Just like you

2 Likes

Calling all moderators

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/cricket/big-bash/new-television-deal-for-big-bash-leagues-could-include-christmas-day-fixture/news-story/bc93bedc34676ff7543e5b3a46ef7763

Cricket Australia want too much too soon. I think there is a danger that expanding the BBL will just overload spectators and viewers, and it will slowly fizzle.

4 Likes

Anybody else sick of these speculative articles, because formalities are yet to begin, mastheads must be bored.

1 Like

Nine signed more advertising deals this summer than for any previous year, yet will still lose money on their coverage of the Ashes. Nine is currently able to absorb the loss but wouldn’t be able to in future seasons if cost of the rights increases, unless Nine also gets exclusive streaming rights.

1 Like

How much of this is Nine talking it down, trying to make it less appealing to other networks. Therefore driving the price down or putting it in the heads to CBS/ten that They should just stick with BBL?

I think Ten have made it clear, now more so than ever (CBS) that they want to go hard at rights, everything included.

The viewers have also spoken emphatically.

1 Like

Let’s hope if that’s the case the new management and CA don’t do a shit deal like, V8supercars and AFL in which fox gets it all!! :grimacing::grimacing:. I hope CBS do it stand alone!!

1 Like

The Australian reports Cricket Australia will open formal talks this week on the next rights which expires in 2023. There will be individual workshops for each bidder. CA executive general manager for broadcasting, digital media and commercial, Ben Amarfio, will lead the negotiations.

3 Likes

Looking forward to following the developments over coming months.

Hope Ten (via CBS) scoop up the lot :hugs::heavy_dollar_sign:

Bit of a petty post. Do the negotiations usually require the bidder(s) to go to CA? Or CA to go to the networks? I’d assume the former, difficult given 99% of CA’s staff / HQ is in Melbourne, though networks do have a number of execs in Melbourne. Also wonder how many are usually involved, I’d guess CEOs and Heads of Sport. Doubt Seven will get involved much. Foxtel (Fox Sports) possibly big newcomer?

The obligatory Melbourne reference. How is this even remotely relevant?

8 Likes

I can’t axcess the cached version of this article. I refuse to pay for a subscription to news Corp. any other ways to view.

1 Like

there is this article:

Cricket Australia will do themselves a disservice entertaining any pay tv or internet giants. Keep it free to air. No shitty simulcast deals.

If it remains exclusive to free to air, cricket will continue to go from strength to strength.

The afl and NRL have cheapened their product by the simulcast deals and the soccer organization have ensure their sport never grows with their rubbish fox deal.

6 Likes