COVID-19: Greater Sydney & NSW Re-Opens

Agree that it’s not a good look, whilst the virus is reportedly less dangerous outdoors, this stunning late winter weather we have been having in Newcastle pretty much all week is obviously too tempting for people! We need rain to make people stay at home!

The movement of people isn’t helping our cause, we couldn’t get out of lockdown in the first week, and I think a lot of local people are preparing themselves for it to remain this way until October.

1 Like

If Daniel Andrews sent Victoria into a 7 Day Lockdown with just a tweet and no press conference, the media would have him for blood the next day.

What’s so special about Berejilklian?

Double standards!

7 Likes

It’s astonishing.

Her response to not having a press conference was “most of the state was already in lockdown anyway”.

1 Like

“Yesterday was an absolute wake up call” says Gladys. What was she waking up from? A nightmare?

5 Likes

I was yelling at the screen when she said that! Fucking hell, the wake up call was supposed to hit weeks ago.

6 Likes

Pretty weak press pack this morning.

4 Likes

Perhaps the wake up call was Chant threatening to resign if the statewide lockdown wasn’t called.

3 Likes

Its been weak for weeks now

1 Like

It feels like Gladys has given up on eradication. She is saying “no other jurisdiction” has been able to control a Delta outbreak.

‘IT IS NOT POSSIBLE’: Gladys hits back at critics as crisis worsens:

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/nsw-live-breaking-news-covid-cases-lockdown-news-latest-information/live-coverage/53427c423c8b9cb48b90ad76396a3c6a

Melbourne is having enough trouble getting on top of 20 cases. You can forget getting on top of 400.

I’m in two minds about this.

Isn’t endgame to let it rip anyway? Once we are all vaccinated (which they keep saying Xmas time) won’t it be out and about anyway?

I mean, condense it as much as possible while we are in the vaccination process but getting it back to 0? What’s the point?

I think it’s more Q1 next year right? As in all states need to hit the target together. Plus the few weeks wait post Dose 2.

I don’t think letting it rip starts until around Feb/Mar

We’re a long way from “let it rip”.

Are we really though?

1 Like

6-8 months isn’t that long.

It’s not Christmas like Gladys keeps making it out it is. The Sydney border is not opening for Christmas!

I’m not talking about the border.

The way I see it is that NSW will be open for Xmas with borders everywhere else still closed until they have reached their targets.

I don’t see the country opening as a whole on one day as some big celebration.

It’ll open as each state is ready.

NSW letting it rip before the others might become a problem for those states dragging their feet on the vaccination front.

Obvious risk to Melbourne here. They would be better off moving vax from WA to Victoria to keep it’s vax rate on par with Sydney, so if Sydney let’s it rip, and it starts leaking to Melbourne, at least they are protected.

See the thing is NSW will be in lockdown until we are vaccinated and then when we open it’ll let rip.

The NSW government won’t keep us in lockdown if we are ready to go and just because the other states aren’t ready they won’t care.

Harsh. But true.

So the other states really need to crack on and somehow be ready alongside NSW or risk outbreaks in their own state when we open up.

2 Likes

Dr Chant would no doubt be under stress. What a job. It does not help when bully-boy troll, Alan Jones, referred to her as a “village idiot” a week ago on Sky “News”

Jones has no class.

6 Likes