Community Television

Maybe if the government had an actual plan in place for the spectrum - a solid transition plan towards DVB-T2 for example - it might make sense to need to free it up. But otherwise, there’s no reason to not let them keep going - indeed they should relax the restrictions and allow them to multichannel if they wish.

5 Likes

Hopefully it stays!

2 Likes

I hope that they get an extension on FTA although I must say the few shows I’ve watched on C31 lately have been online

3 Likes

Seems to be in trouble over at WTV, maybe if they focused on proper community membership and not airing Disney movies and other content that they either can’t afford or aren’t airing quite above board they’d be in a similar position to C31 or Channel 44

8 Likes

Maybe I think we could all let a chip in if we wanted to?

1 Like

I wonder if C31, C44 and WTV could create an informal alliance/affiliation where they can exchange programming and bid together/equally contribute on new programming that fits their lineup instead of going solo? I guess it would be similar to the early years of metro channel affiliations before common ownership started taking over, like the pre-network affiliation between ATN-7 and GTV-9. But this would be kept at bay to keep each of the channels still individually-owned and local.

4 Likes

They produce very little content themselves so they have little to share, it’s all individual producers and organisations. The producers want to get the content on as many stations as possible but that usually excludes WTV which airs a lot of copyrighted material like Disney films in prime time.

2 Likes

That’s such a vague wording to ask for money - if a station can be “saved” with as little as $30,000 they either don’t need it, or they are going bankrupt soon. What on earth is a “new operation” and how much could you possibly buy with so little cash?

3 Likes

Looks like WTV Perth are gone…

As a producer which broadcasts on their channel, nice to be told… :frowning:

4 Likes

That place has never been run well, they’ve aired Disney films in prime time instead of local content and weren’t interested in connecting with the community.

5 Likes

Yet you’re given an almost better time slot and arguably way more viewers in Melbourne, says it all.

4 Likes

Wholeheartedly agree. Always been a shame to me.

3 Likes

I can’t anything about the “Disney movies” thing and need a list of which ones have been broadcast. Or are you having a “All animation is Disney” feeling @TVHead?

1 Like

This thread shows that Bambi was one movie. When I looked at the schedule last week they had some 20th Century Fox movies planned, and these would have come from Disney.

3 Likes
2 Likes

The crew that ran WTV were exiled from Access 31 for probably the same reasons…

3 Likes

Wait… so the people responsible for the failure of Access 31 were let into WTV??

3 Likes

Not sure, but Tibor has been around for yonks.

Not in this article though.

3 Likes

From Wikipedia:

At 5pm AWST on 6 August 2008, Access 31 ceased transmission after both the Lotterywest grant and the private contribution was withdrawn. CEO Andrew Brine had resigned the previous day, the station unable to pay his salary.

2 Likes

The WTV folks tried to do a lot of things during the Access 31 days, and they were always considered to be a little… out there.

2 Likes