Community Radio

i don’t have an issue with community radio sounding commercial or professional as long as they fulfill the remit they have and serve the community they are licenced to serve.

as a christian it feels that 96.5 has been moving away from this community. they used to have nightly worship sessions at 10 to 12 each night. this was axed and now the only worship is on sunday mornings between 6:30 and 9am. the rest of the time is the music mix.

if i was in charge of 96.5 there are a few things i would seriously think of doing:

1 - dump any music that is not christian. if someone wants to hear the latest kylie track - they can tune to Hit 105 for that,.

2 - i would bring back late night praise and worship every night. every night from 9 to midnight i’d be playing only worship tracks

3 - dump the 7 news simulcast. it just doesn’t fit the rest of the station.

4 - i’m split on the digital channel. theres 2 options. have it as a simulcast of the FM, or i’d turn that into an all praise and worship station.

2 Likes

Unless it’s changed, 1WAY in Canberra plays only Christian music.

2CBA/Hope 103.2 has played both Christian and non-Christian music since at least the late 1980s, and possibly earlier. So they really haven’t changed their policy about the music mix for a long time. What did change was when they dropped the 2CBA name and became Heart 103.2 the hokey 1940s to 1960s music gave way to a modern mix. The Heart name didn’t last as the then owners of Heart Hobart demanded a name change, so it changed to FM103.2 for a while, then Hope.

as does Rhema. i know it gets a bit of grief because of the way they run their business but they do know how to cater to the christian market - even much better than the capital city christian stations most times

Why would a Hobart radio station give 2 hoots about a community station in Sydney… or vice versa for that matter. It’s not like those 2 stations would ever be competing for listeners.

This was at the end of 2008.
At the time, Macquarie Regional Radioworks had a network of “Heart” stations. I forget the full extent of it, but 4SB Kingaroy was Heart 1071 for some time, as were some of the Tasmanian AM stations. 107.3 in Hobart only became Heart in December 2006, so around that time they may have been considering expanding the Heart brand into more markets.

1 Like

as does Vision Christian Radio, which narrowcast on several off-band stations across Australia.

I am in Coffs right now, heard a promo on 2CHY where I think they have missed a point… It was:

“The CHY difference… is … More Music And Less Talk… All Day”

They failed to ram home the “localism” view point, particularly in reference to the networking employed by the three local commercial radio stations.

2 Likes

CHY fail to do lots of things.

2 Likes

I can barely receive 94.1 from Gold Coast in Brisbane.

Message on their website reveals:

94.1FM is experiencing low power transmission due to the failure of a part associated with our transmitter but not the transmitter. We are waiting for a replacement part and plan to be fully operational before this Monday 7th November. We apologise for the inconvenience and thank our many listeners for your understanding and support. On-line is not affected and we recommend this service at the moment via TuenIn.

1 Like

94.1 were back to full power @ 1.30pm Saturday according to their Facebook page with what seems to be a stronger signal than previously, so perhaps the part that failed hadn’t been working for a while.

Article about community station 4RFM Moranbah

Outback radio station training 12yo students to be the journalists of the future

2 Likes

Anyone interested in 3RRR in Melbourne might be interested in the exhibition at the State Library of Victoria to celebrate the station’s 40th anniversary:

https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/on-air

4ZZZ’s has hosted a Hot 100 every year it has been on air since 1976 “to celebrate the best in home grown and overseas talent from the last 12 months.”

This year’s voting http://www.4zzzfm.org.au/hot100

1 Like

Joy 94.9 Melbourne is currently running on air ads asking for donations for ‘Vital Studio Upgrades’

Is the studio that old???

1 Like

The station has been in operation full time since 2000 or 2001? That’s 15 years, not including the various years they were in test mode.

I seem to recall that not all that long ago they were reported to be using some equipment that had been hand me downs from old stations like 3XY!

Unsurprising. I know SYN’s first on air console (likely from the SRA FM days) was handed down from TT-FM, replaced in 2012

Sunshine Coast Christian radio station Rhema FM has relaunched as Salt106.5.

1 Like

Salt? As in pillar of?

2 Likes

“Take our religious messaging with a grain of salt”

2 Likes

They should have gone for a healthy version

“Artificial Sweetener 106.5”

There is a Hawaiian Christian station station called “The Fish” (KAIM 95.5).
That would have been an interesting alternative.