Community Radio

2000 and Koori are the weakest Sydney wide community stations at my location.

I can also notice the signal difference between FBI and Nova from Gore Hill.
If FBI is at 150kw the low broadcast antenna height must be the issue.

1 Like

I have a feeling that FBI isnā€™t operating at the full 150kw that itā€™s licensed for.

2 Likes

Is the combiner and the new 16 bay antenna at Artarmon able to accomodate all Sydney high powered community stations.

FBI if they were to relocate, Fine Music, 2SER, 2000, Koori etc?

No I donā€™t think all?

I donā€™t think it was designed or intended that FBI & Fine Music would move from Gore Hill, they probably have a long contract with BA anyway?

Antenna probably could do it, & combiner modules are just added on the end as someone else joins, but the feeders up the tower would need to be replaced with larger size & probably the antenna power dividers too, to fit all on.

It was mostly to offer the opportunity if the stations wanted, to move from transmitting from the top of buildings around the city.

2 Likes

I thought Fine Music was still on top of the MLC Building in the CBD?

They have a great signal, I always thought itā€™s elevation was one reason for that, being one of the tallest buildings in the city.

They are on the roof of the Governor Phillip building in the City, and yes their signal gets out as well as anything from Artarmon or Gore Hill.

The ones that would get better coverage by moving to Artarmon would be Koori, 2SER and 2000 fm

From memory 2LND had a special condition in their licence, to protect the coverage of 2SNO (eagle fm) within itā€™s licence area. Is this still the case?

1 Like

From Radioinfo:

This Friday, RTRFM 92.1 [in Perth] will disrupt regular programming to join the millions of people across the globe taking urgent action for the planet by participating in the Global Climate Strike action, with a special live broadcast from the Perth Cultural Centre.

Read more here.

Koori Radio (2LND) 93.7 in Sydney have announced that they are having ā€œtechnical difficultiesā€ and are running packaged programming (no announcers) until ā€œnormal programming can be restoredā€.

From Radioinfo:

The board and staff of community broadcaster, Radio Adelaide, are holding a special member meeting on Monday for all financial members and volunteers to discuss the future of the station.

Since parting ways with University of Adelaide and going out on their own, Radio Adelaide has struggled to find the revenue required to keep the station operational, and they now have reached a critical juncture, requiring what they are describing as ā€œā€¦an urgent change of direction and decisions to be made.ā€

Read more here.

1 Like

PBS 106.7FM in Melbourne is being inducted into the Music Victoria Hall of Fame.

Source: Radioinfo

6 Likes

Well deserved too; I prefer it to 3RRR when in the culture capital.

Was listening to Artsound FM (Canberra) yesterday and they said on air that the future of the station is in doubt and without more funding they canā€™t continue, followed by a call for donations. A statement on their website tells a similar story (https://artsound.fm/message-from-artsounds-president/)

2 Likes

There has been serious problems there over the past couple of years due to infighting amongst members it seems. As a result membership and sponsors have both dropped off. ArtSound lost $45,000 in 2018, and the ACT government threatened to withdraw their annual grant which would have catastrophic if it had happened. The reasonably new president posted this on Facebook:

Her response to a concerned listener:

2 Likes

Itā€™s a real shame because itā€™s the only station I can stand to listen to most of the time. Unfortunately I doubt any donation that I could afford would save the station, and I hope any ā€˜re-launchā€™ does not compromise what makes it great.

Pretty pathetic if the ACT government canā€™t afford to support the station but they can afford to waste money on Sydney-based AFL teams or subsidising NSW school kids to attend our public schools for free

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure the ACMA will take kindly to Artsound suspending locally produced programming - even temporarily.

2 Likes

Yeah itā€™s not a good look openly disregarding their responsibility as a licence holder

1 Like

If they end up getting fined by ACMA it kind of negates the purpose of asking for donations

I wonder what artsACT will think when it comes to handing over the next grant.

2 Likes
2 Likes

infighting within community FM stations is nothing new. Its a power trip for the senior membersā€¦Most suffer from this issue

9 Likes