Community Radio

2023 CBAA Community Radio Awards Now Open

The CBAA is pleased to announce the launch of the 2023 CBAA Community Radio Awards. Every year we celebrate the outstanding work of community broadcasters across the country and as we take stock of a changing media landscape, we invite you to share your achievements and milestones with the sector.

"This has been a landmark year for community broadcasting, as the sector charts its course over the next 10 years with the Roadmap 2033 project and the government’s review into sector sustainability.

And you have continued your vital work of informing, entertaining and connecting with communities around Australia. Every week, you bring local music, culture, and content that brings comfort and connection to millions of Australians.

We invite you to reflect on the past 12 months and celebrate your achievements for the 2023 CBAA Community Radio Awards. While we look forward to the future, take a moment to look back on the contributions of your peers and let us know who most deserves recognition.

We’re looking forward to seeing your entries, hearing your stories and celebrating your accomplishments."

Read the awards booklet to confirm the criteria for each award as well as to review the full terms and conditions.

AWARDS FOR STATIONS

• Excellence in Indigenous Engagement
  • Best Station Production
  • Best Station Fundraising Campaign: Small Station
  • Best Station Fundraising Campaign
  • Excellence in Community Engagement
  • Excellence in Ethnic and Multicultural Engagement
  • Excellence in Outside Broadcasting
  • Best Special Event Broadcast
  • Outstanding Small Station Award
  • Tony Staley Award

AWARDS FOR RADIO PROGRAMS & INITIATIVES

• Best Radio Program – Music
  • Best Radio Program – Talks
  • Excellence in Innovative Programming and Content
  • Best New Radio Program
  • Contribution to Australian Music – Radio Program
  • Contribution to Australian Music – Initiative
  • Excellence in Indigenous Broadcasting
  • Excellence in Ethnic & Multicultural Broadcasting
  • Troy Garner Excellence in Sports Programming
  • Excellence in News & Current Affairs Programming
  • Excellence in Creative Audio
  • Excellence in Digital Media
  • Best Online Content
  • Excellence in Training

AWARDS FOR INDIVIDUALS OR TEAMS

• Excellence in Music Presenting
  • Excellence in Journalism
  • Excellence in Technical Services
  • Excellence in Technical Innovation
  • Outstanding Volunteer Contribution
  • Outstanding Youth Contribution
  • Station Leadership Award
  • Michael Law Award

HOW TO ENTER

1. Go to https://cbaa.awardsplatform.com/
  2. Create an account or log in if you already have one.
  3. Once logged in, select the category you wish to enter and click on “Start Entry”.
  4. Fill out the entry form with the required information and upload any necessary files.
  5. Review your entry to ensure that all information is correct.
  6. Submit your entry by clicking on the “Submit” button.
1 Like

No program content on 89.7 FM from 2RES due to a power failure in Waverley area for some time. First noted this yesterday evening.
More info on: Eastside Radio 89.7FM

4 Likes
3 Likes

Looks like Pulse FM Hawkesbury have a new transmitter site according to this. https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=10562172

It’s the Hawkesbury City Council comms tower which is only a few hundred metres away from the Grass Ski Park.

4 Likes

The new site is listed as the main with former site as an alternative site.
The elevation of the new site is higher & the antenna is mounted higher.
Additionally the radiation patterns are quite different & odd.
750W max erp directed mainly to unpopulated hills & 75W vs now 50W to the 90-180 degree arc azimuth which is basically all of the Sydney area & the vast majority of populated target area of Windsor/Richmond/Kurrajong area.

I can’t say I’ve noted any difference to signal levels past months.
Licence changes from June 7, 2023.

The website of Pulse FM looks a little broken with several image files not displaying.

2 Likes

Same here, I just checked and 89.9 is virtually non existent here, as it was with the current broadcaster/Grass Karts site.

It’s much worse than 2VTR Hawkesbury Radio was at Burralow Road.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised that they haven’t as yet made the move to the new site.

That’s for sure!

3 Likes

Looking at the new sites it is about 50m higher than Grass Karts, closer to 600m ASL.
Being located on the ridge line and having no obstructions to the west will improve the signal west towards Lithgow.

2 Likes

I think these new specs were similar to Hawkesbury Radios, former specs when they had a licence, and broadcast from their former Burralow Rd site.

Basically the higher the site the greater restriction ACMA imposes towards Sydney. Grass Karts was a lower site with a low antenna height so that is why they allowed Pulse to have 75W towards Sydney.

Looking at the new site it is approximately 590m ASL with an antenna height of 30m.
This will give Pulse a 40m height advantage over the former Hawkesbury Radio site. The new Pulse signal should be far superior when they eventually move sites. Pity there is no public access to the new site for us to check out.

Also I wonder what the go is with Grass Karts??? River and Faith fm have both moved from there to the Archibald Hotel, and now Pulse is moving too??

3 Likes

Notice the audio for inphase on SWR on FM 99.9 fm thought the radio had issues (very flat audio) but other stations had no issues. Got it on iheart radio now. Just curious anyone else noticed?

2 Likes

It sounds fine to me on Community Radio Plus app.

Yeah online was fine. I don’t have access to an fm radio at the moment. I think they were doing some maintenance.

1 Like

Yes noticing it too, very flat and tinny sounding at the moment, volume levels probably about 40-50 % lower then normal.

Paging @matt86

1 Like

I am currently at Putty Beach on the central coast can get SWR its tinny something is definitely wrong. Good line of sight south here. This is just a basic sangean.

2 Likes

Apparently there is an issue with SWR’s transmission

4 Likes

Its back last night. I now follow SWR in facebook :slight_smile: . Thanks @matt86 if it was yourself who fixed it.

4 Likes

That’d be laughable if it weren’t as serious as it is.

Simply unacceptable and as @RFBurns rightly replied, take it to ACMA and keep on them until resolved in your favour.

3 Likes

@Spi fantastic effort here worth giving credit to.

Excellent depth in your wider post there, well worth a read even these weeks on.

1 Like

All about the money @Tejas57 , absolutely!