Community Radio

Of course it is, would be good to hear your show up in my neck of the woods finally…

Not to sure if my ears could handle their audio processing or lack there of…

Let us know how catch on with the station manager there :+1:…. :pinched_fingers: half the business community in Richmond behind that little community station…

3 Likes

I totally agree with the “closed club” thinking of the Australian broadcasting landscape. TOTALLY AGREE!

While I wouldn’t give ACMA an Xmas Card if my life depended on it. I can see what the over all intention was when the new Radcomm and BSA Acts came into effect in the early 90’s. We must also remember ACMA wasn’t ACMA back then. When the new rules came in we had 2 government agencies involved in the running of a Broadcast Service. On the face of it you would go… what a waste! But there are unique issues involved in the running of a broadcasting service that do not need to exsit in the world of Telecommunications. ABA dealt with the finer polotics of Broadcasting and issuing of your Service License, while ACA issued the Apparatus LIcense (the one that lets you transmit the signal). Plus ACA you dealt with them for your STL that wasn’t ABA.

When you start comparing how thing are done in the likes of USA to Here. You need to fully understand the finer points before you reach a conclusion. I won’t go into the full differences but point out a major example just to show - all things aren’t peachy over there! With a Commercial Radio Service here… You belong to a Market and are given a License Area Plan (LAP). The powers in charge (ACMA) have worked out how many others can be in that market (not always accurate - but known) in the FAP stage… Plus EVERYONE is on an EQUAL strength in that market… ACMA wants everyone on the same power and at the same nominal site… All this improves coverage (foreveryone in that market). This is NOT and exhuastive list of the reasons, so don’t quote me…

In the USA… First thing is there is NO LAP… it’s called “Town Of License” with an “Area Of Coverage”. Plus this gets worse! The “variety spoken of here” comes at the cost of The Class System… used so they can squeeze more in. I can never remember which way it goes. But a Class A in FM is the opposite to Class A in AM (just to be confusing). To be on the MAX protection from the next guy you want Class C in FM (I think). The next problem is if you want to move transmission sites you might get a height restriction due to the protection of an adjacent service. Worse it could mean you can’t move as it is worked out on distances apart like comms (you DON’T belong to an area like here). This gives rise to what the guys in the USA call “Rim Shot Stations”. These are weak intoa town but they are very active selling air time in your town. Once again this is not an exhsuastive list. But you should be starting to see we do have somethings totally right here!

On the topic of “closed club”. My wish list has always been for the “out cry auction” process to be scrapped. This always sees that ACMA gets the biggest cheque from the bigger idiot that thinks it’s really worth it. Plus was possibly bully bidded into paying too much in the first place!!! (yep it happens). As one can see this keeps this in the hands of those few with big wallets (not big hearts for radio). I’ve always said a fair price should be set with everyone that wants in purchasing a ticket like in a chook raffle. You can buy as many tickets as you want. That is also how ACMA makes thier money! But there is a real chance that the small guy with ONE TICKET can still be the winner. Then we will see people “with radio in thier hearts” holding serious licenses here and there. Instead of the fattest wallet winners we have now. The same ones that are now crying about expenses to run thier extra copies of Zetta to play thier VTed (boring lifeless services) that they were stupid to pay heaps for in the first place.

1 Like

I do like the US system of how they plan and allocate FM and AM stations, its a lot more transparent, i particularly like:

• the simple frequency reuse distances for FM (e.g. two cochannel class A (5kw @ 100m aat) FM stations every 100km); and
  • the ability for any person or company to own non commercial licences, not just community groups.
  • spilting the band for use type - i.e. 88 to 92 mhz for non commercial and 93 to 108 mhz for commercial.

But we are pretty lucky here in Oz, with all the narrowcasting, NAS VHF/MF and HF options we have, if you want to have a play you can have a play.

5 Likes

What was the offer? How much did HR want for their gear? Were they giving it away for free?

Anyway, I heard from someone important that Harmony FM won the licence, and if so, why would Pulse need transmitters?

1 Like

Because ACMA said that PulseFM have won the licence!! LOL
ACMA to allocate community broadcast licence in Windsor RA1 | ACMA

6 Likes

there are wrong. its pulse fm not harmony fm

3 Likes

Cant believe everything you read online, did Vibe/WHCR get a licence? Are they still broadcasting from the Cheesecake shop in town? Their studios were delicious :yum:

3 Likes

Who/what is the ACMA, I thought Ack-Ma was issuing the licence? I wont believe anything until Ack-Ma put out a press release on their website?

1 Like

Yeah…um…OK!
The press release link has been posted here twice and so too the press release from Pulse FM.
Need any more convincing?
Maybe you should lay off the cheesecakes!

4 Likes

I assumed this was sarcasm?..

6 Likes

That’s a lot of questions… questions I really cbf thinking about or even looking into at this point in time, I think the questions best be directed to whoever this “ACK-MA” lot is…

Sound piece of advice.

Don’t know… they wasted their last days on FM, just the mystery cheesecake shop girl on vibe reading out her community announcements like usual, I couldn’t really tell you… no active presence online, and the presenters couldn’t even introduce themselves…

If anyone knows who she is? . Other than that it remains to be a mystery with WHCR/Vibe…

There was so many theory’s thrown about the community about how they used to manage to get to air… and the whole purpose of it, there was no purpose to it whatsoever… the only purpose of WHCR/Cams was to do as much damage to the 89.9 frequency as they could…

Melbourne’s 89.9 The Light began transmission 20 years ago today.

4 Likes

Since first going to air, the station has broadcast every single minute, every single hour of the past 20 years

0% downtime or 100% hyperbole?

2 Likes

Must be a decent transmitter, 20 years and no burnt out or worn components or cooling fans… performing open heart surgery whilst live on the juice?

I call BS lol

1 Like

Well their theology may well be correct, as if it’s true we have a modern day miracle in the flesh.

Who must be canonised?

1 Like

Absolutely agree, I said pretty much as such in the 2SM digi thread about two years ago, and I highly suspect someone within the network spitted chips and replied with quite a rant about me being something like “bitter and twisted” that was a laugh, but my friends and I were joking around the other day, and well, can’t resist anymore.

ACMA

Australian Criminal Media Authority

or

Australian Commercial Media Authority.

I’ll speak to them and see if I can re-arrange their letterheads and update their web presence. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Whilst DXing for Es I’ve noticed Koori Radio has been on carrier all afternoon/evening…

Funny (coincidental) you should mention that. I’m monitoring that frequency now.

I can hear at least two low level audio feeds (one is country) on that frequency accompanied with hum.
I hear that exact same problem on their internet stream, which I didn’t expect, although audio at lower level compared to what I can hear with the SDR.

A shame they still haven’t got the crosstalk / induction problems resolved. Our group has had discussions about this previously.

Just identified one station, it is indeed Koori Radio at extremely low level.
UPDATED: And confirmed with ID monitoring the other low level feed; is indeed 4AAA Murri Country. Therefore it appears the crosstalk issues Koori are experiencing are with their cabling/wiring/equipment in studio…

UPDATED: Audio issues continue today, Sunday.

5 Likes

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this, but just after 6:00pm this evening I heard Ava Max’s “Christmas Without You” on Hope 103.2. Yesterday, they played “Snap” by Rosa Linn and “Hall of Fame” by The Script/will.i.am among other hits.

1 Like

Why is this unusual?

1 Like