Community Radio

That’s no guarantee of quality. I have corrected your plainly incorrect comments numerous times and will keep a focus on accuracy.

This thread has descended to the rubbish level of L Band digital radio which doesn’t exist yet one or two members claim do. Again, wrong and deserves to be corrected.

1 Like

Hey all! I’m currently involved with Switch Brisbane and have done so on and off over the year’s, thanks for the interest!

A new Board consisting predominately of founding members took over at a SGM a couple of years back at a time when the organisation was on life support and was more than likely going to be shut down.

Some of the decisions by previous management had meant we were under a lot of scrutiny from the ACMA, however we managed to sort that all out and our license was renewed.

We’ve put a new fence around our transmission facility, started our “Schools Program” putting students from a number of local schools on air, upgraded our systems (with a brand new AM stereo transmitter slowly coming to us, we’ve been waiting around a year for that, thanks covid!), plus a whole heap of other boring backend stuff to prove ourselves to the ACMA, CBAA, ATO, etc etc.

We’re now in a much more stable position to start to look ahead at the future, to grow and to become better!

We invite anybody with any questions, comments, concerns to contact us: info@switchbrisbane.com.au or I’ll try to help out here where I can!

7 Likes

Hi @Switched,

What is the current format of Switch Brisbane? Would you say it still is a dance music station? Or are you still mixing things up with the odd Top 40 and variety music show?

2 Likes

4EB moving to FM was one of the most ridiculous decisions ever made, given the congestion that is SEQ. Not to mention the region is home to multiple markets with some of the highest growth rates in the country. I rembember thinking at the time what a joke.

2 Likes

Agree wholeheartedly @Brianc68. So many LAP updates of that era 20+ years ago were all about occupying as many high power allocations with services not of wide appeal so as to assist the ever protectionist commercial sector reduce competition or the likelihood of competition.

The now delicious irony that in their pursuit for protectionism, they have removed the ability to move AM licences to FM.

4EB moved from a 500w AM service that at night suffers from Canberra co channel within the 30km radius given to its now narrowcast use to a full power Brisbane allocation. A medium power allocation similar to the Brisbane outer metro licences would’ve been a better idea.

3 Likes

Future planning, something the ABA/ACMA have never had.

Maybe a possibility, stations like 4EB could swap frequencies with a commercial AM station wanting access to FM, maybe with a nice donation along the way to sweeten the deal.

Stations like 4BH (Music) would most likely hold more interest for the community then 4EB (Mostly Talk) and be better suited for FM.

3 Likes

That would be great, but I wonder if that’s ever happened before in this country?

3 Likes

No drama’s there… just be more informed please. When you know the maths involved like I do, it isn’t a good look.

1 Like

3YB Warrnambool converted to FM via a deal for RPH to move to its former AM allocation of 882 @Brianc68

An unfortunate swap as would be good to remove the null of 882 Brisbane away from the axis of Wynnum West to Sunnybank and out to Greenbank and beyond in the direction of Warrnambool.

4 Likes

Ah yes, I had forgotten about that one.

With this being part of the conversion to FM in solus markets though, I can’t see our luddite ACMA entertaining it in Brisbane. They would want to auction off 98.1 I’d say, should it become available.

But it goes to show there are options in SEQ, despite the ACMA being too lazy to take a look at re-planning.

3 Likes

Thanks for jumping on board and sharing that info. And I’ll tell you what, if you get up and broadcasting in full AM stereo I’ll jump on board and become a member tomorrow.

4 Likes

The full time licence for the 89.9 frequency in the Hawkesbury has been awarded to Pulse FM.

https://www.acma.gov.au/articles/2022-11/acma-allocate-community-broadcast-licence-windsor-ra1

8 Likes

Finally, an end to this mess.

4 Likes

Finally…the decision has been made.
Edit: Lol. Just noted @AustralianAerial commenced their reply with the same word as myself :laughing:
Obviously the people at Hawkesbury Radio will be disappointed. That said from my listening observations, I thought that Pulse FM would be one of the top two contenders for the licence.
Congrats to all the people at Pulse FM.

7 Likes

Does that mean no more StarterFM on 89.9FM?

1 Like

Yes that’s right, we might see if we can do one final broadcast before the licence expires, but we have a strong base online so, we will continue online and look for other opportunities.

5 Likes

Somewhat bittersweet moment for me. I’m glad it has finally been resolved but sad that “The Hawk” missed out. I congratulate Pulse on being awarded the licence and I just hope that they are successful.

8 Likes

Pulse couldn’t even resolve my complaint/concern about a particular presenters transphobic comments or let alone pull audio when required within the 40 day period… I had to kindly remind them that it is best practice to keep an audio log, and how it’s their obligation as a community broadcaster to keep audio logs for at least 60 days… unprofessional!

5 Likes

Now that the licence has been awarded, I wonder what callsign they will be given? I doubt 2VTR will be used again.

4 Likes

I’ve been wondering that too… and when the licence comes into effect.

1 Like