Community Radio

The redundancies explain why 2MBS so very rarely goes off air; I can only recall them doing so once, in about 2008. There was a big CBD wide power outage which also knocked out Koori Radio and Skid Row from memory. Luckily tropo conditions were OK and I received Power FM Bega.

4 Likes

Except they didnā€™t buy it, TXA bought it & still own it, unless they decide to pay for it.
HOPE 103.2 wanted their processor back, that was on loan to TXA for Kooriā€™s use.

3 Likes

Koori radio sounds fantastic since the upgrade. Iā€™ve found the reception quality has also improved, as itā€™s not fading out like it used to.

2 Likes

Driving along the M7 today I thought I was in Goulburn!!! SWR Fmā€™s transmitter is spitting out some decent intermodulation at the moment.

It is from 98.3 mhz and was even cochanneling with 2ST on 102.9, and cutting over the top of it near the transmitter site.
101.5 was the frequency that suffered the worst intermod.

The intermodulation was received between the Elizabeth Drive interchange and Wallgrove Rd, it was at itā€™s worst near the transmitter site.

This is the first time I have noticed this issue, and my car radio has quite a good tuner, so the intermod must be quite significant.

@matt86 are you still associated with SWR Fm?

3 Likes

Another thing I have also noticed since @RFBurns installed the new audio processor for Koori, it is has significantly reduced the over deviation onto 93.5. Before this it was quite significant and would even register a stereo signal at times. This made dxing Eagle fm very difficult. There is still some slight adjacent channel interference but that can be expected with a 50KW fm station 30Km away.

5 Likes

Yes I am and Iā€™m overdue to go up to the transmitter. It has always done that in the overload zone very close to it (never as far as Elizabeth Drive) but Iā€™ll now be keeping a close eye on it to make sure it hasnā€™t suddenly increased. By chance I only went past it on the M7 Sunday night listening to 2ST on the way home from down south and it was only just slightly noticeable in one spot. I know it does the same thing on 104.5.

SWR is currently doing a complete rebuild of the studios and broadcasting from a temporary facility using the old studio 2 equipment and standby PIE gear, so the volunteer hours have all gone into that lately.

@Ant5476 thankyou for reporting

7 Likes

@matt86 does SWR still limit power to the south? To avoid interference with NewsRadio in Goulburn and it might be or is outside of SWR licence area.

2 Likes

Please boost the signal towards Parramatta/Rydalmere :stuck_out_tongue: the work radio here is tuned to it and it can be a bit finicky.

3 Likes

@Petarkco I second that , yes can you please also boost it to Pennant Hills I have to use the internet radio here most of the time. Triple H fights with it too.

2 Likes

The original reason was to protect 2MCR (when it was on 100.5 and SWR was on 100.3, back in the 90s). But of course there is now a 400 kHz split between them, so it really isnā€™t necessary. I donā€™t think SWR is required to protect Goulburn though I could be mistaken there.

4 Likes

I thought SWR was still limited to the north east to protect 2HHH since its only 0.2 mhz apart.

The null to the south may not be a technicial one , but to limit overspill into 2GLFs area.

3 Likes

More on SWR after around 2 weeks of it being on the background at work.

The workday playlist does have a handful of songs that are played a little too often. I havenā€™t looked at any logs to confirm it but seems like some songs almost get played daily. The gems and lesser played songs do make up for it though. The decade mix is pretty spot on.

Also a big thumbs down for not playing the original version of Big Yellow Taxi, most FM commercial stations play the cover which sucks. Thereā€™s no real reason not to play the original.

5 Likes

Personally I think that is a big thumbs up :+1: for me. I canā€™t stand either versionā€¦.Each to their own I guess :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Most of these are new releases I think which is fair enough; they thrashed ā€˜Overpass Graffitiā€™ when it was new.

1 Like

Is it currently Hawkesbury Gold 89.9 that is playing non stop music (no idents) Sat arvo through to noon Sunday?

2 Likes

Yes it does but itā€™s just due to the fact itā€™s side mount on the northern side of the tower and theres not much license area to the south. SWR was licensed (2003) before Goulburn went to air sometime around 05, so it doesnā€™t affect the spec of the license. The null to the south is most profound to the SSE towards Prestons, Hoxton Park, Glenfield, Minto etc where the back of the array lines up with 2 legs of the tower.

@Radiohead There are no power restrictions to consider with 2HHH as they are in the same direction from HP as the core of SWRā€™s license area. There was a reshuffle of community frequencies in the late 90s and the then North FM were meant to move to 100.5 to be adjacent to 2MCR and WOW, not 2MCR and SWR. Apparently they wanted to stay on 100.1. Ofcourse that license was eventually issued to 2HHH and later RPH got 100.5

@Petarkco @Laoma canā€™t turn it up anymore unfortunately, youā€™ll have to take it up with ACMA :slightly_smiling_face:. But very good to know you guys enjoy listening to it. Reception issues are a common complaint to SWR from people listening outside the area.

3 Likes

Yeh mate, thatā€™s the oneā€¦ they havenā€™t had any station sponsors since the floodsā€¦ all that was playing thru the last floods when sat lunch time - Sunday came around was non stop music and munros meats wilberforce station sponsorsā€¦ even had the hide to fire off a few HR sponsors and then went on to deny itā€¦ when multiple people had heard itā€¦ some people :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I do notice this. It isnā€™t that far away from the tower and reception is not great esp on a portable radio. I wonder if it was 5kw omnidirectional could this have worked for 2ws ? Given SWRā€™s coverage I think itā€™s the perfect location for the original 2ws station on FM if it remained a western Sydney station.

1 Like

Unfortunately that is the nature of fortuitous reception, by definition. SWR probably has the best overall coverage of any sub metro community station in Sydney; you can thank the great LOS from Horsley Park for that.

3 Likes

Northside is probably on par with 99.3 FM.

1 Like