Community Radio

If they end up getting fined by ACMA it kind of negates the purpose of asking for donations

I wonder what artsACT will think when it comes to handing over the next grant.

2 Likes
2 Likes

infighting within community FM stations is nothing new. Its a power trip for the senior members…Most suffer from this issue

9 Likes

If anyone’s still interested in the situation at Artsound FM the Canberra Times have written a fairly comprehensive article

3 Likes

I’ve been following the Facebook page for 2WYR Moss Vale for some time now, and this would appear to be the fourth rebrand the station has had in just over two years.

Since 2013, the station had been broadcast under the name Youth Radio. In June 2018, it appears to have dropped this in favour of branding under the 2WYR callsign, as seen in this Facebook post and in this local news article from August of that year:

As of May 2019, the station was known as ZGen FM, and attracted local media attention for its coverage of the 2019 federal election. This change only made its way to Facebook on June 9th, but on June 16th reverted to simply ‘92.5 FM’. Meanwhile, the ZGen FM website (and online stream) remains live, with this message dated June 15th:

You asked for it and we have listened! Australia’s first Z generation radio station is going national.

While the team continues to be based in the Southern Highlands, streaming services have been expanded so the Z generation across Australia can raise their voice.

Stay tuned, there’s so much more to come.

The varied outcomes of youth licensed community broadcasters in Australia is something I find quite strange. On the one hand, you have the likes of FBi Sydney, SYN Melbourne and Fresh 92.7 Adelaide that have been able to sustain programming for more than 15 years despite forcing themselves - either formally, in the case of SYN, or through the culture of the station - to replace volunteers once they reach a certain age.

On the flip side, there’s Switch/BYR/1197 Brisbane and now Youth Radio/2WYR/ZGen FM/92.5/Music FM Moss Vale that can barely hold together a consistent programming identity. One gathers there is more to this story, and any input from those in the know at Moss Vale would be more than welcome here.

Addendum: a note on website addresses
http://youthradio.org.au/ - server not found
http://925thewyr.org.au/ - points to Squarespace, domain ‘not yet claimed’

5 Likes

The ZGen Fm idea was not to bad, it sounded unique and had a good logo to match.
Music FM on the other hand has to be one of the most genric names ever, almost as bad as Youth Radio or just using your frequency as a name.

Funnily enough, I’ve been streaming the station since writing that post and their sweepers are still branded as Youth Radio :laughing:

4 Likes

Yes that’s what I noted last night with their automated programming.
BTW how much live & local programming do they broadcast per week?
Don’t think it’s too high.

1 Like

Of course there’s no programming grid on any of their websites to check. From memory when I last checked there were a handful of programs throughout the week, maybe 3-4 hours per day at most?

This grid from March 2018 - the most recent archived I could find - suggests a lot of networking from the CRN: https://web.archive.org/web/20180313020736/http://www.youthradio.org.au/whats-on

2 Likes

RDS been generator by their audio processor

2 Likes

The signal of 2WYR is also a lot weaker these days. You need to be in a spot with excellent LOS to the SW to hear it- in normal conditions.

Which to stay on air for a youth format on AM is all the more miraculous. The 4AK of Brisbane without Bill to prop it up.

Again, digital radio for the community sector in Brisbane since 2010? Yet still haven’t grasped to heavily market the level playing field of digital radio. A shame.

5 Likes

Hawksbury Gold 89.9 silent since around 1140AEDST. MJ (Mike Jeffreys) cut off mid sentence.
Is anybody at the station monitoring output?

3 Likes

Getting silence here too, only noticed since midday, I thought there may have been an issue in switching broadcasters as I think midday Sunday is when WHCR (?) takes over again?

WHCR doesn’t got to air till Midday Monday

1 Like

3PM Lindy Loo shift started & they’re back with program content.

1 Like

Wonder how long until ACMA issues a permanent license to one of the operators. All four are scheduled to expire on December 5.

3 Likes

I noticed the 2GLF has lost their stereo pilot for a while and are broadcasting in mono as well Koori Radio has been at extreme reduced power for the last 24 hours with a signal cutting in every few minutes.

Also for any media spiers driving around I chucked on a new processor for WHCR and curious what you guys think.

4 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on this. The on/off of carrier is still happening frequently atm.

Sounding nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes