Commonwealth Games 2026 (formerly in Victoria)

Post of the day.

1 Like

Look at the financial statements for the Grand Prix corporation

3 Likes

Terrible news for regional Victoria, but that inflation really isn’t sustainable at all. A line needs to be drawn and the Vics are starting to realise money doesn’t always grow on trees.

1 Like

Oh god the mad man is actually thinking about it…sorry to doubt @BigVic

https://twitter.com/basilzempilas/status/1681093084279627777?s=46

4 Likes
1 Like

You mean, overspending on things that have meaningful, long term benefits over an ever dwindling event that is no longer the drawcard it was?

2 Likes

It’s not just a Victorian problem though, the whole country is going to face these same financial issues after the events of 2020-21.

All of the projects that the Victorian government is currently working on are very worthwhile in my view, with the exception of the West Gate Tunnel which I can see only moving the pinch points a bit further west and north.

I’m alarmed that a $1 billion investment is only going to yield 1300 homes though, that’s nearly $770,000 per home.
Surely it can be done in a cheaper way (to provide more homes for the same amount of money) perhaps prefab housing?

1 Like

This view :roll_eyes:

Im genuinely shocked by this announcement. But does seem like the right decision given the cost blowout.

It goes to show that of the last 10 Games, only 3 (94, 98 and 2010) were held outside of UK or Australasia territories (Canada, Malaysia and India respectively).

It clearly doesn’t have the impact it used to, especially against events like the Olympics. I fully believe whoever hosts 2030 will treat it like a farewell celebration of sorts, don’t see it going past then.

1 Like

Just another example of cancel culture :wink:

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly.

It already felt like the CW Games were clasping at the straws when they said Victoria were hosting it together which just didn’t make sense.

As much as some people think the economy and jobs are the be alls and end alls, if Andrews can redirect the budget meaningfully then he should come out smelling like roses.

1 Like

Smooth radio is also reporting calls for Sydney to step up and host.

2 Likes

Too bad Gladys isn’t still around, we could have had a truly regional Commonwealth Games in Wagga Wagga.

10 Likes

Being a Sydneysider I would be happy for the city to host the 2026 event but IMO I reckon it should wait until 2038 as that would be the centenary of the only other time the Harbour City hosted the games (then known as the Empire Games), in 1938.

We have the infrastructure, just some venues (such as Blacktown International Sportspark) would need to be upgraded.

1 Like

Tasmania and South Australia have ruled themselves out to host the 2026 event.

1 Like

NSW Premier Chris Minns says the state will not bid to host the Commonwealth Games in 2026#nswpol @10NewsFirst pic.twitter.com/POXsNjDQWH

— Lachlan Kennedy (@lachlan_kennedy) July 18, 2023

1 Like

With Tas, SA, Vic and NSW confirming their declination, NT out of the question, and WA on the fence about it, combined with Queensland probably wanting to focus on Brisbane, it’s likely that it’s out of Australia completely.

Commonwealth organisers must be scrambling right now.

6 Likes

Statement from Commonwealth Sport (formerly Commonwealth Games Federation)

Response to Victoria Government 2026 Commonwealth Game Host Withdrawal

We were informed today that the Victorian Government has walked away from their agreement to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games.

This is hugely disappointing for the Commonwealth Sport Movement, for athletes around the Commonwealth and the Organising Committee who are well advanced in their planning and preparation.

The reasons given are financial. The numbers quoted to us today of $6 billion are 50% more than those advised to the Organising Committee board at its meeting in June.

These figures are attributed to price escalation primarily due to the unique regional delivery model that Victoria chose for these Games, and in particular relate to village and venue builds and transport infrastructure.

Since awarding Victoria the Games, the Government has made decisions to include more sports and an additional regional hub, and changed plans for venues, all of which have added considerable expense, often against the advice of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) and Commonwealth Games Australia (CGA).

We are disappointed that we were only given eight hours’ notice and that no consideration was given to discussing the situation to jointly find solutions prior to this decision being reached by the Government.

Up until this point, the Government had advised that sufficient funding was available to deliver the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games.

We are taking advice on the options available to us and remain committed to finding a solution for the Games in 2026 that is in the best interest of our athletes and the wider Commonwealth Sport Movement.

2 Likes

Though the Gold Coast can always dream

YOUR SAY: Should the Commonwealth Games return to Queensland?

Victoria has axed its plans to host the 2026 Commonwealth Games due to budget blowouts, instead setting the money aside for a new "regional fund".

MORE: https://t.co/Qk55umxcAb#9News pic.twitter.com/7lfMKKR6NN

— 9News Gold Coast (@9NewsGoldCoast) July 18, 2023

Nine taking media conference. Games CEO disputing the costs released - overruns described as a gross exaggeration.

ABC and ABC News

1 Like