Children's television

It’s disgraceful and if they do that, they will sign their own death certificates. If you abandon providing television for children and send them elsewhere, where will your future viewers come from?

It will be like they’ll be telling them to sign up to streaming service. Then the commercial networks can get ready to completely shut down their free to air channels in a couple of decades.

2 Likes

Personally, I think commercial TV networks should have a responsibility to provide a comprehensive service to viewers as part of their agreement to use public airwaves. That includes providing entertaining and informative programing to their youngest viewers.

But I will ask a question…how often do the commercial networks even promote their children’s programing these days? It seems that unless you regularly watch the multichannels or are really in tune with what’s happening in the industry, the casual TV viewer could almost be forgiven for forgetting that the commercial networks even still produce children’s programing!

2 Likes

Apologies for the double post and bumping a topic which hasn’t been used in over 12 months, but here’s a rather interesting article from TV Tonight:

Personally, I think the commercial TV networks don’t have their children’s programs in the most accessable timeslots for the target demographic.

OK, so we’re not going to see kids programs return to 4pm weekdays on the main channels because the local news bulletins during those timeslots are way too important for Seven & Nine these days. But even if they’re still on the multichannels, surely 4pm weekday afternoons would be a better timeslot than early in the mornings when kids are either getting ready for school or weekend sport?

At the moment, I reckon it’s a joke how the commercial networks are airing C classification programs in timeslots that many kids mightn’t be able to watch for their entirety.

Going by the online guides for some of the shows…8am weekdays when many kids probably aren’t able to watch a 30 minute show in full because they’re getting ready to go to school? Absolutely ridiculous, especially with the commute times in the major metropolitan markets these days although even in regional/remote areas, people there are generally early risers and can sometimes have longer travel times for school.

Weekend timeslots for C classification programs aren’t much better: 8.30am, 11am, 11.30am & 12pm Saturdays or 10am Sundays when many kids are probably at Sport? Give me a break…

4 Likes

I love how that Bridget Fair (an ex-Seven executive) essentially said The Bachelor isn’t shown in a 7:30pk slot, Knoxy picked her up on it :joy:

Somebody please fast-track Where’s Waldo :slight_smile: Surely the perfect show for ABC Kids?

I loved the original series.

1 Like

Does anyone think Toasted TV should be taken off 10 Peach since a programming block which has recently taken off any show Nine is stealing ratings from doesn’t quite fit in with their new programming format? Possibly move it to a new multichannel?

Perhaps repeat the question in English?

4 Likes

I personally think Toasted TV is fine where it is.

One point of interest from this morning’s edition - or at least the final/closing segment that I caught - is that Callan Warner (who is apparently a presenter on Crocamole, if the information I can find elsewhere online is anything to go by) co-hosted today’s edition alongside Olly Mac:

Remembering that Ten were recently on the look out for a new co-host for Toasted TV, I wonder if Callan could be a potential candidate for the role?

1 Like
1 Like

Do kids still watch Toasted TV these days?

1 Like

According to my research, Bakugan: Battle Planet appears to be a hit for Toasted TV and even got an article in a very recent K-Zone magazine, so i’m sure kids still watch it.

1 Like
1 Like
4 Likes

I’d say this is another network dropping an expensive distribution contract with a big studio.

2 Likes

So with Kids WB axed, where does this leave Toasted TV?

Dont know why the two need be linked.

Considering one more than likely has significant contractual obligations that are costing more than they’re making… and the other is run on a shoestring budget with 5 staff.

well Toasted TV has now lasted longer than the popular show that preceded it - Cheez TV.