Car Radios

Try radiofeeds.co.uk to get the feed urls - i’ve found a lot of the geoblocks are somewhat easily avoidable because the stations are doing it via their app or website rather then on the direct feed.

3 Likes

other than a few select podcasts, most of the content on the BBC Sounds app isn’t geoblocked

2 Likes

I’ve been able to easily avoid Geoblock on the PC including entering a London postcode, but was looking for an easy way in the car; mainly for Greatest Hits Radio.

3 Likes

Tune In allows you to create your own station by inputting a stream URL

2 Likes

What would be the URL for the streams on this page to enter into Tune in?

http://radiofeeds.co.uk/query.asp?feedme=Greatest+Hits+Radio+(London)+[GLN]

3 Likes

Right click on the icon i’ve highlighted and copy the link

4 Likes
3 Likes

Yesterday I got a Pioneer SPH-DA160DAB installed to replace the Joying Android head unit.

Initial impressions (pre-firmware update) is that the interface is clean and functional. It seems to do a decent job at picking up FM stations but not sure about it’s ability to DX just yet. DAB is fine and seems to switch between muxs quite quickly.

Only issues I’ve had so far is that it seems as though I am unable to seek/scan forwards to the next station using the steering wheel controls (usually done via a long press), instead I have to do it by pressing the screen.

7 Likes

After the firmware update having a play with it during my lunch break it seems like the seek function is quite inconsistent. It won’t always stop on the same stations and it will stop at smaller stations (C93.1/FBi) but never stops on the major stations. It’s quite weird.

It’s getting i98FM with RDS just fine but never stops on WSFM/2Day/Triple M/Nova/KIIS.

4 Likes

Here it is in action:

4 Likes

Nice looking unit.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Pioneer car radios, as my first car back in the early 90s (Ford Telstar) had this model.

5 Likes

US survey

4 Likes

That might make Ford USA rethink its plans to remove AM radio from its cars.

3 Likes

I use my Apple CarPlay most of the time for my music,etc.Every now and then it doesn’t work properly,I’ll see a message,No Apple CarPlay device detected :-1:.I have to disconnect my phone and the USB cord where my phone is plugged in,do that a few times,or turn off my iPhone and switch it back on,that eventually works.Maybe if my vehicle had wireless CarPlay I wouldn’t have this problem :confused:.of course I make sure I pull over and stop my car first before I do this because I don’t want to pay a $1000 fine If I’m booked by the police for fiddling with my phone while driving .

3 Likes

Wireless Carplay seems to have more issues than wired, Hyundai is one such manufacturer that has had issues with this.

3 Likes

If I have any more issues with my Apple CarPlay I’ll take my car back to the car stereo place who did the CarPlay installation for me so they can reset it if necessary. I also find CarPlay useful for maps and navigation

3 Likes

That’s if you’re fortunate to have the choice, I know my car has the choice of wired vs. wireless Android Auto but CarPlay is wireless only.

Wireless CarPlay, of course, also soaks up the Wifi connection on the phone - with how I was using mobile data at the time (relying more on data from a wifi brick than on-phone) that annoyed me to bits.

2 Likes

Using wired over wireless seems to be a no brainer to me, you can charge your phone more quickly as well as not using up bandwidth and fewer if any dropouts. If plugging in one cable bothers people, well maybe they shouldn’t have a phone or a car.

5 Likes

There are people who can plug crap in and shouldn’t have a car or a phone in any case for a myriad of other reasons. :rofl:

3 Likes

For me it depends on the length of the trip.

For commuting 20 minutes to/from work or short trips around town to family/shops, wireless is definitely better.

For longer trips, wired is absolutely the way to go with the battery life concerns and higher risk of dropouts.

(FWIW I have cable-only Android Auto in my car but bought an AAWireless dongle a couple of years ago to get the wireless capability as well- it’s not 100% perfect but does a decent job).

3 Likes