Car Radios

My 2017 Mazda 3 dab was very flakey, how is your radio going? My audio would cut off and it was not reception issue, like it crashes. Haha you can tell I am scarred for life now :nerd_face:.

3 Likes

Itā€™s going pretty goodā€¦
FM and DAB are not as good as the Focus, but still not bad.
Same with RDS, it needs a better signal than in the Focus to decode.

But I found out today, that AM on it is really good!
Didnā€™t do a bandscan as such, but Iā€™ll try and post some soon.

The other main plus is that the BOSE stereo sound is better than the Sony unit in the Focus, which was already very good, this is better again.

5 Likes

Great. I did document my problems to Mazda but they were not interested. I guess a flaky dab radio isnā€™t a major fault? Haha Glad they fixed it.

3 Likes

This 2016 Mazda 2 I might be buying this week doesnā€™t have a DAB radio,never mind , I know what stations to have on the presets not too many to choose fromšŸ˜•
For when Iā€™m driving on the GC, FM band :94.1 FM ,91.7 ABC Gold Coast,Hot Tomato 102.90,As for Brisbane FM stations,the only one Iā€™ll have on preset is Breeze 92.1 , I used to listen to 99.7 FM sometimes,thatā€™s another station I can have
AM will be 1116 4BH ,then 612 ABC Brisbane,nothing else
The only other music choice Iā€™ll have will be from my own tunes,USB sticks or from my phone.
If I donā€™t buy this particular car itā€™s unlikely Iā€™ll have another car with a DAB radio :confused:

5 Likes

You couldā€™ve also have Breeze 100.6 on there.

3 Likes

I can too

4 Likes

I can have Rebel FM on one of the presets also

4 Likes

Iā€™ve programmed all the radio stations I want to listen to already in my Mazda 2.It already had Gold 92.3 Fm /Triple M Gold and HIT 90.9 FM on the presets,from the previous owner of this car probably. I was able to have all my preset stations (AM and FM) all together. I wonā€™t mind not having DAB radio in this car. I have the choice of my own tunes from my iPhone also
AM: 1-612 ABC BRISBANE
2; 936 ABC NEWS RADIO
3: 1116 CLASSIC HITS 4BH

FM; in order
Rebel FM 90.5
90.9 HIT Gold Coast *
91.7 ABC Gold Coast
92.1 THE BREEZE
92.5 TRIPLE M Gold Coast *
94.1 FM Gold Coast
99.7 FM Bridge FM(Redcliffe)
102.3 Hot Tomato Gold Coast

• I wonā€™t be listening to these stations much
5 Likes

Your radio might smell of another plant if you tune to 102.3ā€¦thatā€™s the frequency for 2NIM FM Nimbinā€¦

4 Likes

Oops,my bad, the frequency for Hot Tomato is 102.9 FMšŸ˜Š
I can also program in 99.4 Rebel FM and THE BREEZE 100.6 FM (Gold Coast frequencies)to give me more radio listening options.
If I ever drive up to the Sunshine Coast one day Iā€™ll program in Zinc 96.1 FM ,also a good station,play some great old tunes,canā€™t remember the frequency for ABC on the Sunny Coast,Iā€™ll have that on there also

4 Likes

FM 90.3 from behind Nambour and 95.3 from behind Cooroy.

However stay tuned to 612 Bris as signal is good from Bald Hills on Brisbaneā€™s northern extremity, the program quality is better as ABC Sunshine and Cooloola Coast have no music shifts any longer and have regressed to a regional station with country hour and networked drive for non metropolitan stations. Itā€™s a backward step, sounds awful.

8 Likes

If you drive to the GC youā€™ll need 99.4 and 100.6 for Rebel and Breeze.

4 Likes

And try 94.1 and 89.3 for diverse music across the decades.

3 Likes

Iā€™m at a financial point where i can afford an electric car. I test drove a tesla on the weekend and whilst i liked it, the lack of carplay was a major issue for me. how do you put our a car that costs that much and not have carplay?

Iā€™m test driving a leaf this weekend in Sydney - it looks good, has DAB+ and Carplay. this is an option for me

5 Likes

I personally prefer the look of the Leaf. I find Teslaā€™s very bland.

3 Likes

The Kia Niro and Hyundai Ioniq both would fit that as well if you want something larger than the Leaf.

5 Likes

The Kia EV6 was good enough to be rated as the Wheels Car Of The Year back in February. That could be worth a look, but I imagine delivery for almost any new EV will now not be until next year.

Another thing I donā€™t like about the Teslas is how almost EVERYTHING is on that tablet screen, I donā€™t think itā€™s safe to operate on the move and makes the rest of the dashboard look spartan.

3 Likes

Agree again @Brianc68. Build quality also very poor. @Tejas57, have you considered a Polestar?

2 Likes

yeah it was actually polestar that set me off on this EV journey. when I was in London the week of the queens death i was at Westfield shepherdā€™s bush and saw a polestar there and saw nice it was. I priced one online and saw i could afford one.

100%. One thing i love about the radio in my i30 is that i can operate it hands free to do things like changing the station without looking, and i feel like the tesla would not be that easy

4 Likes

Iā€™d say have look at the Volvo XC40 Recharge but two people I know have had their orders delayed until mid 2023

2 Likes