Broadcast Facilities

Wouldn’t have the slightest! Sorry.

1 Like

This has some good information.

Imagine Communications Upgrades Playout at NPC Media
http://www.content-technology.com/asiapacificnews/?p=20166

3 Likes

@EuroKick have you been able to retrieve those old photos/videos/footage of the early days of BCM from your garage yet?

1 Like

I’m disappointed they don’t have any Band II or III antennas on the tower for long distance reception of Melbourne FM or TV. But this Ace, so sadly not surprised. Such equipment was on the former GMV/Sun FM building and 4BU had a high gain Band II, might still do.

Those discarded couches are the homes for the six WIN staff, they double bunk, feet to head, such is Bruce’s low rate of pay.

On a more serious note, the QB site is now Dundowran, previously Point Vernon. Yes, historically, it began in Pialba.

The white vertical antenna atop the left photo is for the frequencies Austar microwave and then wide area fixed antenna internet was trialled there using the parabolic antennas Austar used.

That’s a huge come down from the RVN studios. Sad state of regional television thanks to Hawke and all subsequent Federal govts.

2 Likes

I know this is under TV Broadcast Facilities but this is a radio broadcast facilities post, if someone wants to move it somewhere else that’s fine, maybe Random Radio?

2HD Newcastle got a FM translator based on what they said was poor reception from their AM site due to the road, & a small shipping container terminal being too close to the mast/antenna.

I called BS at the time, & have now just found this https://goo.gl/maps/zZHgVzcc86aJy9KLA

It’s the KFI Los Angeles AM transmission site.

A lot of AM sites are in swampy areas of no use to anything else, but many are on good land that’s worth more to sell off for housing or industrial (as in the 2XL Cooma site).

Why don’t AM station owners get creative like this & get a double win, AM coverage, make money off the land, & site rentals/leases can pay for the upkeep of the transmission equipment.

4 Likes

Considering KFI is a 50kW station, what’s the health impacts working so close to a hot stick like that?

1 Like

For AM, probably not much, it’s non-ionising radiation e.g. won’t alter human cells.

The AM/MW wavelength is so big that a human will only get a very small amount of radiation from part of the wave, (average human height is about 1.68m, AM/MW wavelength, in this case at 640kHz is 468m), unlike FM or UHF TV where the wavelength is close to, or smaller than the average human height, so you get the full power of the RF wave.

I work directly under the tower at Artarmon 5 days a week with literally 100’s of kW of RF coming out & have had no abnormal health effects, 1 of our guys retired last year after working more than 20 years under the same tower & was 72 when he retired with no heath effects from it.

There’s houses over the road, & industrial units not far away from the 2 x 50kW ABC AM’s at Prestons in Sydney & has been for years.

There’s 2 x 10kW AM’s for ABC Newcastle over the road from a local high school & no one’s questioned it, but you can’t put a mobile phone base station near a school, because of radiation fears which are literally milli or micro watts from the mobile site.

5 Likes

It’s like the people that work at the Brisbane commercial TV stations over the past 60 years; at some stages working under towers with 200kw TV (analogue) transmitters. And then when FM transmitters were added and now multiple (though lower powered) digital TV transmitters.

4 Likes

Its an interesting option - would there be restrictions on building materials or what you can/cant do in the buildings directly under it (i’m thinking more from an interference standpoint then anything)

1 Like

Towers on top of Mount Canobolas, Orange

7 Likes

Prime7 Dubbo
via Google Maps.

6 Likes

Who owns that building?

1 Like

Which building @TrueBlue?

The building above

Just a Sales office I guess. Do Prime7 even have a News Bureau in Dubbo (for the Central West bulletin) anymore?

There is a Journalist for Prime7 in Dubbo

3 Likes

Yes - there is one or two reporters in Dubbo along with a camera operator.

2 Likes

Pics of new Southern Cross Austereo building in Port Macquarie. Also houses 9NBN (there was an NBN News vehicle parked out the front), but no signage yet for them. They only moved in late April thanks to @portmacman so signage may be on its way.

8 Likes

WIN Television, Dubbo. (Photo 2018 via Google Maps).
Does anyone know what occupies this building since the Central West bulletins were axed?

4 Likes

Bridgeway Accountants is now in that space I believe.

1 Like