Broadcast Facilities

Saw the wrong promo air late tonight on 7flix Melbourne (“Mrs Doubtfire”), was the main channel version, should’ve been 7mate. Though the correct one did air the other day on 7mate.

1 Like

is it only the metro city’s have the market name after 7flix?

I think Seven Queensland have market names.

(P.S. sorry if i’m in the wrong area.)

I believe 7flix has the market name in metro areas (eg 7flix Sydney), state name in regional Qld (7flix Queensland) and no name in regional NSW and Vic (7flix).

2 Likes

Has the quality of 7flix upgraded a little, looked a bit sharper/better since NPC? Could he wrong though.

1 Like

The stream is definitely better at 504p now instead of 360p. I reckon the terrestrial broadcast of 7flix on Seven’s network would be worse now that they’re using 704x576i. But as I live in area that will literally never get 7flix, I can’t really say for sure.

1 Like

Yes, especially areas that run under SCA. They invest more into shopping channels and SBN rather than a 7flix channel. Southern Cross Seven doesn’t have 7food either.

I’ve discovered some information about regional WA’s transmission issues recently and if the info is accurate, we have 70-or-so transmitters in the state with MPEG-2-only equipment that can’t handle MPEG-4. They can step down an MPEG-4 feed to MPEG-2, but they can’t rebroadcast an MPEG-4 feed as MPEG-4. This is why WIN HD and SNOW are shit (WIN just ignores this limitation) and why Prime hasn’t launched GWN HD or 7flix and that Racing.com and ishoptv are still MPEG-2. So this is what we’re left with. What are the chances Prime will upgrade all the transmitters? Fuck all.

At least in SCA’s case, they have the technical capacity to launch 7flix or 7food down the track. They’ve already launched 7HD - except in Spencer/BKN. What’s the bet that region has the same MPEG-2-only issue as well?

5 Likes

I wonder how hard it’d be for the stations in rural and smaller regional markets which don’t and likely will never have the newer multichannels to broadcast the main channel in MPEG2 HD with their third tier multichannel in MPEG2 SD?

Many of these markets only got access to Digital TV three years or less before analogue was switched off when MPEG2 HD TVs and set top boxes were starting to become quite cheap, so surely the amount of MPEG2 SD-only devices would be very minimal?

Channel names for regional QLD - for metro substitute the city name where appropriate.

8 Likes

Interesting. Have they always put the market name after 7flix in regional Qld?

Is that a double space between ‘food’ and ‘network’? Someone needs to be fired! :grin:

3 Likes

Not sure if always - but at least for a couple of years.

3 Likes

Is that misleading? As I thought 7flix only has market (state-wide) feeds as opposed to sub-market? Although I do recall regional Queensland having two (like a ‘north’ and ‘south’?)

Random NB/ Since launch (which was the same date as metro IIRC), 7flix has consistently rated best (and quite good too) in regional Queensland, same goes for Brisbane in metro. Sources: oztam and regionaltam websites. Mm… What does this suggest about sunshine state folk?

Regional WA and Remote Central are the only markets where the mux is created at the transmitter site, allowing it to be fed from VAST causing the problem you discussed.

All other markets the mux is made at the playout facility and send “transmission-ready” to the transmitters. SCA had to purchase new encoders located in Canberra to launch 9HD and 9Life for the Eastern states. I’d imagine the budget didn’t extend to the smaller markets. This could change with them moving to NPC though where most of the equipment will be new and the facility has been designed to more easily increase capacity.

5 Likes

An easy choice to make really. Hardly an investment for the shopping channels. They have the choice - Either pay more in affiliation fees (as we suspect) for access to the extra channels and then hope to recoup some of those costs in selling commercial airtime or sell the whole 24/7 to the shopping channels and SBN, the likes of which nobody would watch but it doesn’t matter because their whole broadcast time is paid for so it costs SCA nothing really.

1 Like

was unsure of appreciate thread

Can anyone accurately rank the quality of the FTA channels?

I’m not up with most of the technical lingo, but I’ll have a go from my perspective (best to worst, even if marginal):

10 HD
9 HD
SBS Viceland HD
9Gem HD
7 HD
9Go!
7Two
SBS World Movies
7mate
10 Bold
7flix
10 Peach
9Gem

Thoughts?

1 Like

Picture quality?

Difficult to judge when they are showing different content.

Bit rates and codec don’t tell the full story either.

3 Likes

Easy to see that this was recorded at Bald Hills :slight_smile:

9 Likes

The balcony of 10Perth in Subiaco

6 Likes

Plans for apartments for the old WIN Canberra site on Wentworth Avenue

3 Likes

ABC Middle East Correspondent

3 Likes