Broadcast Facilities

Perth

3 Likes

Probably would’ve progressed faster if moved around employers than remain at one.

Wdym?

Broadcast trucks at Optus Stadium Perth:

6 Likes

I’m A Celebrity (UK this season) - Tweed Shire

3 Likes

All the Grip trucks are outside the venue.

1 Like

I thought this might be useful for your studio mapping, Paddy. It might be useful to any budding set designers out there.

This plan of the Studios comes from an Environmental Court Document (to do with the Rail, Mediaworks airing concerns about vibration and traffic). It’s not a great quality, but that’s what was there. For scale, I’ve overlaid it on a Property Boundary map from the LINZ DataService.

Main Studio is aproximately 15m by 14m, and studio 2: Approximately 12m by 7m. DanNews has uploaded an ICE TV tour from the late 90’s, the lime green bits reflect the set positioning at the time. You could get an idea of height from that, if you can find out how tall Nathan Rarere was twenty five years ago!

Merry Christmas.

4 Likes

Thanks, @TV4, and Merry Christmas to you too!

4 Likes

The Gold Coast’s TV and radio transmission facilities featured on tonight’s news following the black out of services for 5 hours this morning.

9 Likes

Is that UHF stack on the smaller tower still in use? I know it was in the early UHF days on the Gold Coast.

2 Likes

The small tower UHF stack has a pattern that keeps the NSW stations out of Brisbane’s southern suburbs and was the original array for the site. The newer big tower has an omni UHF array which covers into Brisbane and the metro stations were on that last time I had any association with the site. Tamborine is the border between Gold Coast and Brisbane LAPs and is a complicated site. Bald Knob and Forrester’s Beach come to mind as being similarly complex sites too.

The first 2 coverage maps below are for the small tower UHF array:

There was an FM array on each tower back then and a DAB+ Vpol would have to been added recently too - there is also microwave there with DDA/WIN.

4 Likes

Bald Knob yes, Forresters Beach no.

Forresters Beach is a 1 antenna omni array, not exactly omni though, it’s only a 3 sided UHF panel array, there’s nothing & no signal goes out to the East, that would just be a waste of power.

Bouddi at the South end of the Central Coast however, I wouldn’t say is complex, but there are 2 separate UHF antenna networks here, an omni for the metro & national stations & a directional array for the regional stations, to stop the regional stations signals going across the Hawkesbury river & into the the Sydney metro area, they don’t care about the Sydney metro signals going into the Newcastle market from the North end Forresters Beach site.

3 Likes

And it needs to go north to some degree anyway to cover Bateau Bay and The Entrance.

I know someone at Belmont North who still gets TV from Forresters Beach as their house is shaded from both Sugarloaf and Violet Town Rd sites.

2 Likes

There’s quite a few people around Belmont North/Floraville who still get TV from Foresters Beach for exactly that reason, though they’ll have the local Belmont North translator channels as well.

4 Likes

I’ve wondered if a Belmont CBD location for the TX would have been better so it sends the signal back up and into the hill, rather than coming down over the hill and thus missing some houses.

Only downside i can see is Jewells wouldn’t get coverage from that. It’s a tricky area to cover.

3 Likes

Here’s the Razorback DTV site on Google Street View.

6 Likes

Was down at Stanwell Park today. The old monopole telecommunications tower has been replaced with a new mobile phone tower, (Telstra) and new UHF tv broadcast antennas half way down the new tower.
The placement of the mobile tower is to try and improve mobile coverage in Stanwell Park and Coal Cliff, notoriously bad for mobile phone coverage.

It looks like the new tower is a couple of metres higher up the hill which would give the the UHF broadcast antennas a slight height advantage over the previous tower.

The last time I was at Stanwell Park was two years ago so the new tower installation and old tower removal has taken place since then.

4 Likes

Side note, do you notice anything strange in the shot?

3 Likes

No, what have you picked up???

Also what I have noticed is there are no UHF off air receiving antennas or microwave dishes on the tower. I wonder how they are getting the input signal for rebroadcast?

2 Likes

Old Stanwell Park telecommunications tower and the construction of the new one courtesy of Google Street View.

3 Likes