Broadcast Facilities

Any idea how many studios it had?

Not sure why they couldn’t reuse the Nine signage elsewhere in Darwin or even gift it to Southern Cross. Does not matter that Life and Rush are not on there.

That’s the least of their worries.

Nine is sitting on millions of dollars as the land value is very high in that area. There is a small house for sale on that street for $1.2million currently, I would imagine the Nine building would be worth quite a bit if they went to sell.

6 Likes

That’s awesome that you were able to get the drone out there. Those dishes… imagine jacking up the coaxial to a receiver. Blimey. You’d be able to get a whole stream of feeds.

3 Likes

Mirvac has submitted a development application to Willoughby Council for the demolition of the TCN-9 tower and a substation on Artarmon Road. There is no time-frame on the application, but it appears it will occur after the demolition of the TCN-9 studios has started.

2 Likes

New Channel 9 site inside

Meeting room - downstairs behind reception

Nine News Darwin - downstairs at the back (edit suites in the black doors at the end)

Half the sales office - downstairs

Weird live cross room - downstairs

18 Likes

What an odd space. It’s larger than a typical TOSS but not quite large enough to be a small studio.

5 Likes

A shame they didn’t dedicate a bigger space for a small set.

3 Likes

There is tons of excess space in the building upstairs. The potential is still there in the future if an expansion is needed.

Nine does still own Blake Street as a short term solution though.

5 Likes

Is there an open window behind these curtains?

2 Likes

Channel 10 Mt Coot-tha

12 Likes

I tried to find where 7Mackay have moved to but searching online just comes up with the address of the MVQ studios. Does anyone know where in Mackay they’ve gone?

I have also been told by someone at 7Rockhampton that they’re also leaving their offices on Victoria Parade in the next couple of weeks to move to a building behind (not exactly sure where), current premises below:

They’ve been in that building for about 20 years after moving from an old Queenslander on Albert Street which was the original Sunshine Television office from 1990:

4 Likes

7 Mackay moved diagonally across the roundabout to the first floor.

Ah thanks! :+1:t2:

Google street view shows three signs on the building.

3 Likes

The Gold Coast has probably had Australia’s most chequered TV history: My original involvement was in the 80’s when the TV translators at Mt Tamborine first went in and at that time the commercial TV decided to put news crew’s on the coast. 7 (and probably 9) had a 2.6GHz microwave link from the Imperial Surf or Golden Gate building back to the Mt Cootha studio which connected to a wall box in the car park where the cameraman would plug his Betacam into and feed back video for editing.

Because the Gold Coast is a no man’s land for TV licensing, the NSW regionals also transmitted there and at one stage Prime had a full studio with playout there - that eventually closed and the playout moved to Canberra. 7 also decided to do a Gold Coast news bulletin (the details of which I have no knowledge) and like Prime eventually shuttered it and retrenched some of the same people that lost their jobs when Prime closed. Eventually 9 started a news studio there and 7 got forced to follow suit.

Prior to the TV restack I could see Tamborine TV at my place in Brisbane and was continually amazed that 9 Gold Coast did not carry any Gold Coast advertising despite having a news bulletin there. My only guess was that they didn’t want to compete with their NBN channel that did seem to carry some Gold Coast advertising.

Does anyone know in detail how the TV works on the Goldie now?

11 Likes

Thanks for sharing that info. As far as I know, Seven and Nine have dedicated Gold Coast feeds and Ten is just fed off air directly from Brisbane. Prime7 Gold Coast shows NSW content such as Seven News Sydney. Nine NBN is the same except on weekends when they show Qld Cup Rugby League instead of the NSW Cup. WIN shows Qld content. Up until a few years ago when they were Southern Cross Ten, they showed Ten News Sydney instead of Brisbane but that changed in 2015 (I think). In terms of advertising, the regional channels show a 50/50 mix of NSW and Qld based advertising.

5 Likes

Nine and Seven carry Gold Coast local adverts and sponsorship boards but only during the 5:30 - 6:00pm timeslot. Though on same days there is no local advertising. Someone posted here a while ago that that is all that is permitted under their licence as the stations are licenced under the Brisbane TV area LAP.

Here is a current tie in with 7

And a sponsor board from Nine

7 Likes

It;s not the oldest tv tower as it was built in 1964 as a replacement for the original Ch 9 tower, but it’s the tallest. Yes I think it’s a shame. It is an amazing structure, sadly in need of a coat of paint. Strange that it will go, TXA spent a huge amount of money on the building at the base of the tower, hence no money left for paint. The Ch 10 towers in Brisbane and Melbourne are of similar design.

6 Likes

Twitter

9 Likes