Broadcast Facilities

I miss DJ and the upmarket 4.30 News.

5 Likes

Despite being from Sydney, I have been past the BCM a few times when I’ve been in Melbourne, just as recently as October last year.

I have also seen Seven Gold Coast weatherman Paul Burt in person, when he was presenting weather on Seven News Brisbane in January 2015.

1 Like

IIRC, the 4:30 news was quite unique in its format, with there being (almost) no sports reports for what reason I don’t know. I also liked how they had a preview to the 6:00pm news in each of the main markets, before being reduced to only a preview of the relevant market’s 6:00pm bulletin.

The bulletin also introduced weatherman David Brown to a national audience (beforehand, only Victorians knew him). These days, the only time Victorians would see him on TV is on the morning news.

Not really. Seven Nightly News @ Five in 1996 was his first platform to a national profile. That bulletin I believe only last a few months.

2 Likes

BCM (HSV7) when first launched in 2002 was the envy within the network. These were the days when networks had cash to splurge.

2 Likes

I was only too young (say about 4-5 years old) to even remember that bulletin.

Was that a weeknight or weekend bulletin? I reckon if it was a weekend bulletin, it may have been launched to counter the Ten Weekend News. Either way it wasn’t until 2015 that Seven would again venture into having a national bulletin at 5:00pm on a Saturday or Sunday (Nine had already launched such a bulletin in 2011, after Ten’s 5:00pm weekend news briefly disappeared from schedule).

No, it was a national weeknight bulletin hosted by Naomi Robinson and Peter Ford. It went for 30 minutes before Wheel of Fortune. I can only remember it vaguely myself. David Brown did the National weather from his desk.

3 Likes

If you look closely you can see ABC MW radio transmission site at Bald Hills, Brisbane

8 Likes

Great spelling of ‘Gateway’ there by Channel 10 :laughing:

Yep, it’s an impressive mast with the big ‘top hat’ up top - makes you think it’s some alien-type spaceship ready to take off when its people need to leave Earth. By contrast, just a few km down the motorway you have the masts at the 4BC site that look like glorified power poles. Just seeing the two sites it’s unsurprising to learn which station has the better reach signal-wise.

6 Likes

2BH / Hill FM mast in Broken Hill

11 Likes

I always thought Hill FM transmitted from Rocky Hill.

It’d be cheaper to use the 2BH site.

Possibly why when they were on 106.9, they had to be a lower power (160 w I think?) as to not cause conflicts with the Rocky Hill ABCs that were around 102-103?

Thus to run at 4kw, they must have had to either relocate to Rocky Hill OR change frequency?

@gordo92 might know? Even though they weren’t owned by Caralis back then.

1 Like

I know that in the 106.9 days, the transmitter was at the 2BH studios.

2 Likes

Hill FM, 2BH and Vision Christian Radio are all on the same site on the edge of town

Hill FM also has a 250w back up at the studios that transmits from a pole on the roof as well as a 88.0FM LPON playing a hour or 2 loop of 50s and 60s

As for what happened back in the day, wouldn’t have a clue hehe

3 Likes

ACE studios in Swan Hill

ACE studios in Deniliquin

12 Likes

SCA FM transmitter Hervey Bay (4MBB and 4CEE as well as Rhema)

4QB Pialba

WIN office Hervey Bay

10 Likes

Atop Willians Hill in Wagga.

There’s three towers here, not sure what is on which

6 Likes

In downtown Wagga.

Prime, ABC and WIN

11 Likes

I can’t tell what network is in that building there’s not quite enough logos :joy:

7 Likes

like mappy like building

5 Likes