Broadcast Facilities

ABC and SBS would likely get to Soma Mt via satellite.

Nine might be fed with off-air from another site

3 Likes

A couple of months ago North West NSW had a major telstra outage that took out all commercial tv on Soma (NBN, NEN & NRN) and it also took out NRN (WIN 10) And NEN (Seven) from Dowe. 9NBN remained on air from Dowe during that outage so that suggests 9NBN have there own STL to Mt Dowe. And in the light of the current outage on Soma that would suggest 9NBN changed it receive tech on Mt Soma as well

3 Likes

Could well be the case - in some places there is fibre to an office in town(eg Launceston) and microwave up to the mountain top. That is also the case in some capital cities for the backup path.

NBN use a number of IBL(in band links) as well in that region: they are a low power UHF DTV transmitter and receiver fed into two gridpack high gain antennas one for the receiver and one for the transmitter. Due to the frequencies used they hop a lot further than pure microwave STL’s and have better rainfade figures. Viewers near those sites can also pick up the overspill from the transmit antenna and sometimes get a better signal than the main station for the area.

NBN’s techs in Newcastle used to maintain all that equipment but I am not sure they are even still there since the big NBN studio shutdown.

2 Likes

NBN still have techs in Newcastle (now based at Mt Sugarloaf I think), I think they also have some techs based in Coffs, & they still look after all those TX’s.

NBN still have & use a lot of the old Soul Patterson Telecoms Microwave Links (now TPG) for transmission distribution to transmitter sites, but yes, getting away from the big centres NBN have a lot of sites that are fed off air from another site (usually a high power main site), in some areas though NBN have a transmission site that is fed off air from another site, that is fed off air from a main site.

2 Likes

Thanks for that - my last involvement in the region was back in the days of yore. You answered the question about why NBN may not have gone off due to them still being on the Soul Pattenson microwave.

BAI used to have 2 people out of Sugarloaf and NBN had 4 people at Mosbri CT - it was quite common to see NBN at places like Springbrook and Tamborine, so they got around a bit. Hopefully they all kept a job if they wanted it.

4 Likes

Above features the SCA Canberra office in Fyshwick, via Google Maps. This office was built in 2020, and this office is technically a broadcast facility, so it fits in this thread.

3 Likes

Does anyone have screenshots of the MTV UK headquarters?

Sunday Footy Show OB for Gather Round:

In its TVAM form or since then as home of MTV/Viacom/Paramount?

As home of MTV/Viacom/Paramount. Yes.

Features that weird little 2nd studio at Martin Place.

1 Like

The alt/footy classified set in Melbourne

8 Likes

What was this for? About Carro’s incorrect story? Should have gotten rid of the chair or added another two, looks a bit lonely.

Is there more of the set to the right in that first picture that isn’t used?

Seven Mt Coot-Tha as featured on ABC TV News tonight

8 Likes

Love to see a tour of the place…. it would be like going back in time.

4 Likes

Missing 7Bravo

1 Like

I miss the BTQ canteen. Made great chips.

4 Likes

It appears this was filmed before 2021 (if Google street view is anything to go by).

2 Likes

Adelaide Oval for Origin 1:

6 Likes
5 Likes