British Television

U&Watch?

U&Whack?

I think “U&Me” would be a good name. Can I have my fee now? :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

In the latest episode of Beeb Watch podcast, former ITV chair Sir Peter Bazalgette suggested that BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 would need to merge if they want to ‘compete’ with the biggest international streamers.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/bbc-itv-and-channel-4-would-have-to-band-together-to-compete/ar-BB1qmIxj

2 Likes

They actually had plans to do something like this… back in 2007! It was called Project Kangaroo, and the idea was for it to be a unified streamer for BBC, ITV and Channel 4. It was blocked by the Competition Commission. Such a shame. What could have been…

3 Likes
1 Like

Streamer revenue soared again in the UK last year, with Prime Video generating more than £1B ($1.28B) for the first time, according to Ofcom‘s Media Nation’s Report, but commercial nets saw turnover tumble to a four-year low.

2 Likes

That’s been long ripe for a revival - almost perfectly ticks the box of being different to most other entertainment shows around, having the public at the heart of it but also having a celebrity panel element too. Most agree though this is far too safe a presenting choice - feels like they could have taken a much bigger risk on this.

1 Like

Some BTS of the U brand from UKTV’s Head of Design:
The U mnemonic was done by Zelig, the same agency who did the BBC jingle:

and the full credits for the rebrand:

1 Like

The relaunch, due to happen by April next year, means Paramount will no longer merge Channel 5’s broadcaster VOD service My5 with free ad-support TV (FAST) platform Pluto TV, as was due to take place this (northern) autumn.

Instead, My5 will relaunch next year under the unified parent brand of 5 across linear, streaming and digital platforms.

2 Likes

Hmm… feels like we’ve been here before:

Everything old becomes new, I guess. Would be nice if, as part of this rebrand, they stop dropping shows after 2 or 3 episodes (they won’t).

2 Likes
1 Like

It will be interesting to see which Australian network will pick up the series.

1 Like

Maybe channel 7 in Australia and probably TVNZ will pick it up in nz

Weird headline - “drops” makes it sound like the BBC has withdrawn the trailer.

2 Likes

You’ve never heard the term dropped in relation to streaming?

Eg: the latest episode of Stranger Things drops tomorrow.

Yes, they probably have heard the term “dropped” in that sense, the point was how it made the headline ambigious, which it does.

And just on the side, I’ve noticed @David, you’ve been a bit nit-picky on quite a few threads lately. I hope everything’s all right, and don’t mean to be rude, but can you please take a deep breath before replying?

1 Like

Of course, I know there’s another meaning. The problem is that the word can hold two contradictory meanings, which suggests it would probably be better if a different word were to be used.

1 Like
1 Like