British Television

Honestly, same. Would want ABC2, and ABC3 names back - imo the numbered system is better than what they have now

2 Likes

Not channels though now. They are brands.

Agreed, made more sense back then having clearly defined brands rather than calling everything ‘news’ the same thing.

TVNZ channels have the numbering to make it sense between these demographics

In Thursday’s (Friday morning AEST) episode of Tipping Point that aired on ITV, Emily copped some criticism for getting some easy questions wrong, such as “the capital cities of Cuba and Vietnam start with which letter?” and “who had a 2021 UK top 20 hit with the song ‘Good Without’?” in the final round.

I would like to think that for the “Good Without” question, of the three possible answers the average viewer would only know who Ava Max is, thanks to her 2018 smash hit “Sweet but Psycho”.

So they sell their production arm to get a bit of cash. Then what? They’re a terrestrial broadcaster with no other income streams or growth opportunities. (They’d surely lose Britbox to ITV Studios).

I don’t think there’s any merit to this.

2 Likes

Boy George is returning to Australia, this time as a contestant on the new season of I’m a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

2 Likes

He’s married to Zara Phillips, the daughter of Princess Anne. With his royal family connection, how is he allowed to spill all on a reality television show?

1 Like

I think the producers will have warned other celebrities that anything related to the royal family is out of bounds, however they will be free to discuss Mike’s rugby union career.

1 Like

Channel 4 today announced that from next year it will bring all its channels and services under one ‘Channel 4’ brand to help audiences better navigate the abundance of choice in the digital world and find their favourite Channel 4 shows wherever and whenever they choose to watch content.

‘All 4’ will change to ‘Channel 4’ as Channel 4 becomes the first UK broadcaster to adopt one brand identity across its digital and linear channels as audiences increasingly no longer distinguish between digital and linear content. Channel 4’s entire portfolio of channels will also align with the ‘Channel 4’ brand.

2 Likes

I hope we see this approach coming to Australian TV as well, in a way having separate brands for the streaming services doesn’t make sense when in the digital world, your main brand should be front and centre.

Does that mean 4seven, E4, E4 Extra, more4, Film4 etc will all just become “Channel 4” too?

So there will be 4 versions of Channel 4 linear - or maybe “Channel 4 Movies” “Channel 4 Extra” etc?

1 Like

While All 4 will be among the first to be rebranded, linear channels More4, E4, Film4 and 4Seven are due to take on the Channel 4 name later in 2023 – albeit with a relevant suffix that the broadcaster is still being coy about.

2 Likes

Ie Channel 4 Film? Bit confused as to what they could mean.

1 Like

And new presentation is being gradually revealed… there are new break bumpers and a new news-safe ident featuring an altered logo closer to the original Martin Lambie-Nairn design. When the new common brand launches, new idents and promo designs will be introduced.

And a fitting throwback to the launch… Paul Coia, the first ever C4 continuity announcer, made a special one-off announcement to introduce, where else, Countdown; the show itself is going on a special week of anniversary shows with guest presenters.

5 Likes

I’d say they will go with 4 plus or 4+ for catch up and streaming. Then 4Film, 4More, 4Extra etc.

1 Like