British Television

A rare occasion (obviously due to COVID-19), The Queen speech aired earlier tonight on the main terrestrials channels (BBC One, ITV, Channel 4, Channel 5). BBC2 was left out as they showed a different programme.

Junction comparison

3 Likes

I quite like that effect of hearing all four channels at once. HM sounds like a darlek!

3 Likes

Clap For Our Carers, where the UK public are encouraged to clap for frontline workers in the NHS during COVID-19. (3rd time it’s happened, every Thursday)

A comparison between the main 4 channels. (BBC Two didn’t join in).

• BBC One intro into a BBC News Special
  • ITV paused their programming for a few minutes (skip to 1:45)
  • Channel 4 & Channel 5 went with their news coverage
2 Likes

You honestly can’t miss the message about Staying Home

3 Likes

BBC ‘Bringing Us Closer’ promo, which just launched tonight. Voiced by Idris Elba

A cheeky promo asking viewers to stay at home from Channel 4

3 Likes

Welsh actor Michael Sheen was on tonight’s season premiere of The Graham Norton Show, promoting his role of Chris Tarrant (host of original UK version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire?) in 3-part ITV mini-series Quiz, which is based on the play of the same name and centres on Major Charles Ingram and the coughing scandal that surrounded his win of the £1 million prize on the show in 2001. It aired in UK during Easter long weekend.

Given Nine is showing Millionaire Hot Seat, I wonder if it will be interested in picking up Quiz?
4 Likes

Nothing like a scandalous connection to the franchise to promote your own game show. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Would love for Nine to show this play into Australia!

In 2003, Nine did show Who Wants to Steal a Million? in place of a regular WWTBAM episode on a Monday night. This special attracted nearly 2M viewers.

2 Likes

ITV have asked kids to send in their art drawings to be featured on their idents…

5 Likes

ITV’s Britain Get Talking promo, this version features NHS workers after the 8pm #ClapForOurCarers

1 Like

The BBC’s two annual telethons combined tonight for The Big Night In, raising over £27m on the night.

Back to general television and anyone here follow Race Across the World. It’s a brilliant show which does what it says on the tin - basically pairs of contestants have to go from destination to destination without taking any flights and with no mobile phones, all for the cost of the air ticket.

3 Likes

UK chief medical officer Chris Whitty said on Wednesday that some form of restrictions to slow the spread of coronavirus was likely to be needed for 2021. This could be bad news for shows like Britain’s Got Talent and The Voice, which attract a large studio audience. ITV (and Seven here) has just begun airing auditions of BGT with the semi finals and finals postponed. If the social distancing rules continue until next year, will it mean the finals of BGT cannot be filmed (so no overall winner)?

1 Like

This is an amazing promo by tv and other voiceovers from Britain.

Best stay at home promo anywhere in the world to be honest

4 Likes

I love it and am up to date with the UK. One of the best shows on TV IMO.

1 Like

Thanks for your endorsement of this. Started it this afternoon. Struggled through most of the first episode because I was expecting something like The Amazing Race but I’m now enjoying the less frantic pace and the relationships/personalities of the travellers. Had intended to watch a movie tonight but I’m really getting into this.

1 Like

Race Across The World is great, I’m waiting for the second season to finish before I binge it.

The sort of show that could appeal to the Aussie sense of travel/adventure if a local network was interested.

There is a thread for Race Across the World in the Nine Network section of the forum.

1 Like

American Idol showed this week that singing competitions can be done quite well under lockdown restrictions so I do think The Voice should be able to do something, but for BGT it’ll be almost impossible for non-solo or family acts to rehearse and compete whilst social distancing.

I’ve been saying for weeks though Simon Cowell should be using this as a way to try and revive The X Factor, which is pretty much axed and deserves to be after last year but it is a format which could really work well and actually revive itself under lockdown conditions, and just as BGT used The X Factor’s hours last year for the Champions edition the BGT live week hours could be reallocated to The X Factor and I think they could get a half decent run out of people auditioning from home and if necessary performing “live shows” from home too.