British Radio

British Radio News Jingles (2022) is now available.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’m surprised they’ve gone this long without ads.

1 Like

From 25 years ago, coverage of the death of Diana, Princess of Wales on GWR’s Mix Network.

1 Like

In a move that could weaken the UK’s soft power around the world, the corporation will stop producing radio output in 10 languages, including Chinese, Hindi, and Arabic.

BBC Persian will end its audio broadcasts aimed at Iran.

There will also be a change in focus of the World Service’s English-language radio output, with more time dedicated to live news and sports programming at the expense of standalone programmes.

A BBC spokesperson said the UK Foreign Office had been consulted over the latest cuts and no country would lose its World Service content altogether, with digital operations continuing in all languages.

There will be a net loss of 226 jobs in the UK and 156 overseas.

Some foreign-language World Service teams based in London will move to the countries they serve, such as Thai services shifting to Bangkok, the Korean service to Seoul, and the Bangla service to Dhaka. Several staff on those services said they expect to take redundancy rather than relocate, resulting in a loss of institutional knowledge.

UPDATE

1 Like
1 Like

Local TV news programs in Oxford and Cambridge will close and there will be more sharing of programs as radio, TV and online are brought together, with 18 afternoon shows after 2pm shared across multiple stations and 10 shows between 6pm-10pm shared including an All England program.

1 Like

Been Listening to UKWA from Perth, WA, A Station that targets British Expats who want to hear from their Motherland & There’s a Few 80’s & 90’s that Heart in the UK never Plays, but should on Digital Radio over there.

1 Like

Welp so much for that…

It would be hard for a service like that to make money when expat Brits can just stream BBC and other UK stations easily. I listen to BBC R2 and lots of British expats in Australia listening and calling in.

3 Likes

BBC looking to go online only by 2030…

I’m sure it will happen, but as usual the timelines for the “future” are highly dubious. I remember the CEO of an auto club sprouting we would all be in driverless cars by 2020… This was in 2010.

3 Likes

Capital FM host Sonny Jay Lands Huge New Show As He Takes The Reins Of The Capital Late Show

The new show start’s January 3 2023

1 Like
3 Likes
5 Likes

he’s moving on…

2 Likes

That’s quite a coup for GHR!

3 Likes

Ken Bruce pretty much typifies the ‘hello Mrs. Jones’ type radio that the UK does well.

1 Like

On air

1 Like