Australian Story

The Kids Are Alright

15 April at 8pm

Introduced by Cate Blanchett

When movie directors Jocelyn Moorhouse and PJ Hogan celebrated the arrival of their second child, Lily, they were riding high. The success of their first movies, Proof and Muriel’s Wedding , had catapulted them into Hollywood’s A-list and they now had a little sister for six-year-old Spike.

“We had really, really made it,” Moorhouse tells Australian Story . “Our careers were successful, our family was perfect – one boy, one girl.”

But it would be 18 years before Jocelyn Moorhouse directed another movie. This week’s Australian Story explains why.

Around the time she turned two, Lily began to change. She stopped making eye contact, shunned physical contact and started having screaming fits. “It was like we had a hurricane in the house,” recalls her brother Spike. “And we all just had to make the best of taming the hurricane.”

Eventually Lily was diagnosed with severe autism. As Moorhouse was the only one who seemed to get through to Lily, she realised she would have to abandon her career to become Lily’s full-time therapist and carer.

After six years of intensive therapy, Lily was doing well enough for Moorhouse to consider a return to filmmaking and, in 2004, she agreed to direct the Australian movie Eucalyptus . But days before filming was to start, the movie was cancelled due to disagreements over the script.

Moorhouse was devastated but worse was to come. Within months, the couple’s 18-month-old son Jack also began to exhibit signs of autism.

“Lily if anything brought us closer together,” Hogan tells Australian Story . “Jack almost destroyed us. Because we didn’t expect it to be twice. We just thought, that’s not fair.”

As Moorhouse threw herself into Lily and Jack’s therapy, her film career seemed a distant memory. But she hadn’t been forgotten and in 2015, 18 years after her last movie, she made a triumphant return with The Dressmaker .

Now the couple’s focus is on securing a future for Lily and Jack that allows them to continue their careers while ensuring their other children, Spike and Maddy, are free to pursue their dreams.

In this intimate portrait, the family speaks candidly about the challenges, heartbreak and unexpected joys of living with two severely autistic children. They talk of the sacrifices they have willingly made and the long journey of acceptance that has led them to embrace Lily and Jack for who they are.

“Once you start getting to know them your fear slides away and you’re just like a parent of any kid,” Moorhouse says. “We’re no longer frightened of autism. In fact, we’re very fond of autism.”

Producer: Greg Hassall

https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/1117172104334594051

Mina Guli- Runing on Empty

Monday 29 April at 8:00pm

What happens when devastating failure leads to unexpected success?

48-year-old Australian CEO Mina Guli is on a mission to draw attention to the global water crisis.In order to do that she set out to run 100 marathons in 100 days around the world.

But when her body literal y broke during marathon 62, Mina thought allwas Lost.She had a stress fracture in her femur, and she faced permanent injury if she carried on with the campaign.

No one expected what happened next.

When news spread of Mina’s injury,thousands of people around the world started a creative movement to finish the campaign for her.

“ft was almost the best thing that could happen. It sounds terr ible, but she’dalways set out to raise a community of people who wanted to save water. And every day since then, that’s what happened.”-CATHERINE GULi, mother.

Australian Story’s “Running on Empty” provides a unique insight into what drives someone to push their body to the extreme to create change.

Cry Me a River

Monday 6 May at 8pm

Introduced by Mal Leyland

When 21-year-old Menindee farmer Kate McBride came across thousands of dying fish in her beloved Darling River she was determined to tell the country what was happening.

She posted the pictures on her family’s Facebook page and the images went viral.

“I don’t think there’s a way to put into words what seeing millions of dead fish on the river that you’ve called home for your whole life is,” she remembers. “It was just pure devastation… these animals were suffering.”

By the time truckloads of fish were disposed of at the town dump, Kate was emerging as a fierce advocate for the health of the Darling River and a leader to watch.

She’s been documenting local health concerns about water supplies from the river and is pushing for a Federal Royal Commission.

Out of the Box

Monday 13 May at 8pm

Introduced by musician Ben Folds.

On the eve of Eurovision, Kate Miller-Heidke opens up to Australian Story about the private pain behind the very personal song she is performing.

In what is a candid insight into one of the world’s leading ‘vocal gymnasts’, the singer reveals the full extent of the challenges of first-time motherhood and how she overcame her struggles.

Inspired by the experience, she wrote a song, Zero Gravity , which she will perform at the Eurovision semi-finals in Tel Aviv on Wednesday 15 May.

“Ultimately if I’m honest with myself, I’m an artist because I’m trying to work out what the hell’s wrong with me,” Miller-Heidke tells Australian Story. “That’s why I do end up sort of dragging out my little bits of shame and examining them in the light.”

Australia’s Eurovision creative director Paul Clarke says, “I just remember hearing that song and going, ‘Oh my god, this could win. Like this could actually win the competition.’”

The stakes are high and over 200 million people are expected to be watching. But despite the pomp and ceremony, Miller-Heidke is more concerned about surviving the time away from her young son.

Out of the Box features interviews with family, friends, and music legends Tina Arena and Ben Folds.

The Wronged Man

Monday 20 May at 8pm

Bumped to 27 May

1 Like

Update: above story bumped - replaced with a look back at Bob Hawk’s life in “Just Call Me Bob” compiled from previous 2-part episode.

Just Call Me Bob

Australian Story celebrates the extraordinary life and career of Bob Hawke, Australia’s most popular prime minister, who died last week aged 89

Hawke won four elections, becoming Labor’s longest-serving prime minister and overseeing profound economic and social reform. Eventually Hawke’s fruitful relationship with treasurer Paul Keating soured and he lost the leadership of the party, bringing to an end a stellar career

Hawke approached his final years content with his life and proud of his achievements, saying “I don’t think about death, I’m not frightened of death”.

This intimate portrait features extensive archive, including rare photos from the family’s private collection, and revealing interviews with Hawke, his biographer and second wife Blanche D’Alpuget and his three children.

2 Likes

The Wronged Man

Monday 27 May at 8pm

When Pamela Lawrence was brutally murdered in her Perth shop in 1994 police focused their investigation around one suspect, Andrew Mallard.

He quickly became the victim of an appalling miscarriage of justice, spending 12 years in jail for a crime he did not commit.

‘I had done nothing wrong,’ Mallard told Australian Story in 2010. ‘I was innocent, and I protested my innocence from the word go.’

Mallard’s family fought to release him, enlisting then WA Shadow Attorney-General John Quigley and journalist Colleen Egan who uncovered a shocking trail of deception and police misconduct.

But even after his conviction was quashed, Mallard’s life continued to be plagued by cruel twists of fate.

‘The Greeks talk about the goddess Clotho who spins people’s fate and all I can say is that Clotho was spinning against Andrew from the word go,’ says John Quigley, the current WA Attorney-General.

In this special episode of Australian Story , we revisit the story of Andrew Mallard and talk to the friends who stood by him until his untimely death last month.

1 Like

Lady Justice

Monday 3 June at 8pm

Introduced by Wentworth actor Leah Purcell

This week’s story tracks the fall and rise of Debbie Kilroy — from high security women’s prisoner to high-profile crusading lawyer.

Debbie was sentenced to six years for drug trafficking. She began university studies in jail and made history when she became the first person with a serious conviction to be admitted as ‘a fit and proper person’ to the bar of Queensland.

Earlier this year, Debbie mounted a spur-of-the-moment crowd-funding campaign to pay off the court debts of Indigenous women incarcerated in Western Australia for defaulting on fines.

The campaign raised over $400,000 and has led to the release of more than 11 women from prison.

Producer: Kristine Taylor
Producer: Emma Griffiths

https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/1134303902956810240

Australian Story will be taking a break again this year with new episodes of Back Roads moving into it’s timeslot from Monday 17 June.

After the World Ended

Monday 10 June at 8pm

Introduced by former foreign minister Julie Bishop

Anthony Maslin (Maz) and Marite Norris (Rin) faced the unimaginable when their "whole family was shot out of the sky”.

Malaysian Airlines flight MH17 was struck by a missile over a Ukrainian warzone in 2014.

The couple’s three children, Mo, Evie and Otis, along with their grandfather Nick Norris, became the faces of a senseless war crime.

As the five-year anniversary approaches, Maz and Rin share, for the first time, how they are coping with their loss and moving forward with strength, positivity and compassion.

Producer Vanessa Gorman

https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/1136521187096293376

1 Like

Australian Story - Series Return

Monday 12 August at 8.00pm

Australian Story returns with the shocking story of Yoshe Taylor — a Queensland mother duped into smuggling drugs for an international syndicate. In this two-part exclusive program, Australian Story investigates how a web of lies intertwined to gain Yoshe’s trust in a man named “Precious Max”, whom she’d met on a dating site. He promised friendship, business opportunities and emotional support before inviting Yoshe to Cambodia several times. It was on her third trip that authorities found 2kg of heroin stitched into a bag she was carrying.

Yoshe Taylor is speaking out for the first time since being released from a Cambodia prison in a surprising legal victory to warn others of the scam that’s turning innocent people into unsuspecting drug mules.

https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/1154686797672321024?s=20

1 Like

It will be mentioned on part 2 of Yoshe Taylor feature tonight.

Last Train to Boree Creek

Monday 26 August at 8.00pm

Introduced by Australian Story producer Ben Cheshire

Remembering the late Tim Fischer, who died on August 21, 2019, age 73.

A widely respected and quirky political figure, Mr Fischer’s remarkable career began as a 20-year-old conscript fighting in the jungles in Vietnam and ended in the Vatican as Australia’s top diplomat.

But the Boy from Boree Creek (a tiny town near Wagga Wagga) made his greatest contribution in politics as the deputy prime minister, and will be remembered for the key role he played in reforming Australia’s gun laws.

Recently as his health faded, Tim’s family invited Australian Story to join them on what turned out to be one of his last trips to his home town of Boree Creek.

By train, of course.

Monday 2 September at 8:00pm

The Good Fight

Monday 9 September at 8:00pm

Introduced by Olympic swimmer Nicole Livingstone

When Newcastle radio host Jill Emberson was told she had terminal ovarian cancer, she opted to go public and go loud.

She discovered her disease was the most neglected and deadliest of all womens’ cancers and vowed to improve awareness and research funding.

Her mission took her from scientific labs, to street protests and to Parliament House in Canberra, where her message finally cut through.

This is the story of Jill’s fight for her life and for a better deal for generations of women to come.

https://twitter.com/AustralianStory/status/1169394600198340609?s=20