Australian situation comedies

Yeah everyone needs to know when to laugh…

I don’t think so. Most of those were filmed in front of a live audience and had natural laughter and reactions.

It’s possible they might have used a laugh track to enhance the laughs on some jokes in later seasons of Hey Dad which was getting a bit old and tired but I’m pretty sure most of them real.

And Frontline had no laughs which is the better style of comedy… by far.

It seems Australians do.

Real or fake laughter - doesn’t really matter. I can’t even remember the last time Australia produced a situation comedy with laughter. The non laughter shows haven’t been working for a while now.

Because we don’t like it.

1 Like

because we haven’t made a studio based sitcom in yonks.

There are benefits to both types, just depends on which works better for the individual program being produced.

Ten just Launched Pilot Week with Dave starring Dave O’ Neil.

1 Like

ABC has “Back In Very Small Business”.

Ten thought they had one with “Street Smart”, but realised that there weren’t actually any jokes in it…

Still waiting for an new Australian sitcom with a laugh track. Ten should have tried one during pilot week.

1 Like

Why the hell would you want that? That is the worst type of comedy in existence. Hell no, to that!

2 Likes

I hate fake audience laugh tracks, especially if they are put on bits that are supposed to be funny when they are not. Its a real distractor for me, and just puts me off for the rest of the episode.

Fast Forward had a live studio audience for most of the series, but did Newlyweds have a laugh track or was that in front of a studio audience? I do remember that show very vividly. Was one of my favorites (obviously Hey Dad! not anymore due to obvious reasons).

1 Like

Why would you want that? It’s fake and corny.

I don’t watch a lot of TV these days but do the US or UK even make them anymore?

Many still do. While some are recorded in front of an audience, they have the laughs enhanced with a laugh track.

I recently saw a story on Entertainment tonight on The Big Bang Theory being recorded. The laughs were noticeably less enthusiastic than what you hear in the episodes.

1 Like

How could i have forgotten that one :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

According to this website, there are 13 American shows that use a laugh track.

I guess it’s so long since I’ve actually watched one that i just forgot they still existed

1 Like

Yeah. I can’t handle watching anything with fake laughs these days and as the website says, this type of comedy show seems to be on the way out.

Does it really matter if it’s a laugh track or studio audience? If it’s a studio audience then even better.

Australia can’t seem to do either.

1 Like

If it’s to direct the viewer to laugh at where they think the bits are funny. Then yeah I consider it a problem, and that it just destroys it. lol :slight_smile:

Of course it matters. It’s fake laughter.

A studio audience might give a show atmosphere when a show is not that funny but if the audience needs to be directed when to laugh, then it’s a weak show.

The trend is away from these type of shows so since Australia hasn’t done one like this for years we’re ahead of the trend.

1 Like