Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

No tjat is not the point. If here is a public vote and your voterd are saying they want something in a democracy you follow what they wish. That is a democracy. A dictatorship is one that doesn’t listen to the peoples views and does what they want anyway.

Never thought I would say this but I someehat respect Tony Abbott. Said he will be voting yes to pass the bill as its what his people wanted. I am very surprised. But thst is what a democracy is.

1 Like

And so he should. 75% of people in his electorate voted “Yes”.

If he had gone against that, then he wouldn’t have been representing their opinions.

3 Likes

Exactly what i was saying posts above when Labour senator in tasmania voted no.

I agree, what are your thoughts on the electorates who voted no?

Well, it should be the same really but in this case I’m in two minds about that. Considering there are so many pollies who are abstaining or voting against their electorates, I’m inclined to say they should vote the way the majority of Australians did to get the vote through.

They can refuse to vote as well?

6 Likes

Three weeks ago Tony Abbott told his sister Christine Forster that he would abstain in the parliament same sex marriage vote, and that is what he did today. Some media had been reporting that he would vote yes. Politicians are not elected to sit on the fence, Abbott should have voted.

1 Like

Didn’t Turnbull say that there would be religious protections or freedoms included in the bill

There are… https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Bills_Legislation/Bills_Search_Results/Result?bId=s1099

The same sex marriage bill was given Royal Assent by Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove this morning, and will become law at midnight tonight. With a minimum one month’s notice, expect a flood of marriages on January 9 next year.

1 Like

I hope the bakers are ready!

2 Likes

About time. What a hard and long journey this has been. I know many friends that have gone to counceling since this debate began. And although its a happy outcome there has been damage. A great outcome and its nice to feel equal.

3 Likes

One thing I noticed after watching the events via the ParlView video app on the Parliament House website is that it’s quite clear that that the ‘I Am Australian’ song that was sung by members of the public gallery after the bill was voted on was contrived and pre-planned, even though many media organisations reported that it was a spontaneous, on the spot thing.

If you look at the tapes, it’s obvious that it was pre-planned. They start singing the song after they inadvertently start celebrating after the amendments had been voted down and the content of the bill was agreed to, but the bill itself had not been voted on yet. The speaker reminds them that it’s not quite there yet and then they settle down.

Again, I probably need to mention that I support SSM but I really dislike this kind of manipulation by the media.

3 Likes

Shouldn’t attribute to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity.

The media is lazy.

And that’s a lazy generalisation. C’mon Matlock.

Well I didn’t claim my posting was any better. :slight_smile:

Disappointing that no media outlet whatsoever mentioned that this was pre-scripted.

About as spontaneous as a Barmy Army chant at the cricket. Of course some of them planned it, doesn’tstop others from spontaneously joining in.