Australian Postal Survey on Marriage Law

That’s why the concept of the postal plebiscite was flawed to begin with. $122 million of taxpayers money was wasted on a process which was less accurate and only reinforced what the likely outcome would have been anyway. It was always going to be a “yes” outcome. A referendum would have had much higher participation levels and taxpayers wouldn’t have had to fork out as much money towards it.

The $122 million could have been put towards much better purposes , like funding towards research into brain tumors (which receives very little in funding). As someone who has an uncle with a brain tumor, it frustrates me that so much money was wasted on a process like this. It should have been a referendum, not a postal plebiscite.

1 Like

In an election if one party won 133 of the 150 seats in the Lower House it would be the biggest landslide in electoral history. This was a very definitive vote. Game over.

2 Likes

Most of us would agree that the plebiscite was not ideal for various reasons. Regsrdless it happened and you are saying that this result is not truly indicative of Ausralia… when this result is.

Almost a quarter (21%) of the voting slips that were handed out were never returned. That’s a large proportion of eligible Australians who didn’t vote.

Geez there’s no point even trying with people like you. Talk about a brick wall.

4 Likes

If a postal vote cost $120m then how much would a full referendum have cost?

5 Likes

A referendum would have cost more. It would have needed the full AEC Federal election treatment with polling stations and worker in every electorate, pre-polling, postal voting and manual counting. Significantly more resources and costs.

3 Likes

The Constitution doesn’t state that, though it could be implied based on the understood definition of marriage at the time it was written.

You can’t argue against fact. 21% of voting slips were never returned and that won’t change. That’s still a significant proportion of people who didn’t take part in it, which ever way you look at it. How can anyone say that the postal plebiscite was truly indicative of Australia’s viewpoint on same-sex marriage, when so many people didn’t take part?

True, however at least it would have been a more accurate procedure in determining Australia’s stance on same-sex marriage.

I’m not sure why you are getting worked up about it. I’m not opposed to the outcome or am I opposed to legalising same-sex marriage. I’ve already mentioned that i’m glad the “yes” vote was the final outcome. However, in my opinion, the postal plebiscite was the wrong way to go about it and it should have been a referendum. That’s just my opinion.

Last Federal election 9% of the population didn’t vote and of those who did 5% voted informally . Take that off 21 and that leaves 7%. pffft

1 Like

Those become ‘no’ votes by default, anyway. And if that 21% wanted to be counted they should have participated. It wasn’t complicated.

Putting it to a referendum might have increased participation but it wouldn’t have made that much different to the end result.

2 Likes

Politicians are elected to do a job, if Andrew Hastie is not going to vote he should quit parliament.

1 Like

Actually s51 sets out the legislative powers the Commonwealth took over from the sates at federation. Yes marriage is one of them, but a referendum cannot be held on the Marriage Act 1961. To change it requires an amendment raised in either house and passed as any other legislation is. Only the constitution can be changed by a referendum.

1 Like

As would a proper plebiscite. Hence why we ended up with a voluntary survey.

4 Likes

Keysar Trad, the man who since 1998 has wanted a second wife, is pleased with the 75% no result in Blaxland and was surprised that it was so low.

1 Like

You’d think a guy like that would be all for SSM if it eventually delivers the so called slippery slope to polygamy that many in the No campaign have warned us of. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It looks like all the ads from the Coalition for Marriage were correct. My nephew just rang me from school. Now that same sex marriage is legal they are making the children wear strap-on dildos and chase each other around the playground for their sport period. They have also just announced that next year’s drama production is Brokeback Mountain. From next year the NSW HSC is offering 2 unit Lesbianism as a subject.

I should have listened to the ads - they were always playing during Judge Judy on Channel 10. I voted “yes” despite those angry women who were telling me that “It’s OK to vote No”. I can’t believe what’s happening.

4 Likes

What was the mood on the 339?

1 Like