Australian Ninja Warrior

Maybe they want it in a more publically visible spot thinking it might generate a bit of buzz around Melbourne (which the show desperately needs). I remember when I was in Vegas and catching an Uber form the airport to my hotel on the strip, we went past the American course. It looked really impressive in real life. It was all lit up at night with lights, spotlights etc shining everywhere. It was pretty impressive to see.

As announced at this afternoon’s Nine upfronts, the show will be tweaked (to satisfy some impatient viewers?) so that someone will be crowned the Australian Ninja Warrior. It was pointed out many times before it took seven seasons before a contestant conquered Mount Midoriyama in American Ninja Warrior.

The location for season 3 has been confirmed, from today’s Herald Sun report on Eddie McGuire and Sam Newman absent from today’s upfronts.

Australian Ninja Warrior will be filmed in Melbourne at a site in Spotswood next to Scienceworks.

From what I notice on Google Maps, it looks like the new location is the empty block between West Gate Bridge and Scienceworks museum, close to the Yarra River. The block is currently used as an overflow carpark for Scienceworks visitors. It is located in an industrial area so noise should not be issue, but the site being surrounded by three streets means people without a ticket could take a chance to have a peek.

Application for audience tickets for season 3 is now open here. Like the first two seasons, there will be late night filming sessions finishing at 2.30am, however there is a family ticket category which allows adults to bring in kids aged 10 and above to the recording (7pm arrival with for a 8:30pm to approx 10:30pm finish). And there will be food trucks at the audience zone.

The awarding of a ‘winner’ could actually backfire. It will definitely draw people in to get them invested who will be the winner but the average person is going to think that means they will complete the course. The lack of a ‘winner’ has dampened enthusiasm for a lot of people and they will possibly feel cheated that the winner doesn’t actually win in the way we have been told that they will.

After Andrew Flintoff was revealed as one of two new co-hosts of Top Gear in London yesterday, Nine has confirmed to Mediaweek that he will stay on as co-host of Ninja Warrior season 3.
https://mediaweek.com.au/top-gear-new-hosts/

3 Likes

Sunday Herald Sun reports today that construction for the set has begun at the site as I posted previously. It is highly visible from West Gate Bridge or across the Yarra from Fisherman’s Bend. Filming will start at the end of this month.

This show has been filming and I was offered tickets… however sessions go as late as 3am. Pretty ridiculous.

1 Like

I posted last month that there would be late night sessions finishing at 2.30am.

Also there is a new twist to the new season.

EDIT: local paper Hobson’s Bay Star Weekly said filming of season 3 started on November 15 and would finish on Saturday (December 1) with the grand final.

Drove over west gate last night after 12am was like Luna Park down there. Everyone in front slamming the brakes on trying to work out what on earth was going on down there.

They do pretty well to keep a lid on things pretty much no photos or anything across Social.

Grand Final was last night but weather turned on midnight was pretty wet and wild.

2 Likes

Although people who actually go to the filming can’t take photos, they can’t prevent people travelling on the West Gate Bridge from taking photos and posting them on social media.

Thing is, no one would stop on the West Gate bridge just to take photos of the Ninja course.

2 Likes

The rain hit my area (Glen Iris) around 3am from memory that night as it work me up. Although I did get up an hour or two earlier to bring in the washing as I heard some large gusts of wind. If filming goes till 3am it could have impacted.

Plus from the Westgate it’s not like you would see anything spoiler worthy, just a shot of the course from a distance.

From promo

2 Likes

In the first screencap you can see Scienceworks Museum on the right (the one with the round top). As I posted late last year, the set was built on the empty site which is normally used as an overflow carpark for Scienceworks. The public entrance is on the left facing Booker Street (you can see some people walking through) and I think the backstage is on the far left.
If Nine is starting to show the promo now, I assume it is planning to show Ninja Warrior in the same week as The Voice, once the latter reaches the live finals stage.

Promos are out today, and claiming we have a winner this year.

Nine will be hoping that specific marketing ploy will resonate some what in ratings improvement over last seasons average performance.

Or will people just watch the last episode I wonder.

Please don’t bring back past contestants. It was why I turned of last season.

Need to nail it this year. A horrendously expensive production to produce.

“winner”, read between the lines

It doesn’t necessarily mean he or she conquered Mount Midoriyama (the final hurdle).
Here is the promo:

Also, if you look up Scienceworks on Google Maps, you can clearly see the Ninja Warrior set on the neighbouring block, in a series of blue rectangles.

1 Like

I hope that this year we will have a winner.

The predictions of Ninja Warrior this year?

• Blistering
  • Same ratings as last year
  • A Turn off

0 voters