Audience Reach, Ownership Control and Local Content

Correct. It’s the typical response from the Bermudan, blame others, point the finger elsewhere. Childish and simplistic excuses yet ACMA do nothing.

At least ASIC took action.

3 Likes

Absolutely; he has no legitimate reason to own any shares in his competitors.

1 Like

Presumably so he can have shares in a well run regional TV network?

4 Likes

MS and Bruce Gordon seems to = :heart_eyes:

(:wink: :joy:)

None of the regional networks are “well run”. It cannot be afforded.

2 Likes

If he wasn’t just being a troublemaker/big-noting-himself, why did he only buy up 10%, why not 14.99%?
You snooze, you lose!

4 Likes

He could have launched a takeover bid at anytime, instead he waited until after Seven announced their merger to complain.

1 Like

Not without the cashflow that the metro networks have. Once Seven West owns Prime’s regional stations it can, in a perfect world, invest more money into it than Prime Media was able to.

2 Likes

Like a dog who doesn’t want a bone but does not want anyone else to have it, hope the share holders don’t fall for this.

2 Likes

Maybe in the short-term but it’ll be the same in the medium term, just not as close to zero like the regionals are now.

1 Like
1 Like

So is the Comms Minister saying the LNP’s recent media law changes have failed?
Bizarre that so soon after changing the law there’s this further push, apparently with no self-awareness of how that looks.

2 Likes

This is probably the best thread to share this following story.

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I think it’s only a matter of time before Prime Media is snapped up by someone, one of three scenarios.

1. Prime Media is acquired by Seven West Media either by merger or full acquisition

2. James Packer and Lachlan Murdoch acquire control of the network, either renegotiating the Prime7/Seven Network agreement, possibly approaching Nine Entertainment about a programming agreement or arranging to independently supply the network with programming (the latter being the least likely scenario if these two did acquire Prime7)

3. This is the least likely scenario. CBS and Ten network purchase Prime Media and change it to being part of the Ten group. Obstacles would include approvals under Australian law and then this doesn’t rid CBS/Ten from dealing with Bruce Gordon and WIN. It would however reduce the leverage Bruce Gordon has in negotiations.

2 Likes

James Packer has other priorities in life these days, I think, than flushing more money down the toilet by investing in Prime.

2 Likes

This is probably the most likely scenario to happen, however, Seven’s current financial position may throw in a few obstacles…

Now this is by far the most interesting scenario :thinking:

1 Like

but then would it be cbstenprime7 lol? because dont forget some stil has to be a 7 allfliate

Under this scenario, 7 would be in a position to affiliate themselves with WIN. So it would look like this (Central West):

WIN - 7
SC - 9
PRIME - 10

Confusing, I know :rofl:

I feel some pending mocks coming through :rofl: