ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

3CV’s transmitter was originally located between Wedderburn and Charlton with the CV being Charlton Victoira, 3CV Lane, where the transmitter was located still exists. I drove down 3CV lane a few years ago and there is still some evidence of where the tower and anchor points were. The transmitter was then moved to Carrisbrook where it is to this day and runs 5Kw directional so not to cause interference to a Queensland station on the same frequency. Due to the directional pattern, their AM reception in Bendigo was average at best, hence a 250 watt FM translator licence was issued to cover Bendigo City and 1071 AM to cover everywhere else including Ballarat.

4 Likes

Google now has 3CV Lane listed as Fitzpatricks Road

4 Likes

Bendigo was always a bit of a tricky one. In most DMG markets, the supplementary fm license corresponded on air to the previous am . Ie per 2MC, 2GZ and 2CS and the existing fm service became StarFm. In Bendigo , because of the dominance of 3BOFM as the hit music station the decision was made retain 3BO fm by reformatting to the best songs of all time and launch the new license , 91.9 brand new in October 99 as StarFm.

4 Likes

The heritage station moved to FM when the third commercial license became available in all those markets.

None became Star. The Star licences were on the s.39 of the stations if a solus market.

@Rob_Melb_AU has it right about 3BO being an FM conversion under the 1942 legislation. 3CV skewed younger in the 90’s, hence its evolution/devolution to Star.

3 Likes

That was true until when 3BO converted to FM in 1993, resulting in the latter to skew younger. That caused 3CV to skew older, especially when both stations then came under common ownership (Broadcast Media Group, later DMG) before swapping formats back when 3CV moved to FM as Star FM.

I have a print ad for 3CV on that 90s Ballarat visitors guide that I mentioned about earlier, which positioned themselves as playing “The Greatest Songs Ever Made”.

3 Likes

Back on topic, some highlights from HT&E’s half-yearly results released this morning that is relevant to this thread:

The integration programme is ahead of schedule and continues to gather momentum with ARN Regional radio revenues up 11%, delivering material cut through to EBITDA which is up 21%.

Total group costs were up 57% to $130.3 million from $83.0 million with $35.8 million of that ARN Regional related.

3 Likes

My point is that the heritage station in Bendigo, 3BO did not become Star.

3 Likes

Jules Zass leaving the Power FM Ballarat Breakfast show after 13 years.

2 Likes

awww :frowning: I liked listening to her :smiley: I wonder if they will find a new breakfast co-host, or just leave jack on his own as they did when Jules was on maternity leave

2 Likes

You might the gig Jason

2 Likes

That’s correct that 3BOfm didn’t become Star.
However the hit music programming such as Take40 and Nightzone were immediately moved to StarFm when it was launched so effectively StarFm replaced what was 3BOfm’s format. The new 3BOfm then assumed the format of 3CV which was transitioned to easy mix .

3 Likes

I’ve just noticed that 2EC & Power FM Far South Coast now have their new look websites. No doubt it will be rolled out to its other stations in due course.

4 Likes

River 94.9 are looking for a new Music Director/Announcer to replace Greg “Woody” Wood, who had been in the role since 2017.

4 Likes

I’m surprised River94.9 are still programming music locally.

3 Likes

Yes, but its playlist is also being exported to Bay 93.9, 3BA, LAFM/7SD, 7XS & Mix 104.9.

5 Likes

if a new music director is chosen , will the play list change?

3 Likes

I doubt that considering Bay isn’t part of the group anymore

2 Likes

According to Lava, as well as their website & cross-checking with the following other stations’ websites, Bay 93.9 still takes the same playlist as River 94.9 & some of the other aforementioned ARN Regional stations, despite not being owned by ARN. The same applies for K-Rock still taking the same log as ARN Regional’s Hot AC stations.

7 Likes

where does power FM Ballarat gets it playlists from again??? I know it is a radio station in Ipswich I think?

1 Like

Hopefully to a more Pure Gold format?

2 Likes