ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Looking forward to a Gympie RA1 survey, stations not listed share will be high.

1 Like

Yes, would be interesting, sandwiched in between Sunshine Coast and Maryborough markets… I imagine a Gympie survey would also include Noosa, whereby I am guessing HOT91, SEA and MIX would be more popular than 4GY (which is in stereo on FM107.1 there) and Zinc96.

Drove within RDS coverage of Hot 91 this evening.

Except Hot 91.1 wasn’t displaying.

The RDS had defaulted to ‘RDS PS’.

This is an ongoing problem for the station, usually happens on Friday evening and not fixed until Monday morning.

It’s slack. Why don’t the engineers, the Camerons have many, work on a permanent solution?

You can bet if it happened in Geelong, John Sandles wouldn’t let it fail repeatedly.

Contrasts with the great work @radioengineer does with Mix/Sea Sunshine Coast.

1 Like

Something must have happened at Bald Knob as Mix/Sea had missing RDS yesterday afternoon

Hot 91’s RDS failing is not usually contingent on there being a problem elsewhere. It happened repeatedly for consecutive weekends earlier in the year.

1 Like

Another intance posted in March

1 Like

Hey guys,

Radar Hill lost power due to a storm… HOT/ZINC as well as MIX and SEA all link thru Radar.

We have batteries on our microwave gear which held us up for 6 hours… Grants have their 850mhz STL and optimods there so they run UPS which died at 1pm… this had HOT on ISDN and ZINC on backup tape for 3-4 hours… I sent the PD a courtesy text and it was fixed not to long after.

We are lucky, we have the direct 850mhz STL which doesnt have RDS on it which kept us going. we have ISDN as path 3… As yet we havent had to use it in anger.

I think the problem with HOT’s RDS is the battery in the encoder… always happens when Radar Hill goes down.

Thanks for the kind words thou… I care about my stations, how they sound and being onair probably more then the average engineer :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You certainly do and it shows. It’s what being on-call should be about.

Three paths, very impressive.

If anyone wonders where Radar Hill is, drive north on the freeway bypass of Nambour, as you cross the Bli Bli Road (main Nambour exit), look to your right, NE of the road is Radar Hill.

String and tin cans are path 4!

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation @radioengineer I always like hearing about the technical side of things. Just curious though why you run via Radar Hill if you can run direct? Does Radar Hill give you more bandwidth or a better/more reliable path to BK?

1 Like

Hmm maybe for the Noosa part of that area. But in Gympie itself the reception of outside stations eg Sunshine Coast is just horrible. I would say based on Gympie itself, Zinc would have one of the biggest percentages recorded in regional surveys so far. And Triple J might be very high too as the only younger station available. Sea, Mix and Hot 91 aren’t really an option, and 4GY…well no.
The Maryborough stations don’t get into Gympie at all.

2 Likes

Hot 91 RDS still not working this morning. I am guessing that the 97.9 relay could be unaffected? I can’t get RDS on it from Brisbane.

I’m getting this in Maroochydore, nothing coming up on 97.9

3 Likes

I don’t think the relay on 97.9 has even been switched on? I could be wrong.

1 Like

I thought that 97.9 Hot91 for Noosa was switched on years ago - it was on there back in the mid 00s.

1 Like

It’s on air but no RDS

2 Likes

Gympie is another area where radio is poor. Last time I was there, you had Zinc playing Classic Hits, 4GY playing Classic Hits and talkback. The only younger station I could pick up was Triple J. I thought they had a repeater for Hot 91 but I could not find it. 10KM’s north of Gympie I could pick up Rebel FM and The Breeze which both are awesome stations.

1 Like

Which Rebel/Breeze stations were you getting?

Wide Bay? (Childers / Gin Gin).

1 Like

I think The Rebel was from the Wide Bay mate. The Breeze was pretty patchy, so I don’t think it was from the Wide Bay.

3 Likes

The relays that are on air in Noosa are Hot 91.1 on 97.9, Zinc on 100.5 and 4GY on 107.1 as well as the community station on 101.3. 97.9 and 100.5 have RDS but not alternative frequency. 97.9 isn’t coming in strong enough in Brisbane at the moment to decode the RDS though.