ARIA Awards

Yeah but why mention him now?

Nick Bennett has been “the voice of the ARIAs” for more than a decade. I’d say Nine wanted Wilkins to host instead?

Can’t say I’ve necessarily associated him with the ARIAs.

Yes but I’m not sure Richard Wilkins is really the voice that people most interested in the ARIAs would want to hear. Maybe their grandparents would be excited about hearing his voice? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: But Nick Bennett is also a name I probably associate with music from back in the 80s or 90s.

Perhaps Smallzy or Ash London should be the voice for the 2010s?

The last time I heard Nick Bennett associated with a music radio station, I think it was 2CH…unless I’m thinking about a different Nick Bennett (which is possible)!

I’d probably say the latter is more likely than the former while Nine has the ARIAs, knowing the network’s links to SCA (eg, regional stations) while Nova is more associated with Ten.

Before he popped up on Talking Lifestyle he was on Hope 103.2.

I’d say most of Australia didn’t know the ARIAs were on last night.

1 Like

There must have been complaints for this to end up in court.

ARIA Awards return to Sydney and the Nine Network

The 2018 ARIA Awards will return to the Nine Network to celebrate the biggest night in Australian music, with the ceremony and ARIA Week also confirmed to remain in Sydney until at least 2020 thanks to the support of the NSW Government.

Following the tremendous success of the 31st Annual ARIA Awards, Australia’s best artists will come together on Wednesday 28th November to salute the amazing achievements of the Australian music industry over the past year. Supported by the NSW Government’s tourism and major events agency, Destination NSW, the ceremony will be broadcast from Sydney to screens across Australia on the Nine Network.

The 2017 ARIA Awards was a TV ratings success - delivering a 31% increase in audience numbers, the biggest audience since 2010, and winning its time slot in total people and all demographics, including both 25-54s and under 55s. #ARIAs was also the #1 event on social media for the evening, trending at #1 on Twitter nationally and in every capital city in Australia, and peaking at #2 around the world.

Denis Handlin AO, ARIA Chairman and Chairman and CEO of Sony Music Entertainment Australia and New Zealand and President, Asia, said: “On behalf of the ARIA Board, we look forward to another wonderful celebration of Australian music at this year’s ARIA Awards, as we recognise those artists that have captured the nation’s imagination over the past twelve months.

“ARIA is delighted to partner with the Nine Network again. After last year’s successful return to the network, we look forward to continue working with Nine’s CEO Hugh Marks and his team to produce another world-class event that celebrates all that is great in Australian music.”

Adrian Swift, Head of Content Production and Development at Nine Network Australia, said: “We are proud to be broadcasting the 32nd Annual ARIA Awards on Nine, following the fantastic success of last year’s event. We remain committed to Australian music and delivering the greatest live events and entertainment to viewers across Australia.”

ARIA is also excited to announce returning partner Destination NSW for this year’s ARIA Awards.

Dan Rosen, ARIA Chief Executive, said: “ARIA is thrilled to announce that the Nine Network will again host the flagship event of the Australian music calendar - the 32nd Annual ARIA Awards.

We would also like to welcome back returning partners, the NSW Government, through Destination NSW, and thank them for their passionate support of the ARIA Awards and ARIA Week. We look forward to partnering with them again in 2018 as we celebrate a remarkable year in Australian music, and onwards to 2020.”

NSW Minister for Tourism and Major Events Adam Marshall, said: “These iconic events will provide a significant boost to the State’s visitor economy while cementing Sydney’s reputation as the nation’s music capital and a leading creative services hub in the Asia Pacific.”

There have been a host of Australian successes on the ARIA Charts over the last twelve months from artists including 5 Seconds Of Summer, Amy Shark, Courtney Barnett, Delta Goodrem, Keith Urban, Kylie Minogue, Peking Duk, Pnau, Parkway Drive, Sheppard, Troye Sivan and Vance Joy. These achievements, combined with iconic live performances, collaborations, and a very special Hall of Fame induction, ensures we are in for an unforgettable night on Wednesday 28th November 2018.

Stay tuned for more exciting announcements about the 2018 ARIA Awards.

Should be a better show this year considering more Aussie artists are having chart success at the moment like 5 Seconds of Summer, Any Shark and Dean Lewis.

Nine or 9Go! I wonder?

It was on Nine last year so can’t see why they shouldn’t screen it again. The 9 logo appears in the press release and on social media.

1 Like

The same date as last year on Tuesday 28th November 2017!

KEITH URBAN TO HOST 2018 ARIA AWARDS ON NINE

28 November

Australian superstar Keith Urban will return home to host the 32nd Annual ARIA Awards on November 28, exclusive to Nine and 9Now.

“I’m really looking forward to coming home and celebrating an incredible year of Australian music,” said Urban, a multiple ARIA and American Grammy Award-winning artist. “There’s been so many impressive releases this year. It’s going to be a tough competition, but we get to recognise and honour the best of the best at Aussie music’s night of nights.”

With incredible success in Australia and the USA, Urban has sold millions of albums, songs and concert tickets worldwide. He has had 24 number one hits in the USA, won four Grammy Awards, 12 CMA (Country Music Association) Awards, 11 ACM (Academy of Country Music) Awards, and become one of the biggest artists in the world.

“We are thrilled that Keith is hosting the ARIAs this year,” said Richard Wilkins, Nine’s Entertainment Editor. “We at Nine have great affection for Keith going back to his role as Coach on The Voice and I’ve long been a major fan, he’s an incredible talent and a great guy, it’s going to be whole lot of fun!”

Graffiti U , his new album, hit number two on the ARIA album chart. His platinum-seller Ripcord was the second highest selling album in Australia in 2016, spending 27 weeks in the Top 10 and 46 weeks in the Top 20 ARIA Albums Chart.

Urban, a singer-songwriter, guitar maestro and producer, has had 14 ARIA platinum-selling singles and albums that have earned him five ARIA Awards to date.

Dan Rosen, Chief Executive of the Australian Recording Industry Association, said: “ARIA is honoured and excited to welcome back superstar Keith Urban to join us in Sydney to celebrate the 2018 ARIAs. To have one of Australia’s biggest stars hosting this year’s ceremony is phenomenal. Our music fans are in for a real treat.”

Great choice.
The announcement of host means nominations should be revealed within the next couple of days.
Will the ARIA Awards be open to the public this year? In the past two years, tickets for the awards ceremony went on sale on the same week as nominations were revealed.

Have we seen him host anything else before?

He hosted Sunrise once and hosted his own weekend one hour show on Smooth FM.

Keith Urban’s big proposal.

YouTube clip with Richard Wilkins.

So does it mean no Channel TEN coverage for the second time this year?

Well, I think that was obvious from the press release.

ARIA Award nominees announced