Analysis of the ratings system

That’s rubbish. They would program appropriately. Most countries have year round measurement. Australia is one of the few that follows the American style of not counting summer ratings.

2 Likes

Sorta how I was looking at it.
I’m not thinking about launching local shows such as The Block during summer (etc), but more along the lines of fast-tracking US shows so that we don’t wait until the start of the ratings seasons. Obviously new local shows would be a good addition too though.

I think it would work. Look at America these days. They have big shows like Big Brother, The Bachelorette and America’s Got Talent in what we call non-ratings period.

Question about Seven News & Nine News Gold Coast (during weekday late afternoons):

Recent articles (when discusisng shut-down of weekend bulletin) mentioned executives were “happy” with the ratings for the bulletin (Seven), but was due to cost cutting.

As it is under “Ch 7 Gold Coast” (Seven O&O) and therefore metro (OzTam), how would they get the ratings for these bulletins? (i.e.) OzTam doesn’t provide ratings for Gold Coast, only “Brisbane” (5 city).

My guess:

The coding for these bulletins may produce a rating for “Brisbane” (BTQ station), but that actually reflects the Gold Coast transmitter area, as it wouldn’t be broadcast to Brisbane transmitter area.

Correct?

People meter boxes know which transmitter (Gold Coast or Brisbane) people are watching and that a rating for the Gold Coast news is provided to broadcasters.

2 Likes

Thank you, I understand that.

But the program would still have to be coded with OzTam and come under Syd, Melb, Bris, Adel or Per wouldn’t it?

I just assumed logically it’d appear under Brisbane and the network would know that audience was obviously the Gold Coast transmitter area.

Obviously not.

1 Like

A new ratings year starts Sunday 31 Dec with official ratings commencing week 7 on 11 February.

This table shows the estimated TV audience for each of the 5 city markets used by OzTAM for its 2018 analysis (in '000’s) plus the population for 2017 and the increase.

OzTAM will resume normal delivery of ratings information 2 January.

4 Likes

Why is Melbourne catchment higher than Sydney?

Why the big increase for Brisbane, a city many predicted would be overtaken by Perth in the near future with the latter’s population growth (some programs in Perth like MKR and Little Big Shots outrate Brisbane during the year too).

Thank you Cynic, interesting data.

1 Like

Brisbane is a weird one because we have several satellite cities. Brisbane’s OzTam area is Brisbane (2.5 mil), plus the Gold Coast (600k) and parts of the Sunny Coast. Brisbane metro area (Brisbane + Caboolture + Logan + Ipswich) will probably fall behind Perth, but the entire SE Queensland metropolitian conurbation will by that stage be over 6 million - much larger than Perth. Some are already thinking the SE Qld region should be renamed to better reflect the fact that the urban sprawl of ‘Brisbane’ is much larger than Brisbane itself.

By 2050 urban sprawl in SEQ will pretty much expand from the Sunny Coast to the Gold Coast and out to Ipswich. That whole area, especially in some areas of the GC and Springfield, is growing much faster (like 10-20% a year).

3 Likes

Possibly because there are more households with TV in the market that OzTam defines as Melbourne even though Sydney is (currently, but of course that may change in the future) the larger city?

Along with the situation with South East Queensland that has already been mentioned, I’d imagine those OzTam estimated TV audience numbers would include Geelong on top of Melbourne’s figures and the NSW Central Coast/Katoomba regions along with Sydney’s figures. Not too sure whether Adelaide & Perth have any satellite cities that would be included with the OzTam TV ratings areas for those two cities though.

Although that would be great from the perspective from a TV viewer, realistically that will never happen.

Personally, I think each year’s ratings season should just be moved forward a week or two (Late January/Early February to mid-November) and be left at that.

Times change and ratings measurements and networks need to change with them. If the networks just give up in certain weeks of the year then streaming services will just pound them to death in those weeks.

Evening slots need to change too. There are more people watching at 5.30pm than at 11.30pm. Evenings should be 5pm to 11pm not 6pm to 12am.

1 Like

Is there anywhere other than the every-so-often ACMA population determinations (most recent from April 2016) that the license populations can be found for all of the non-east coast markets? Just curious.

Is this what you mean - Universe estimates for regional TV - incl Tas and WA

It’s now after 2am in Sydney and Melbourne & telecast still airing, so what happens with tonight’s (Saturday) OzTam coding for Winter Olympics?

As program logs can only go up until 2am for a given day’s data measurement.

If a program was supposed to finish at 2am the preliminary ratings will be given; then that will be adjusted later. However, nothing past midnight counts towards the day’s share. Ratings for programs that finish up until 2am are included for information purposes.

3 Likes

I have looked but can’t find anything, so will ask the question, sorry if it’s been answered elsewhere.

why is metro used as the main number for TV ratings rather than combined metro and regional number? is it all Oztam are willing to give or is there another reason?

OzTAM is owned by the metro networks and only records and distributes metro ratings. They allow a wide range of media organisations to publish their data under strict conditions. The regional stations have their own ratings company - Regional TAM.

1 Like

Thank you

Shame it’s not all together, would be interesting to compare programs that are popular in the city as opposed to country.
I suppose it all comes down to cost and what you are willing to pay for information