Analysis of the ratings system

TV Tonight does some more numbers crunching on timeshifted viewing of dramas. An interesting comparison. Some do better overnight; others do heaps better over the week or month.

Question @TV.Cynic:

When you see articles that quote a national (metro + regional) figure for (e.g.) “SEVEN NEWS”.

Does that literally only include markets where the metro 6pm bulletin is aired?

(i.e.) “SCTV News” (Tasmania) wouldn’t be included would it?

Depends where the info is coming from. If it is from Seven in a media release, my answer would be that I don’t know. I haven’t been able to work out where their metro + regional numbers come from. If it was from Free TV, it would be more likely to be metro plus the aggregated markets but there would probably be a footnote with the info.

No, just the overnight ratings from RegTAM.

I think “Seven News” or “Nine News” total regional figures, are all the nightly bulletins (whether they’re the metro news or Prime7 News, SCTV News, NBN News, etc) combined.

(i.e.) 6pm

The Seven News figure is for news from the capital city so in some Prime areas it is one hour at 6pm, in others it is 6.30pm in Queensland it is a 30 minute bulletin at 6.30. Anything labelled local news is separate. For Nine News, however, NBN News is added to the capital city relay because it is a composite bulletin. In all cases only includes NSW, Vic and Qld.

1 Like

It’s alright, I worked it out.

When Seven News quote a ‘national’ figure, they’re including:

•5 city metro
•Aggregated east coast regional
•Regional TAS
•Regional WA

NB/
Yes, even though some regional markets don’t get the metro news at 6pm, etc.

As I said above, I don’t know what the numbers represent that appear in Seven’s releases. They don’t match what you have.

1 Like

They did when I worked it out :+1:

As in, I chose a random Weekly Ratings Release from Seven West Media website.

And found the corresponding OzTam & RegTAM releases from that week.

“Seven News - Saturday” (for example) combining the 5 city metro & regional markets = the exact number from Seven’s release.

–

So when newspapers/media websites publish on a daily basis (for example) “and Seven News had {number can’t be mentioned here} national viewers last night” or "Seven News had {number can’t be mentioned here} regional viewers last night, they were DEFINITELY adding up:

•“Seven News” 5 city metro
•“Seven News” aggregated east coast regional
•“SCTV News” regional TAS
•“Seven News” regional WA

NB/
Which I disagree they should do/analyse, because SCTV News technically isn’t a metro 6pm bulletin. Neither is 7 Local News in regional QLD, etc. But they add it up like that anyway, as it’s the only way to get a ‘national’ figure for say 6-7pm hour.

###OzTAM adds ‘Total Grocery Shoppers’ demographic to TV ratings database

OzTAM will introduce a ‘Total Grocery Shoppers’ demographic to its TV ratings database from week 1 of the 2017 ratings year (week commencing Sunday 1st January, 2017).

This new variable will be in addition to the long-standing ‘Main Grocery Buyer’ demographic, and recognises that Australian shopping patterns are changing: often more than one person in a household now does the shopping and/or influences supermarket purchases.

“The traditional ‘weekly shop’ by a main grocery buyer is increasingly less typical in Australian homes,” OzTAM CEO Doug Peiffer said.

“People now shop multiple times during the week, with duties often shared between parents and other family members. There are also more shared households in which people do their own grocery buying.

“In light of these changes it makes sense for OzTAM to introduce a demographic with a broader definition of the target and reach of all grocery shoppers within a home.

The new ‘Total Grocery Shoppers’ variable joins ‘Main Grocery Buyer’, and OzTAM data subscribers can use both for a more comprehensive picture of who shops and influences purchasing decisions in Australian homes.”

The additional ‘Total Grocery Shoppers’ demographic reflects changing household characteristics and behaviours (and, therefore, patterns of grocery buying) including:

• Delaying marriage and having children;
  • Households where both parents work and share responsibility for grocery shopping;
  • Young adult children leaving home at a later stage, and contributing to household grocery shopping;
  • Increasing incidence of shared households, where individuals do their own shopping;
  • Busy schedules, where meals are often not planned in advance;
  • Australians’ increasing emphasis on fresh produce, and the quest for ‘discovery’ and finding something new in-store;
  • Increasing trial of online shopping, which enables more household members to research products and influence purchase decisions.
1 Like

OzTAM has only just realised this! This has been happening for many years.

1 Like

It would be really good if somebody had access to the ‘main grocery buyers’ demo.

I’d imagine programs like MasterChef & MKR (with Coles as a major advertiser/sponsor) would top that demo?

You can buy your own subscription to OzTAM, then you would have it. But the terms and conditions probably mean you can’t share it with anyone else.

MKR and MC top just about every demo. Just because a show has some connection to groceries or food doesn’t make it popular with grocery buyers. They aren’t much different to the 3 younger demos ie they overwhelmingly watch commercial TV, but prefer The Block to First Dates and like Australian drama a lot more than other demos.

2 Likes

With Nielsen’s peoplemeters, I believe they convert sound (from a TV program) to determine a program.

So with DVR recordings, a person on a panel must need to manually enter the info / press another button(s), because there would be no sound?

Why would there not be any sound? Unless the sound is muted while someone is on the phone.

Reminder that OzTAM has advised that “Programs with the same name on one or more primary or multi Seven, Ten or SBS channel, are aggregated into one network figure.”

I am expecting that the most obvious result of this will occur with ratings for the Big Bash cricket this season reported as a combined rating for Ten and ONE (if coded correctly).

(No idea why Nine and/or ABC are not included).

3 Likes

Is Seven going to finally combine the AFL ratings into one figure across Seven and 7mate this coming season?

1 Like

Might depend if the same game is shown across the markets; if it is I would think so.

1 Like

If that’s the case with Seven’s AFL coverage, then metro ratings should consistently be in the 600-800k range.

As 7Mate (Perth + Sydney + Brisbane) pulls around 200-300k itself.

Aren’t OzTam trying to work out a way of combing all the measurements into one figure soon @TV.Cynic? (i.e.) metro overnight + consolidated + online VPM?

Happy ratings New Year :boom:

Today is the first day of this year’s ratings. There will be 52 weeks of ratings compared to 53 in 2016 with 30 December the last day. That means no NYE fireworks in the 2017 ratings - there were two this year!

Official survey period starts as usual with week 7 on 12 February. Easter is weeks 15 and 16 (9-22 April) this year and the survey finishes 2 December.

OzTAM have been on holidays for the last week with no ratings information provided. They return Tuesday 3 January.

5 Likes