Analysis of the ratings system

I’m guessing that TV ratings aren’t measured in those areas due to the large coverage area/small population? And of course due to the fact that all commercial TV stations in Regional SA/Broken Hill are owned and operated by either WIN or SCA, which means pretty much no competition for local TV advertising.

Although I’m sure that TV stations in the smaller regional/remote areas of the country would have to do some sort of surveys or informal tracking so the networks know how much to charge advertisers and advertisers know which programs are worth spending ad time in.

@TV.Cynic @TelevisionAU @Ryan

Was just having a look back through the years (2001 to present) & I noticed something VERY odd :confused:

“Ten News - First At Five (Sunday)” got 2.2m (metro) in 2002?

WHAT THE HECK!?

Could it have been the day after the 2002 AFL Grand Final, where Brisbane Lions went back-to-back?

(Nine News from a Sunday was also listed that year).

Of a major news event? Or TV event?

Without any specific date it is difficult, but how about the Bali Bombings? They occurred late ona Saturday IIRC

1 Like

a date would be helpful

Ten News Sunday got 2.4 million in 2002 on the Sunday following the Bali bombings.

1 Like

@OnAir @TelevisionAU @TV.Cynic

Thanks for fielding that one, lads

3 Likes

Thanks heaps guys, great memory/thought.

(It appeared in the OzTam list of the most watched programs of 2002 - Source: Screen Australia).

But wow, Ten News (nor any news service) will ever see a metro number like that again!

Google is your friend. You could have googled the date yourself to see what was big news that day.

There was no date provided.

It just said “Ten News - First At Five (Sunday)” sometime in 2002.

Highly unlikely yes, although a world stopping event like September 11 may see it get close although unlikely.

1 Like

130,000+ homes are without power in VIC.

Worst winds expected over the next few hours.

Wonder if OzTam / RegionalTAM will have to issue a statement tomorrow morning? Depending on how many homes are without power, especially tonight?

Major TV markets.

The Age at 4pm reported 13,000 homes. I doubt this will bother OzTAM.

No, EMV just said on 3AW it’s around 200,000 across Melb & VIC now…

It would bother OzTam & Regional TAM is metered homes turn up BLANK tomorrow morning.

I was just wondering, thank you for replying :slight_smile:

Thank you for clarification seemingly The Age lost a zero in its reporting.

But if they’re only blank because certain households did no viewing due to a power outage then it’s a correct report. If a network feels disadvantaged enough by it then they might throw in some encores later in the week. But I don’t think we’re talking on the same scale as SA which had the whole state affected.

2 Likes

Yeah true.

I mean imagine a state like NSW or VIC being totally blacked-out :fearful:

@TV.Cynic
Could you please explain regional WA to me? :slight_smile:

I was having a look at the RegionalTAM ratings & they’re so low, even lower than Tasmania.

I would’ve thought the AFL GF, MKR finale or Perth Telethon would’ve rated the highest in regional WA, but if those numbers are the highest it can pull?

Mustn’t be many panels?

They are roughly the same size. Regional WA - 550,000 population, Tasmania 520,000

1 Like

So either there are more panels in Tasmania or Tasmania have more TVs or more people watch TV in Tasmania?..

The viewing numbers for WA are roughly the same as Tasmania on most weeks e.g. for news etc. Just fewer watched the AFL finals in WA than Tasmania.

1 Like

what do you mean by the number of panels? You mean number of panel members? The number of members is in proportion to the population. Regardless of how many members are in a market their viewing habits are always going to be extrapolated to reflect the overall market size. Whether there are 2000 meters or 10,000 it’s not going to change the number of viewers reported.

1 Like