Analysis of the ratings system

Gonna be quite interesting to see if any programs primarily aimed at children/teenagers make these lists.

You’d think some ABC KIDS titles should make it in List #1, but anything on ABC ME, 9Go! and 10 Peach?

The list is the same national top 10 now published but with the addition of the demos for each of those top 10 shows - no extra shows or lists.

1 Like

This is my first draft table of the national top 20 VPM shows for last week with the demo breakdown for each segment.

Depending on any feedback, I will extend this to the top 5 for each network as well.

Children 00- 12
Children 13- 17
Female 18- 24
Female 25- 39
Female 40- 54
Female 55- 64
Female 65+
Male 18- 24
Male 25- 39
Male 40- 54
Male 55- 64
Male 65+

5 Likes

Chief Revenue Officer Kurt Burnette now talks to advertisers. VOZ ratings are finally coming for the industry. Another hurrah.

I don’t think that’s a particularly healthy way to look at television ratings. My viewing habits don’t look anything like those of the average OzTAM ratings box holder but at the same time, the system has to produce a reasonably accurate picture of what the nation is watching otherwise broadcasters and advertisers wouldn’t make crucial decisions based off it.

Sure, it’s true there are many people out there who don’t have (or want) a ratings box but since you’re highly unlikely to get all 25 million or so Australians agreeing on anything, we just have to deal with an imperfect system.

A new ratings year starts today Sunday 27 Dec

This table shows the estimated TV audience for each of the 5 city markets that will be used by OzTAM for its 2021 analysis (in '000’s) plus the population for 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017. 2018 was the first year that Melbourne potentially had the highest TV audience. This year OzTAM are expecting a small increase of 0.5% in population in the 5-city catchment area than 2020. The increase from 2019 to 2020 was 1.2%.

3 Likes

so im guessing all of melbournes 5 million people will be used by oztam or is that 0.5% of the 5 mill?>

The “approximate sample size” used to estimate Melbourne’s ratings is 3,510

1 Like

so do we know when Voz is set to take place? because I don’t know if I dreaming this or not but I thought I saw somewhere it was going to start this month??

What? Nine gets 50% of their regional affiliates revenue, so surely it is in their interest to know what the ratings are in regional areas. On Twitter this week Nine is trumpeting the national ratings of the tennis, so they actually do care about the regional ratings.

2 Likes

thats strange how 9 doesnt really thinks it doesnt make sence since they dont monetise regional revenue

I wonder if they trying to talk down regional ratings as Prime / 7QLD more often than not out-rates the Nines? :wink:

3 Likes

even 10 really doesn’t care either. they said its metro 1st then regional 2nd

No surprise that Seven & the public broadcasters are in favour of a national ratings system, while Nine & Ten are fine with the status quo.

While I certainly like the idea of a national ratings system, at the same time I also hope we’d still get an individual market breakdown of how individual shows rate. As things stand now, viewer habits in Sydney and Perth are usually very different so no doubt there’d also be some divergences between say, Northern NSW and Regional WA.

I’m sure Nine would love us to see the ratings for Northern NSW, but not so much across the rest of regional Australia (even though they’re performing respectably compared to WIN with largely city-centric Ten content) due to the dominance of Seven affiliates and programming out there.

2 Likes

While there are national ratings numbers there is no such thing as a national share. I think Nine would be the most against an change as Southern Cross always seems to underperform their metro affiliate - Nine now and 10 in the past. Prime especially but WIN also seem to do as well or better than the metro stations.

1 Like

Given the networks change the ratings they use based on the narrative they want to spin, can’t say I’m surprised at the responses.

2 Likes

Summary:

• Extensive progress had been made on VOZ development in calendar 2020.

• VOZ was more complex than we ever could have imagined.

• "Our target is to deliver daily VOZ data to subscribing clients in June .”

Latest VOZ insights confirm future of TV is linear + BVOD

The latest insights from Virtual Australia (‘VOZ’) – the foundation of Australia’s forthcoming Total TV reporting standard – confirm that television is now an everywhere, multi-device medium.

That means advertisers looking to tap TV’s full power need to consider the complete array of TV assets across channels, screens and platforms.

Speaking at the Future of TV Advertising Sydney forum today, OzTAM CEO Doug Peiffer shared top line test data from VOZ, the new all-screen, cross-platform Total TV planning and reporting database.

OzTAM, Regional TAM and Nielsen are working towards commencing daily VOZ data delivery to subscribing clients in June.

Doug Peiffer said: “ The latest VOZ test data illustrates the extent to which TV has become a multi-device, everywhere medium, and why advertisers need a strategic presence across all assets in the TV ecosystem.

“This is where VOZ comes to the fore, as the only service in this market that can deliver Total TV measurement, with demographic profiles, across all screens and devices nationally.

VOZ data clearly shows the future of TV is linear + BVOD, and enables us to track how the Total TV marketplace continues to evolve .”

The latest VOZ test data reveals:

Mr Peiffer noted extensive progress had been made on VOZ development in calendar 2020.

OzTAM and Nielsen built the tools needed to deliver initial VOZ test data to subscribers – including dashboards and a web-access reach & frequency portal.

Meanwhile, third party software suppliers (TPSS) have made great strides in developing analytical software that will allow clients to interrogate the VOZ database.

These VOZ collection, fusion and production processes had to be built from the ground up.

Mr Peiffer continued : “ VOZ was more complex than we ever could have imagined.

“We leveraged all the datasets we have – OzTAM and Regional TAM linear TV ratings, streaming TV meters, and BVOD – and created a representative modelled universe of over 25 million Australians to bring it all together.

We began delivering daily test data in December and are taking broadcaster and TPSS feedback on board.

Now we are working to refine the VOZ methodology to ensure VOZ estimates closely align with the established TV and BVOD currencies across the board.

Our target is to deliver daily VOZ data to subscribing clients in June .”

Virtual Australia (‘VOZ’) is the foundation of Australia’s forthcoming national Total TV reporting standard. VOZ brings together broadcaster* content viewed on TV sets (linear TV) and connected devices (BVOD) to provide all-screen, cross-platform planning and reporting for Australia’s television industry.

VOZ has also been built to allow the industry to agree a common set of audience groups or segments in future that reflect buying behaviour and support planning and post-analysis beyond standard age/sex demographics.

I’m sure this is a stupid question, but would the TVs in newsrooms/internally in networks/shop showrooms be counted in ratings numbers? Or is it only residential?